X

Pre project planning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre project planning

Hey guys! So I have read some of the postings before but just signed up for the site today. I wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope this is okay.

I bought a 2006 Katana 600 in August of 2011 as my first bike. I like the feel, the look, and the comfort of the Katana compared to other bikes I have since tried out. In December some crack heads ripped it off and then tried to return it to me when I posted a $1000.00 reward for it. So I was lucky enough to get him back (Rumpelstiltskin) is what I named him, since I couldn't figure out a name . . . it seemed to fit. Off topic . . . sorry! Since I am one of the lucky few to get their bike back, although it needed repairs afterwards, I feel like I am destined to be with this bike. With that being said I wanted to upgrade and do specific mods in the next year or so.

I have read some of the postings and I like the idea about putting a GSXR 1100 motor in it, I am thinking about a '92, if I can find one. This one may take a while. If this engine would even work for the '06 Katana.

I am getting a new set of complete fairings done since the jerks laid mine down in a truck when they swiped it, which scratched up a lot of the bike and broke the under belly fairing. I am going to do all black with no markings, for the simple fact I will be getting a custom paint job afterwards. I am not getting some cheap ebay fairings. I am getting them done at FastFairings.com which is here in GA and were recommended to me by a few different custom shops.

I want to get a swing arm and a thicker rear tire, but I don't know which kind of swing arm will work since they don't make them for Katanas and also if the bigger I go in tire would reduce any control with the bike.

I ordered an integrated brake/blinker light the other day so I will be able to remove the rear blinkers. I am going to cut off the rear mudflap and bolt the license plate directly under the brake light and also take off the bars that hang below the seat/above the back tire.

I have already added a green led kit which accents the bike and adds ground effects at night. (Did this mostly because I am on the interstate a lot and noticed bikes are extremely hard to see out there).

I am also going to upgrade the seat either by ordering a custom one or seeing if my girlfriends uncle can fabricate one.

There are other tiny details I want to do to the bike, such as the H4 headlights which I ordered already, painting the rims to match my theme or chrome them. . . I haven't decided yet, and possibly getting a custom paint job on the new fairings, new exhaust, mesh upgrade for the holes, take out the front blinkers and mesh those holes once I add mirrors with blinkers.

My girlfriends uncle does custom bikes (mostly Harleys), but does some street bikes as well. This will keep a lot of the labor costs down for me and he does a lot of painting jobs that resemble H. R. Giger. I don't think he has done the specific things I want to do on a Katana though, so any advice on any problems you could foresee would be great.

I am not going to do the engine upgrade until I have a second vehicle, since I only have the Katana as my vehicle right now, so probably in the winter once I buy a truck. So obviously I will have a 600 engine sitting around. My girlfriend wants to learn to ride, so what body types could I stick the '06 600 engine in? I was thinking of starting her off on a 250 and just upgrading the engine... is that possible?

Sorry for the long post. Before I start any upgrades I will take before pics and probably make a video for Youtube.
    Last edited by Oddy Turner; 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM.
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages.

Check out the how-to's and the stickies in the Mechanics 101 section. Good stuff like this in there: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49487

Comment

Thanks Red!!!!
      All the world's a stage,

Comment

Didn't see anything in the other thread about this.

My girlfriend wants to learn to ride, so what body types could I stick the '06 600 engine in? I was thinking of starting her off on a 250 and just upgrading the engine... is that possible?
        All the world's a stage,

Comment

Welcome to the funny farm!
          For a wider swingarm you need to contact Kreylyn. He mods Kat swingarms to take a 5.5" GSXR rim.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

i dont think so the only way that would work is with a big hammer and welder lol, as far as i know they will only fit in a suzuki frame that are originally oil cooled
            never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
            Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
            confused katana build

Comment

For the larger rim on the rear the swingarm can be modified to fit this.

For the 600 engine in the 250 frame... you would be better off just building a frame from scratch. The 250 ninja engine for example is only a a 2 cylinder engine vs the 600 bein a 4. The width of the engine on the 250 just barely fits the 250 in it, so going 2 cylinders wider... would be a huge varaince (engine stick way out on either side and the mounting points would acutally be outside the frame) so you would be looking at very serious frame mods of cutting the frame and redoing entire sections... at the least.

Honestly, I'm not sure the point in going that alrge of an engine in a 250 frame. What's the reasoning behind this? If you want a 600 to learn on, get an entire 600 bike.

The frame is only a minor difference in weight over all, and it would be significantly easier to modify a kat frame for less weight than it would be to put a 600 engine in a 250 frame.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Not to mention the frame strength....it's designed for 25 HP and low torque, not 80 HP and 40 ft lbs of torque....bad bad idea.

Comment

^+1

Comment

Working...
                  X