X

Garrick's Build thread!!!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garrick's Build thread!!!!!!!!

okay i've always wanted one of these, dont ask...
    anyways as most of u know i dumped the bike a few days ago, as of right now i just got the old engine out (2nd gear was bad) i picked up the engine and a couple rusty tanks for 200!!!, these new parts i need are on the way...
    -tail light
    -left handle bar
    -05-08 gsxr cf mirrors with integrated signals
    -flush mount rear signals
    -high wattage headlight bulb
    -foot pegs
    -radio w/speakers
    - 4-1 exhaust system

okay maybe i didn't need all of those...

also i will be repainting the rims, the seat, and the whole bike. I was thinking of painting the whole bike candy apple redish, or blue. when i go to look at the colors i'll get a little more specific.

I am treating the rusty tank with electrolysis!!!!! The pictures are of the setup, the clean electrode (coat hanger) and the electrode after 8 hrs. then instead of cleaning it off i just made a new one and i'll keep doing it till it comes out clean.
    btw i mixed the water with 1/2 cup of soda ash (same as washing soda, both are a sodium carbonate)

and this is the bike right now, i lifted her up onto a table, then took off all the bolts holding the engine onto the frame, then i lifted up the bike and rolled the engine away.

Nice
    lifting the bike to get the engine out... that's a new one
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

ya i dont have jack right now, or help so it was the only way i could do it, and just found out the engine i bought has a hole in it!!!! bringing it back tomorrow morning, back to looking for an engine...
      Last edited by garrick; 03-19-2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Wow! Sorry to hear about the engine. Good luck on the build.

Comment

how the hell does an engine have a hole in it? You mean like it threw a rod or something? Engines don't get random holes in them, that's not a common problem.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            Nice
            lifting the bike to get the engine out... that's a new one
            Really ? I've done that a FEW times But usually I lift the FRONT . Helps to have friends & ratchet straps .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Perhaps we should start a seperate thread on this instead of continuing to jack Garrick's thread?
              Very good idea. I'm going to add it to the How-to section.
              This process can be used on any rusty steel, so the same set up in a fish tank etc...
              I'll move the posts then add the link back here..

Comment

Okay! today i finally got a new engine, well actually I got half a bike that had front end damage. I belive it is a 2002. A few questions...

1. I know your suppose to use the airbox out of the 02, it didn't come with one is there a way to make mine off the 91 work?

2. my 91 swing arm is a little discolored, the sprocket is all worn, the pads are gone and the break disc is worn pretty bad. Can I just swap everything from the 02? along with the rear break caliper?

3. I know both would work, but opinions on whether to use the carbs off my 91 or the ones off the 02 and just not plug in the tps?

4. Will my oil cooler off the 91 work just fine? the newer kat didn't come with one.

Comment

1: Dunno , but I THOUGHT the carbs were the same size , so I'd expect the boots on the box to be as well . Minor issue though , I'm sure it won't be too hard to figger out ...
                  2on't see why not . But the lengths may be different . The rear brake line COULD be an issue , though .....
                  3:Whatever . I'd think it'd be easiest/best to use the carbs that go with the engine , but I'm sure it'll be fine either way ...
                  4:Most likely . Only question I'd have would be the banjo bolt dimensions and the holes on the post pan . But again , I have a hard time believing it WOULDN'T work . I must be feeling optimistic tonight for some reason .... Either that , or this "project" is gonna be WAY more simple than you're making it sound .

Comment

Sorry md86, no dis to u, but does anybody else want to answer these questions?!

Comment

wow what a job. looks like it comming along well

Comment

Originally posted by garrick View Post
                        Sorry md86, no dis to u, but does anybody else want to answer these questions?!
                        I thought I did ok .

Comment

In bold lettering is the answers you want!

Originally posted by garrick View Post
                          Okay! today i finally got a new engine, well actually I got half a bike that had front end damage. I belive it is a 2002. A few questions...

1. I know your suppose to use the airbox out of the 02, it didn't come with one is there a way to make mine off the 91 work? YES

2. my 91 swing arm is a little discolored, the sprocket is all worn, the pads are gone and the break disc is worn pretty bad. Can I just swap everything from the 02? along with the rear break caliper? You will have to change out the whole system. Brakes, swingarm etc etc. You can use your pre wheel but it isn't as wide as the post.

3. I know both would work, but opinions on whether to use the carbs off my 91 or the ones off the 02 and just not plug in the tps? Yes, you can by pass the TPS

4. Will my oil cooler off the 91 work just fine? Yes! the newer kat didn't come with one.
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

2. my 91 swing arm is a little discolored, the sprocket is all worn, the pads are gone and the break disc is worn pretty bad. Can I just swap everything from the 02? along with the rear break caliper? You will have to change out the whole system. Brakes, swingarm etc etc. You can use your pre wheel but it isn't as wide as the post.
                            Thom, you might want to add that when using a post swinger on a pre you have to cut down the pivot section on the post swinger.
                            When using the post swinger on the pre frame you HAVE to remove a total of 3/16's of an inch from the pivot section. You remove this from both sides equally.(TOTAL of 3/16)
                            Also, when using a post swinger and a pre rim you have to swap the spacer on the hub (sprocket side).

And lastly,when did the posts stop using an oil cooler? What year?
                            Last edited by Breeze; 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Thanx Breeze, you are right forgot about that
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                              X