Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

The Ratana, A low dollar track day build.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ratana, A low dollar track day build.

Since starting to ride on the street 10 years ago track days have been a bucket list item for me. One of my main obstacles has always been not wanting to "wad up" my only bike. Now that I have a small Katana collection it seems like a good time to try and scratch that itch. I realize a Katana is not the ideal go to tack day ride, but its what I have. In my mind that makes it perfect.

This will be a (hopefully) low dollar build combining parts I already have with as many used and as few new parts as possible. While this is going to be a track day ride, I'd also like it to be street legal so I can ride it more often. Bonus points for being old enough to register as an antique. Oh and I hope to have it built by spring...

Since Fairings get in the way of maintenance, break easily and are expensive to replace I'm going to Re-purpose some old broken ones I have laying around for this build.

I had a little time, so I did a rough concept sketch and started a little body work. (modeled by my wife Jessica's project bike)

Then it was time for some real work. If its a frame up build, might as well start with the frame. I finished stripping Mary Jane's ( my 750 project ) original frame which gave me a 750 swing arm (the 600 arm is shorter) as well as a decent set of 750 forks. Then I grabbed the 600 frame that I have paper work for and gave all the parts a good cleaning. I want it to look nice, but as its will mostly be track day bike I'm trying to use common paints ( easy to repair/refinish ) and I'm not going for show quality. A good old 20' "Nice Bike" will do just fine. The frame is painted with a Rust-Oleum Metallic Aluminum , triple trees with gloss black ( lower is 750 and upper is 600 ) and the body/forks with Rust-Oleum flat electric purple. Everything will the be shot with gloss clear. Anything seeing a lot of wear or possible fuel/oil will be covered with Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat. I have $250 in the build on day one. That includes a complete GSX600F parts bike with no title, 1993 GSX600F frame with a salvage cert. and paint.

Last edited by Ratana93; 10-02-2019, 06:23 AM.

Love a project

They get around alright to have some fun on just a little down on power so if ya don't mind getting blasted down the straights (from time to time), they keep up pretty well in the tighter stuff.
    I put about 6mm of washers on top of the fork spring to beef up the preload and ran 10w oil and the front end seemed pretty good with that as a cheaper alternative to flash springs and things.

Last edited by Lachie; 10-03-2019, 01:03 AM.
    “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
    Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
    ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks for the front end tip! I'm a big guy (250lbs) so I know I need to beef up the suspension. I've got no track experience, so I know that for a while at least I will be holding the bike back, not the other way around.

Comment

This is great! I cant wait to see what will happen next

Comment

I have not had a lot of time to work on bikes of late, but I got some time the other day. For the first time ever, its on its own suspension. Still so much to do.

Comment

Working...
          X