No announcement yet.
X

Katana 750 + GS550E

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to Krey for the imgur suggestion.
    I'm also getting with a buddy this week to extend the heim joint rod for the shifter. That way, I can use the GS550 shifter on the Kat engine. It won't be long until it's time to lay out the wiring harness and start figuring out all that stuff.

If I'm getting rid of the TPS, is there a cleaner sprocket cover that fits?

Comment

Originally posted by scott s View Post
      Thanks to Krey for the imgur suggestion.
      I'm also getting with a buddy this week to extend the heim joint rod for the shifter. That way, I can use the GS550 shifter on the Kat engine. It won't be long until it's time to lay out the wiring harness and start figuring out all that stuff.

If I'm getting rid of the TPS, is there a cleaner sprocket cover that fits?
      TPS? You asking about the speed sensor? TPS is ussually referring to the Throttle Position Sensor on 98+ carbs.

Anyways, 88-97 sprocket covers would bolt right on, do not use an electronic speed sensor.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yes, at least I think I'm calling it the correct thing.
        Since I'm using the '96 carbs on a '00 engine, I'd like to get rid of the sensor on the sprocket cover.

Comment

Lord.... just looked up sprocket covers. Why in the world are they so expensive? Looks like I'll be modifying mine.

Comment

Originally posted by scott s View Post
            Yes, at least I think I'm calling it the correct thing.
            Since I'm using the '96 carbs on a '00 engine, I'd like to get rid of the sensor on the sprocket cover.
            Okay, so that's confusing for me...

The 98+ carbs use a TPS. This sensor is located on the side of the carbs. TPS = Throttle Position Sensor.

The 98+ bikes use an electronic speedometer pickup. A sensor on the side of the sprocket cover uses a magnetic signal to generate a digital output to the electronic dash for the speed reading.

These two systems are not linked in any way. What I mean by that, is that input or output from one, has no effect on input/output on the other.

That said... if your not going to use the electronic speedo sensor on the side of the cover, just remove the sensor by taking the scews out, and replace with pretty screws and a simple aluminum plate. You could easily source that materials for much cheaper than replacing the cover, and you obviously have the skills to make it look good.

Krey

93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

OK.....so I was confused too! For some odd reason, I thought that sensor on the side cover had something to do with the TPS. My bad.

Has anyone ever used that sensor on some type of aftermarket speedo? Just curious. I'm still gonna try to make the Bandit 400 dash work.

Comment

Got a roller. It's about time to start working on the wiring harness and electrics.

Last edited by scott s; 08-25-2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Not sure if anyone really cares or not, but I finally found some gumption to work on this thing again. Got the turn signals wired up today and ordered a battery. I have to find a frame ground for the GSX750F wiring harness. I think I can use the lower, front battery box bolt.

I got the Bandit 400 control wiring all figured out (I think) and I should be able to pop the battery in and see if any smoke gets out soon.

If it doesn't burst into flames, it won't be long until I add some gas and see if it starts!

Comment

Woo Hoo! Put a battery in it today and it turns over with the starter! The oil light went out after a few revolutions. I have tail light, brake light (both front and rear switches), horn and a hi beam indicator.

Most importantly, I have spark from both coils!

I *don't * have headlight or turn signals, so I'll have to trace that out. I don't think I have backlights on the Bandit 400 gauges, but I do see the tach needle "twitch" when I power it up.

I'll sort out those things and then add gas and see if she'll run!

Comment

Just checked and I DO have tach and speedo back lights. Just gotta figure out the headlight and turn signal situation.

Comment

Looks good. Keep up the hard work!!

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Today was fire up day!

At first, #1 was silly hot and #4 was cold-ish; and it was hard to get a nice idle. Some investigation found a diaphragm that wasn't seated properly on #4 and the intake manifold was crazy loose on #1. I guess I just forgot to tighten it up when I put it together. We fought it for a while, then just pulled the carbs and oil lines and tighten all of the manifolds while we were at it.

Seems to run pretty damn good now!

As a reminder: 2000 GSX750F engine, Yoshimura slip -on, BST-36 carbs with DynoJet kit, RamAir filters and a slotted timing advancer (stock, for now. I plan on going to a dyno soon).

Comment

Working...
                                X