X

My long term project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My long term project

I've just got another bike, and wanted to do something nice with my Kat1100, and I want some input from from you guys, as you are more experienced in rebuild projects.

Some questions, how do I prevent the trail dimension doing the bike undrivable - shuld I make a modified rake?

I want to mount highway steps and "forward controllers", but I want to keep the fairing with.

• Do I go for a saddle with sissybar?
    • Should I mount a custom handlebar?
    • Should I go for a 250 or a 230 rear wheel?
    • Rims with classic or solid chrome spokes?
    • Cobra pipes?
    • What paint? Gold? Maroon?

This is my Shopzuki Longsword:

270 rear wheel always.

Comment

Pipes will most likely have to be custom. I doubt you could order anything short of a V&H sidewinder kit.

Forks will have to be different. When you rake a bike, it effectively lengthens the distance from the steering head to where your trail measurement starts. The original forks will be too short for that much rake.

Too litte trail:
      With negative or too little trail the bike will handle well at low speeds but will easily develop a dangerous wobble at high speed.

Too much Trail:
      You will have trouble balancing the bike at low speeds and it will handle sluggishly at high speeds.

Trail should be somewhere around 4 - 6.5 inches. This can be fine tuned by raising or lowering the rear and moving the forks "up" or "down" in your triple tree clamps. Your initial rake must be close to right in order to tune out the negative effects of increasing rake.

Although this project wouldn't be something I would do, its cool to see someone do it, hopefully the execution of the project will be nice. Best of luck!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by katanawarrior; 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM.
      Currently Riding:
      1995 Katana 600
      V&H Exhaust
      Jet Kit

SOLD
      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
      1987 XV700 Bobber
      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

270 rear

Comment

hmm...good luck!
          sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
          k9 GSX-R 600
          GO VOLS!

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't do it myself, but it's your ride...really, good luck man, I hope you pull it off
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I'll need it, hmmm anyone checked the date? (I'm astonished how polite/helpful the members of katriders.com is )

Comment

check this out
                Only for Kats made PRIOR to 1988. Pics, Sightings, General Information, Questions;
                if it has to do with vintage katana's you'll find it here.
                Live to ride,
                Ride KATANA!

Comment

Lmao :d
                  2002 GSXF 750

Comment

There is no fairing - and katana frame, and it's a "short" fork - but incredible done...

Comment

would be pretty cool to see

Comment

Working...
                      X