No announcement yet.
X

Spyder's Katana Revamp

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

today i came the closest i ever have to selling the kat. I have been trying to get it started for a little under a month, i have slowly tried everything i could think of; checked/charged battery, checked/replaced NGK plugs, checked/cleaned carbs, starter clutch, starter relay, brand new starter motor itself... it refuses to fire and my time is running short on its space where it is stored. I need to get it at least running and move it. It has ridiculously low compression and wont fire even with a straight shot of starting fluid to the carbs at WOT. I decided to give up and kick myself in the a$$ for not getting rid of it sooner and go buy a new TL1000R i found on fleabay. I had the check written and was going to drive out to get the new bike and needed to move the Katana to the side of the shed to make room. Goddamn thing is: I cant abandon it!

i know what the problem is, i just have been pretending it wasnt so. It all adds up now, the issues at WOT on the highway with the power losses and surges, the blackened spark plugs, and now the sudden refusal for the engine to fire and the lack of compression: I ****ed up the valves.

My old '93 motor is still sitting in one piece in the corner, i was thinking of recycling the cams, cam chain and valves or better yet just swap the whole damn head off of that motor. But why go through all that trouble to have a worn head? I need to do a full head rebuild to fix this crap. I want to go with 750 cams and valves,springs,lifters,guides etc.

i will need some help before dishing out cash in the quadruple digits; what will fit in the K2 600cc head? can i use APE or WebCam racing springs and will they fit?

Update: found a used gsxr750 from an '87 on ebay that i am buying complete with old cams and valves and rockers. I am going to race ready this head with parts from APE and I am also searching for a good deal on a first gen 1100 block, piston set, rods, crank, etc that I could cram into my old 93 kat case. I know that the block would bolt on, but i dont know if the little 600 crank could handle the stress. I have to look into whether the 1100 crank will fit a kat case.

Anyway i decided that in the meantime I pulled the head off the old '93 motor that ran fine beside the transmission problem and i decided to clean it, up do some valve lapping and replace the seals and gaskets and throw it on the K2 block and see if the brat will start. I want to at least have a running bike to keep me motivated on the 1100/750/600 race motor build. I just have no friggen time anymore between school and work and family, maybe winter break will be a giant breakthrough or possibly could mean the end of the Honda Killer Project - catchy name right?

-UPdate: never ended up swapping the heads, and i realized that I dont need the bike running that bad. I would rather take my time and spend a season not riding rather than do it quick and sloppy and have to repair it again in a few months... video games keep me busy until i have all the parts to do the big project (i will outline this in the next post).
    Last edited by Spyderlord; 03-11-2011, 06:42 PM. Reason: hate to self-bump and make empty post counts
    Cover me, I'm Changing Lanes!

"Fear not death, for the sooner we die the longer we shall be immortal."

Comment

wow, its been awhile!

OK IM BACK!!! Turns out that if you build a shed and dont tell your landlord you have a possibility of getting evicted. Live and learn i guess, I LEARNED! Anyway I ran into some issues on where to keep the bike as my new apartment is in a complex and will not allow you to store any non-running, inspected and registered vehicle in the parking lot (and my superintendent is a d**k about it). So i finally found a quiet little storage spot for an awesome price and wedged the kat and the old yamaha in the 5x20 space. Then I had to decide whether to keep the bike(s) or sell/part them out. I decided to part the old FZ600 and use the profits to fund a COMPLETE REVAMPING of the katana. I thought I was doing a lot to it before with a pre to post motor swap of a K2-600 motor (now the timing chain has jumped a sprocket or something in there ).

My thinking: If I am going to have to either drop the motor again or take off the heads to fix this new problem with the k2 motor, I might as well take my time and use my old pre98-600 case and build a GSXR-1100 oil-cooled race motor off of it . And if I'm going to beef the motor up, I'm going to need some better rubber and springs, so what the hell? I'm gonna build a full pre2009 hayabusa suspension for it (i say pre09 cuz anything newer is still super pricey on the electronic bay). The kat has not been touched so far, I am just gathering all of the parts i will need, and getting ideas and info.

So far, i have bought a
      -1988 gsxr-1100 block for $60 (which i will either send off to APE to have them put SU3550 sleeves in to fit the 1316cc boring)
      -a 2004 hayabusa swingarm (not extended)
      -1986 GSXR-750 heads with valves (keeping the valves and getting APE springs and keepers)

those are the big purchases since last fall. my idea is to build the motor up to a 1316cc with a wiseco piston kit, carillo rods and an gsxr1100 lightened and balanced crank. Then a polished head with the beefed up springs and keepers, retainers and some WEB Cams billets. Top them off with some Mikuni flat slide RS38s or if i have enough cash leftover i might just splurge on the new Keihin CR sidedraft 40s.

APE provides a gearbox undercutting service that gives the teeth on the gear shafts a reversed tapered shape, ensuring that they will never slip. The cost for the Kat's tranny is around $350, but it is probably worth it. I might also see if my local machine shop could do it for me cheaper...

I'm also going to need to find a clutch for the Kat that could be tough enough to handle the new burst in power, I COULD REALLY USE SOME SUGGESTIONS HERE so please reply with some ideas.

Also, i have researched and found that the chain I put on and the busa are the same type and length, and also, my sprockets can swap over.

I have been wanting to hook up a full set of Dyna Ignition stuff for the longest time, and this would be the chance!

I'm still searching for the best deal on a set of haybusa wheels, and a front end as complete as possible but the USD forks only. There are a few that have the forks, the trees and the bearings included but they are priced higher than i would price my own mother... luv ya mom. eventually i will find something.

As far as the body goes, i saw somewhere on a streetfighter forum some guy had bodo'ed an RF600/900 front upper fairing to his stock pre-600 side fairings. It actually looked fairly good and gave the kat a modern, aerodynamic looking pointy nose. I have found a fiberglass version on airtech without any headlight holes. THIS IS AWESOME! so now i can drill my own headlight holes and pop in a pair of HIDs i found on ebay. They will be vertically stacked, so it will look something like this http://www.gsxr.es/wp-content/upload...a_GSXR_011.jpg only with another light directly above first. I will wire it up so that one on will be driving light, and high beam will be both bulbs on.

I have also found a guy that swears he could weld up some tabs to mount up a k1 or k2 gsxr1000 tail if i just chop off the old steel tube kat subframe. I dont know if im going to do this, the only reason i really would is if i was going to try to fabricate an undertail exhaust system which i am still not decided on.

Paint: undecided. I am flipping between a cherry red/pearl white scheme, or a polished aluminum/Gun Metal Grey/Fluorescent Orange scheme... I like the look of the Gun Metal, but I have serious doubts about its visibility at night (If I build this bike to the specifications of my dreams and it somehow gets wrecked, I will instantly recluse myself into a fantasy world within my own mind and just give up on life. Seriously.)

So; wish me luck and please dont hesitate to post up some more ideas and critiques. honestly i would rather someone call me an idiot and explain how something will not work instead of me finding out the hard way when i get to it.
      Last edited by Spyderlord; 03-14-2011, 02:10 AM.
      Cover me, I'm Changing Lanes!

"Fear not death, for the sooner we die the longer we shall be immortal."

Comment

And?.........And?..........."Need Input".......??...."Please Respond".....??...
        I'm outa here

Comment

Anything new? Really interested to see how it turned out

Comment

wow
            If I aint riding my kat im pulling magic trix out of my hat!
            «on the soccer field of course»

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderlord View Post
              I didn't work on the bike anymore today because it is freezing, i am tired of getting dirty, and the remnants of my last paycheck are pretty scarce. However i do have a funny story to tell! No one seems to read this thread so i don't care how wierd this comes out...

I took a little "un-authorized" break and went into the bathroom to get away from the monochromatic swarms of hasidic jews that influx sullivan county this time of year (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough_Park,_Brooklyn for more information). I have no problem with their religion, but they tend to just want me to follow them around the store and just do all of their damn shopping for them! Anyway, i retreat to the bathroom only to find that all of the urinals are occupied, even the children's one that is like a foot off the floor... so i stumble into one of the smelly stalls and begin to do my business, as i do i kind of look around and some writing catches my eye. Scribbled in Sharpie next to the paper roll is "Sitting here so broken hearted, came to sh!t and only farted!". I started to quietly chuckle to myself until as i went to flush with my foot, i noticed more writing above the tank on directly under that box of little paper sheets you take to put down on the seat; "As Always, Out of A$$ Gaskets Again!!!" i looked and sure enough the box was empty. I couldn't help it, i started uncontrollably laughing my a$$ off as i came out of the stall, i even started tearing up! Then i realized how f*ckin insane i must have seemed to everyone else in the crowded bathroom, laughing to myself hestarically in a toilet stall, as an employee no less... This one jewish guy started rushing his little son to hurry up and get out of there, which made me laugh harder.

the message is: Everyone who scribbles random $hit on bathroom walls, keep up the good work because you made a really bad day into something strangely enjoyable!

I just cryed lmfao!
              1996 Katana 750

Comment

why were you looking at a tl1000r motor? can you really fit a tl1000r motor in old kat? i just turned one down cuz i didnt think it would fit.
                Tyberious Rasputen Von-rotten Shagnasty
                True story

Comment

great read so far!

I really like watching the progression of outlook over the years, it's one for one with my decade-long big-block el camino saga. 2 engine swaps and a dead el camino to show for it

I have 3 bikes and my 96 kat is the cheapest and most fun to ride of them all (ninja 250, 2002 vfr800a, and kat 600). the $1500 kat was a solution to upgrade past the 27 horse ninja anemic performance.

the vfr was a bargain and flawless in every way faster/safer/newer/injected with ABS, but it turns out the carbeurated and noisy piss and vinegar kat character brings me back everyday when i have to choose between them.

best of luck!

Comment

Spyderlord, what did you decide on doing to the Kat? It's been almost 2 years since your last post. I hate it when people leave something hanging.

Comment

This is ridiculous! Lol. He got lost.

Comment

It's a shame cuz my work is only about 20 mins away from him, id love to see this build! Not to mention ride with another kat
                        94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                        X