X

Un-Katchable build discussion thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chemomche View Post

I will say it again, i do not want to critiseze you or say something bed for you bike
    but i cannot understand why everybody does this stupid mod list with "aftermarket" or"custom"
    mods
    Not all mods are 'go fast' mods
    Anything that changes the look or performance of something is a modification, no matter how trivial it may seem to some.
    You can put a non OEM exhaust can on a post without swapping headers, will it make it go faster? No, will it change the look and sound? Yes, it's a mod.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      ...Okay, just read your post. It has a 2001 750 engine. So are you using pre 750 carbs or 98+ 750 carbs?...
      I'm not sure. Ill have to read through ctandc's build threads, or email him and ask. I would get a pic of them for your identification but I don't know if my wife could get good pics of them without removing the tank (which she cant do).

i may sound like a sh*ty jealous critic
      but

these are no real mods for me, i i cannot understand why people keep posting such things as something very important when they list them just to make the mod list longer
      - aftermarket mirrors - yep, they may be "aftermarket", but it is because the OEM are broken or more expensive than the aftm ones(oem are really ugly however)
      - "non stock" paint job - sounds really cool, isn`t it, but in other words you have re-painted you bike
      - custom white gauges - what makes them custom, why not just "white gauges"?
      - post controls- and what? this make it run faster or you can turn on the signals faster or easier? what was the purpose of this "mod"
      - afm turn signals - well done, it is really pretty to have them, isn`i it...
      - The mirrors were not replaced because the stock ones were broken. Don't assume something you know little about.
      - I didn't paint the bike, nor will it be the same color when I finish it. The bike has been painted, yes. Is it the stock color, no. Therefore its non stock.
      - These gauges ARE custom. They are white and each have the Katina symbol on them. These were part of a limited run that a bunch of people on here chipped in to buy. They are by no means stock and I challenge you to find the same ones online.
      - The post controls are much improved over the pre ones. True, they don't add performance. But they are esthetically better looking then the pre controls. In my opinion, they are an improvement.
      - When I say aftermarket signals, I'm talking about the R1 integrated tail light and slim led signals in the front. They are not made to be "pretty." The lights are brighter for increased visibility when turning or breaking. The led's lights differ from bulbs because they don't burn out and they also require much less energy to run decreasing load on the electrics. Thats a win win win in my book.

The led board in the tail light replaces external ones making the bike lighter, more aerodynamic (yes I know probably 0.009% more aerodynamic. But every little counts) and adds cool points .

I've only listed them as a reference to what I'm starting with. Most of these mods were done by the po. Some of them will stay, others will be completely changed.

...and as an advise - put you money in really important thing - brakes, tires, suspension....and driving skills
      My response to that is from an earlier post a day or so ago. Please see below

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
      ...Decided to have the suspension worked on. Going to talk to T-mod and put in an order for some USD forks, rear suspension and possibly a widened swinger...
      It is my plan to improve handling first, then work on the rest.
      Last edited by chrisgreer23; 02-06-2015, 11:04 PM.
      I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
      -Unholy m-
      Current project: Un-Katchable
      sigpic

Comment

Really digging the work, looks very clean. Are you keeping the stock set up for the gauge mounts and headlight the same, or are you doing a fighter type deal for that?
        If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
          I'm not sure. Ill have to read through ctandc's build threads, or email him and ask. I would get a pic of them for your identification but I don't know if my wife could get good pics of them without removing the tank (which she cant do).
          I can tell you right now, you want pre 98 750 carbs. I can tell from the photos you have posted of both sides with the fairings off, you have a 98+ set of carbs right now. With the 98+ handle bar controls, you can run a push/pull throttle cable, so that isn't an issue. If you're gonna use 98+ gauges, you need a 98+ wiring harness, so you won't have to leave the TPS unplugged. So it really depends what you want to do with the carbs. My opinion is that the pre 98 carbs are superior.
          Last edited by arsenic; 09-17-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ImABananna View Post
            Really digging the work, looks very clean. Are you keeping the stock set up for the gauge mounts and headlight the same, or are you doing a fighter type deal for that?
            The gauge mounts are part of the upper fairing stay I believe. I am replacing the headlight, fairing stay, headlight and upper fairing, so I'm going to have to figure something out for the gauges. I think I'm going to use post gauges if Crash still has his from his wrecked bike. I'll have to bug him for the wiring harness as well if his is ok.

As I do like the fighter look, I also like fared bikes. So the plan is to sure up the mechanicals and suspension. Once I get that the way I want it, I'll continue onto the fairings. I have 2 sets of fairings but I'm not partial to how they look stock. Along with the headlight area, I'll be tweaking to the way I want them. I think I'll do the headlight, change the tail and then the main fairings.

I wish I had a workshop to do this all in. Its sitting outside right now -_-

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            I can tell you right now, you want pre 98 750 carbs. I can tell from the photos you have posted of both sides with the fairings off, you have a 98+ set of carbs right now. With the 98+ handle bar controls, you can run a push/pull throttle cable, so that isn't an issue. If you're gonna use 98+ gauges, you need a 98+ wiring harness, so you won't have to leave the TPS unplugged. So it really depends what you want to do with the carbs. My opinion is that the pre 98 carbs are superior.
            I do have the post controls but I plan to change to the Busa forks/controls soon after I sort the carbs. Yes, I'm looking at post gauges/wiring harness. Are you saying the pre carbs are better cus of the power gains? or are they more reliable. I would like a setup that is comparable to fuel injection as far as reliability. I know that's not possible with carbs, but it gives you an idea of what I'm going for.
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            sigpic

Comment

The new tank I installed. Pretty much the last thing I did besides replacing the gas cap with alum one.

How it looks now:

Last edited by chrisgreer23; 09-18-2011, 09:22 AM.
              -Unholy m-
              sigpic

Comment

The, much improved, new front fairing:

-Unholy m-
                sigpic

Comment

Love it! Looks mean looking. Is that custom?
                  1996 Katana 750

Comment

Its from a 08+ ninja 250. I think it looks sort of like the post front end but better.
                    -Unholy m-
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm liking where the body work is going. Any more progress?

Comment

Originally posted by sporty_drew View Post
                        I'm liking where the body work is going. Any more progress?
                        Ask and ye shall receive:

2008 Ninja 250 headlight with upper fairing:

Used Ninja 636 master cylinder:

Un-Katchable with the headlight removed:

Don't worry, the bike hasn't gotten into an accident. I was working on removing the fairing stay to replace with the ninja 250 assembly. The 250 fairing stay I have is a little bent from a previous accident so I'll have to fix that before proceeding. I also have in my possession an R6 rear shock which I'll work on installing when I get some time. I'll most likely have that in place before I finish the front end. After the front end is together, I'll have have to figure some way of mounting the gauges.

Forgot to add that I received the R6 throttle tube the other day. I need to get some new break fluid before I install that though. When I take the throttle assembly appart to install the new throttle tube, I'll replace the MC. To do that I'll need to disconnect the break lines. When I do that, I might as well change the fluid as I know it's been at least 2 years since it has been replaced.
                        Last edited by chrisgreer23; 03-08-2012, 10:40 PM.
                        -Unholy m-
                        sigpic

Comment

Installed the R6 shock last night. Bike is much lower then before. Have to find the right hex driver so I can lower the front forks. Right now it looks like a cruiser lol. Will post pics soon.
                          -Unholy m-
                          sigpic

Comment

NOT A CRUISER!!! Fix that man!!! I'll send you the hex driver, hell, I'll BUY you the hex driver for God's sake!!!

Looking good bud!
                            sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                            2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                            2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

I'm tempted to ride it just to see how it feels. I'll definitely change it soon as I find the right tool. I may stop by the store and pick up another set. I dislike them all being loose like they are. Too easy to loose.
                              -Unholy m-
                              sigpic

Comment

I also managed to get the Virginia inspection sticker off of the right fork during my lunch break yesterday. Break fluid does wanders. I had to put the headlight back on because I'm not quite ready to put the new one on yet.

Last edited by chrisgreer23; 03-21-2012, 07:02 AM.
                                -Unholy m-
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X