Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How do you properly break in new (read: slippery) tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used sand paper to scuff the tire. Hey a little work never liked anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
      Something about this topic that I found interesting.

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17932

Very, very interesting. Must be a recent (last 5 years?) development... or Metzeler is doing something different (and, er... Pirelli doesn't make Metzeler's tires -- other way around; the imprint on the Stradas show Metzeler's factory DOT codes).

Dunlop were the ones who originally told me about the silicone issue.

Now I really wonder how they keep the rubber from wanting to stick to the tire molds? Hmmmm... Time for more research.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Take it easy for the first couple of miles. Nothing more, nothing less.
        Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

Oh, and practical test:

I have a Z6 front sitting about that I picked up recently off ebay at a great price, so I decided to check it -- indeed, there is no silicone that I can detect with my fingers on it.

[Noises of gears spinning, clunking in CP's head]

Maybe they use some sort of forced water pressure through the exterior of the molding machines to force them out. I can see with Germany's environmental laws in effect since about the millenium change that silicone would be a big no-no... Hmmm...

I've got a request in to their factory to see if I can get an answer on how they get them out.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
            Besides, like Matt said, it is common to do burnouts to break in a tire....but most of that common method does nothing for the outer edges of your tire....and just adds wear to the center.

The other stuff I was talking about was sort of off topic cuz someone asked how to do a burnout. That was more playing around and had nothing to with really breaking in a tire.
            Thats a good point to remember too.. when you're out taking your leisure sunday ride through your favorite roads..remember too that while you're doing the right thing by scuffing in the tires, remember the edges need to scuffed in too..so if you just ride for awhile and dont take many turns or twisties, the edges won't get scuffed and could still be alittle slippery even though the rest of the tire looks good by then. So do a nice mix of flat roads and some twisties and gradually work your way into leaning more and more so the whole tire is scuffed in right.

Comment

Working...
            X