Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Chrome Project Revisted (Not 56K Friendly)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mreedohio
    started a topic Chrome Project Revisted (Not 56K Friendly)

Chrome Project Revisted (Not 56K Friendly)

Well it's that time of year again. I started in on another major project on that kat. As some of you remember last years project. Seen here http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77779 and here http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86841 .
    Last we left off here is how she stood.

Last Dyno Video was 75.16hp @ 11,500rpm
    [ame="http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa45/mreedohio/?action=view&current=dyno003-1.flv"]dyno003-1.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting[/ame]

Ok now for this years project. During the Chrome Project we found out my frame bent so I found a 1993 frame and swingarm locally.

I decided to do suspension this time around along with some tasteful mods . I got a set of 2000 Hayabusa forks off ebay,front wheel and rotors off ebay as well. I'm going to do Black Chrome fork tubes and black chrome powdercoated caliper mounts and front wheel.

I'm going to use Black Hayabusa brake calipers to go with the black chrome front end scheme. I also have to run a different front master cylinder so I found a Hayabusa one on ebay. I also found a GSXF front master cap in Germany and had it shipped here.

Since I'll be using a Hayabusa front end, I'll have to use a Hayabusa front fender. I hate the look of the stock busa fender so I found this aftermarket one on ebay.

I found a brand new Chrome upper tripple tree on ebay for cheap.

I also decided to get rid of the spike bar ends so I got a set of chrome weighted bar ends from JDA Custom.

I really like the look of a dual headlight on pre98 kat.(not my bike in this pic) so I plan on doing something similar to what this guy did http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/14247763

so I found some 88 GSXR400 headlights in the UK on ebay.

To make the dual headlights look flush I needed a headlight cover made for the katana so I ordered a number plate from Air Tech in CA.

The jag mirror I have look ugly so I got a set of Hayabusa racing mirrors off ebay.

Since I am using the Hayabusa front end, I can not use the Pre98 speedometer so I have to switch to the Post98 Gauges. I found a set with the digital clock along with the inner trim piece so the gauges would look flush inside the fairing. I also bought the reverse glow gauge covers as well.

Thats basically all the front end stuff being done, now moving along.
    Since I have to have Post98 gauges and I have run a post98 sprocket cover to run the speedo off of. Found a good condition one on ebay.

The lowering links I had installed sat the bike way too low for 2up riding so I found a Hayabusa shock to raise the tail up.

I decided to change up rear a little bit. I found a New Bandit 600 Rear Hugger on ebay. I bought a chrome brake torque arm and chrome caliper mount from Jax. Since I have to use a Hayabusa front wheel with straight spokes I have to switch to a Post98 rear wheel. I'm powdercoating that Balck chrome. I am also powdercoating the swingarm that color.

Now for the seat, I will have 2 sets. One set for 2up riding will be this custom covered seat with twice as much foam.

I will also have a stock front seat with a OEM solo seat cowl for obvisiously solo riding.

I will also be redoing the decals differently. Chrome "S" on the tank and Chrome GSXF on both main fairings. New tires. I'm sure I'm missing lots of odds and ends, I will leave that open to Thazkat(Thom) to post detailed build results since he will be doing the build in his garage this winter. All comments and questions to Thazkat and I are appreciated.
    One pic to end on.

Last edited by mreedohio; 10-28-2009, 09:49 PM.

• gradylewis
    replied
    Well thought out!

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    Originally posted by Iscreampaintjob2006 View Post
    how did you get your gauges blue. I saw that you bought reverse glow gauge covers but they don't appear to be on in the picture where your gauges are blue
    That was to display the shift indicator that Astro4x4 did! That is not the gauge lights on Mreed's bike.

Leave a comment:

• Iscreampaintjob2006
    replied
    how did you get your gauges blue. I saw that you bought reverse glow gauge covers but they don't appear to be on in the picture where your gauges are blue

Leave a comment:

• Salz07
    replied
    Cool. Have you seen the videof the pickup driver and motorcycle from down yet. The LEOs have been out lately.

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    Originally posted by mreedohio View Post
    yeah i plan on it, you know i got to make at least one ride with you Cincy/NKY guys so i can remember how slow i am

only had the bike out a handful of times this year so far. the carbs might need a cleaning, been running rough below 3.5k rpm
    if you are riding it right, you shouldn't be below 3,500 rpm

Leave a comment:

• mreedohio
    replied
    Originally posted by Salz07 View Post
    Good to hear Thazkat.
    Mike are you making a trip down this year ?
    yeah i plan on it, you know i got to make at least one ride with you Cincy/NKY guys so i can remember how slow i am

only had the bike out a handful of times this year so far. the carbs might need a cleaning, been running rough below 3.5k rpm

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    Originally posted by Salz07 View Post
    Good to hear Thazkat.
    Salz, if the timing is right, I will be in tow LOL

Leave a comment:

• Salz07
    replied
    Good to hear Thazkat.

Leave a comment:

• cintidude04
    replied
    Glad to hear your doing better Thazkat

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    Sounds like a great plan for me LMAO
    I am busting my Butt in physical therapy and walking on my own in the pool! I tried walking with a cane at therapy, what a learning.
    You make the list Mreed and I will be more than happy to follow the list to the T!

Leave a comment:

• cintidude04
    replied
    Sounds like a plan Mike.

Leave a comment:

• sporty_drew
    replied
    Sounds like some good plans

Leave a comment:

• mreedohio
    replied
    well its been a little more then a year since finishing. no mods this pass winter but im starting to build my list of small projects to do when thazkat is healed and able.

1. buy good condition used mains fairings or fix current mains and get them sprayed to match the other pieces he did last year.T Mccall did all my plastics and windscreen except front fender, and main fairings for around $500 so 2 mains shouldn't be too bad to have done. either way oil door will be needed as mine flew off

2. finish up the new red tail light lens to get it mounted more flush and finish lens design.

3. recover seat since adhesive has worked off and remaining adhesive wont hold cover to seat pan

4. new white led license plate-bolt lights since i had a white one go out then was using one white and one yellow decided to disconnected them since they mismatched.

5. kreys swinger mod with a 190 tire(sucks had these componenets over the years and had to sell them with times got tough)

6. fix melted belly pans

7. Chinese pazzo knock offs in chrome with black adjusters, prolly both shorty style

8. switch to same design of mirrors i have now but to ones with built in led turns signals

9. LED gauge lighting with digital gear indicator built in like Astro4x4's

10. 12v socket to support gps and mp3 player and or phone.

11. maintenance and part detailing/cleaning

considering shaving my windscreen down a little and adding another blue led kit from joeflorida but who knows

maybe trade off on some things on that list to get a running 2up bike at tax time

Leave a comment:

• filhouse06
    replied
    ahh ok man that looks sick i might do the same i fell in love ha

Leave a comment:

Working...
X