X

China dirt bike street conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China dirt bike street conversion

Well as it says, Im in the process of converting my China made 200cc KTM knock off dirtbike to be street legal.
    Its really not that big of a deal unless you HATE wiring like I do. But lucky for me mine came with a Loncin engine and electric start.
    The big issue with this kind of bike is making it RELIABLE
    Because I built this bike basically from scratch the engine and chassis is pretty much bulletproof, ive run it for going on 3 years now offroad with no issues. To do this I replaced all the wheel bearings, swing arm bearings/bushings and most fasteners with quality units, added grease fittings as well as welded gussets to weak parts of the frame and sub frame.
    The weak link has always been the wiring and air filtration on most of these china bikes, well that and the fact they dont use any locktite...
    So to start this project I rebuilt 98% of the wiring harness using GM weather pack style automotive connectores and added wiring for the head light, tail/brake lights, signals and horn. Plus two additional ground wires, upgraded the starter wires to 8awg wires. I also went with a Yuasa battery and spade type fuses.
    For the air filter, I used the OE K&N style filter but wraped it with an oiled foam pre-filter, and re-adjusted the jetting. I also moved it back to a nice high and dry location away from water.

I had to fabricate mounts for the rear lights, and license plate, as well as control switch for the lights and starter switches and brake light switches on the controls

Before shots

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

I also fabbed up and added rear passenger foot pegs, just for my 7 yr old son who loves riding
    Today changed the plug wire and spark plug I went with an NGK race cable and iridium plug
    For the dual headlights I used a headlight Diode so I could use one light for low beam and both for hi.

All that is left is a rear brake light switch, a mirror and DOT tires, I doubt ill get the tires though.

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
      All that is left is a rear brake light switch............
      I don't even have one of them on my full-time streetbike!

It's looking good buddy. Will that thing go fast enough to see highway use, or is it strictly backroads and around-town stuff?
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

It will do about 95kph (Aprox 60mph) so GPS says. fine for most highways around here that have a 55mph or 80 kph limit

but it is has gobs of torque due to the small 16" rear wheel/tire compared to other bikes it size with a standard 18".
        I plan to gear it up a bit more, but finding a rear sprocket has been tricky. I can't go any larger then the16T I have on the front. And there is no more room out back for a larger rear wheel
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Try sending a PM to GSXFJim regarding the sprocket. He might be able to help you out.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Better change those tires, dirt bike tires are slick as ice on pavement.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

yeah I used to have an IT and XL...
              im comfortable with the knobbies on the street. the DOT dirt tires are not much better then these soft/Med terrain tires I have on there now
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

yeah I used to have an IT and XL...
                im comfortable with the knobbies on the street. the DOT dirt tires are not much better then these soft/Med terrain tires I have on there now
                I had an XL, it sucked with knobbies and DOT tires.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

It will do about 95kph (Aprox 60mph) so GPS says. fine for most highways around here that have a 55mph or 80 kph limit

but it is has gobs of torque due to the small 16" rear wheel/tire compared to other bikes it size with a standard 18".
                  I plan to gear it up a bit more, but finding a rear sprocket has been tricky. I can't go any larger then the16T I have on the front. And there is no more room out back for a larger rear wheel
                  I have a 48 tooth rear off my HSUN GY200 if you could use it.....not sure how many china bike parts are interchangable.... check this forum too www.chinariders.com ,back to the sprocket I bought a 45 tooth Martin sprocket and had to machine it to fit because the 48 was just a little to high for me. I can get pics if needed.
                  Romans 1:16
                  Romans 5:8
                  Psalms 109:8

Comment

Working...
                  X