No announcement yet.
X

Katana 750 + GS550E

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some pics, then took it apart again. I pulled the tach signal wire loose installing the tank, so that had to come off. Then I noticed some gas weeping around the petcock screws. I need to see if they use fiber washers. I also need some rubber grommets for the side covers. The clutch could use some adjusting and I want some pin stripes on the tail cowl.
    But, overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Comment

Still have this one, still not on the road.

I definitely have some carb tuning/fuel delivery work ahead of me.
      When riding at normal speeds, part throttle, I could feel a sort of surging. I figured the pilot jets and/or mixture screws needed tuning. It pulls like a banshee up top, but will sometimes stall after a WOT run. Running out of gas, maybe?

I was starting it weekly until I could get to the dyno, and now it won't start. I have spark, so I suspect the vacuum petcock may have failed. There is no PRIME position on this one. I know how to check it....just need to do it. I got really burned out.

I used a DynoJet Stage III kit and went with their 140 main jets (which they measure differently that Mikuni does), their needles and set the mixture screws to 2.5 turns out. I DID NOT drill and tap the slides for the plugs they use. I'm told that's only to slow down the rate of the slides raising.
      Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with an assortment of Mikuni jets or the Factory Pro kit.

Plus, the choke cable came loose from the carbs. I need to have one made that is about 2-3" longer. Who does that? Motion Pro?

Any suggestions for a low profile, non vacuum petcock?

Comment

Here we are, nearly a year later, and I'm finally getting this thing on the dyno for some tuning. It's just been sitting ever since my last post. I really hope it won't take much to dial it in.

Any guesses on the numbers she puts down?

2000 GSX-750F

BST 36 carbs, DynoJet stage 3, RamAir filters

Stock header with a Yoshimura exhaust

Timing advancer slotted (currently stock US timing, will experiment with + 3-5 degrees)

Comment

I think you're going to be in for a difficult tune. You really need to punt that stock header. You opened things up by not having an air box but then you retained the stock header which hurts your airflow. I think you may be better off starting with stage 1. I'm guessing around low 80's for HP. What size gas lines are you running to the carbs? How's the inside of your tank? Are you running a quality set of fuel filters? Pingel makes great aftermarket petcocks and fuel filters. You have an interesting build!

Comment

This looks sweet! Good job!
            I'm not sure if you could do this in Canada. The insurance companies are very strict, so I'm not sure you could insure it. Insurance companies seem to look for reasons to not insure bikes here.
            It's been a couple years since your post. Do you still have this bike? How does she look and run now?

Comment

Working...
            X