X

Newb here!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb here!

Hello everyone, I'm new to the bike scene and thinking of getting one. My first choice was Suzuki GSX 600 Katana as my first bike. This is one of t he bikes that I can afford right now and the one that is not a rocket but does have some pep to get me around. The only thing that is not what I was looking for is the fact that it is air cooled. I live in Chicago and the traffic would be a problem for air cooled engine. So my question would be is the air cooling enough for this engine? Would the constant over heating damage the engine? (revs behaving eradically, engine shut off etc.) Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. if I were to save up a bit more and get the GSX-R 600 with the liquid cooling would it still be a good starter bike? What is the difference between the two? (GSX 600 & GSX-R 600)

Welcome, both to the boards and to motorcycling. Is a Kat a good starter? Sure if you're respectful of it. I taught my wife on my kat 600. Just keep in mind that b/c it's a sport tourer, it'll be heavier than other popular starter bikes. But that weight = stability at higher speeds. It's pretty forgiving on the throttle too, which is an added bonus.

I would steer clear of a GSXR 600 as a first bike (especially if you haven't ridden before. Lots more power and much lighter which means it's less forgiving if you're sloppy on the throttle, and can quickly get out of control in the hands of a newbie. Kat is a much better option.

You shouldn't have any problems with the Kat overheating in the hot weather. Even those who reside in my home state of Florida don't seem to report over-heating problems while out and about. Don't rule out other starter bikes either (such as the Suzuki GS 500F and the Kawasaki 500), they're light and have enough power to keep you entertained for a while.

If you end up looking in the direction of a katana, I'm trying to sell my 2003 (check out the bikes for sale) and am only about 2 hours from you (Madison, WI). Shoot me a PM if you want, about the bike or with questions in general. Welcome again!

Comment

Cool, thanks for the great info! I will certainly look into the other bikes but the main reason I picked Katana as my primary candidate is b/c I have heard and read many reviews that it is the most comfortable bike there is (out of the started bikes at least) + it looks awesome. The price will also play a role but other factors will not be left out.

Now that I know the diff b/w GSX and GSX-R and what else to consider I can start picking out. If anyone has anymore helpful advise, feel free to add. Thanks again.

Comment

Hey seruy, here`s hoping you pick a Kat as your first bike, it was/is my first bike and I absolutely enjoy it. Welcome to the board

www.3dflag.com

Comment

Many argue the Katana is too big for a first bike, which is true in some cases. However, I found the bike forgiving and worthy of serviceable use for many years. I learned to rider on a Katana and I've been very happy with it. As for supersport bikes like the GSX-R, they're too much bike for a true beginner.

The air/oil cooling for the Katana is good enough that you'll not have to worry about overheating. Even in hot weather when you been riding a lot, as long as you are going 10mph or more your bike will be sufficiently cooled. Just make sure you are using a good motorcycle oil with a high flash point.
          "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Down here it's hot as hell in the summer and I've never had a problem with overheating, not even in traffic. I keep the bike well maintained and I find it to be very reliable. Personally, I don't think I would have liked this bike as a starter due to the weight, but all my previous bikes were lighter so the weight may have been more of an issue for me than it would be for a new rider since I was used to something lighter...

Many moons ago I started out with a used Ninja 250. It was dirt cheap, had low miles and rode like a sportbike. I got a lot of good practice and didn't care when I dropped the bike. You might add that to your list of possible starters too. More likely than not that you'll drop your first bike at some point so don't get anything that will break your heart if you scratch it up

Good luck!
            ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

you might look at the kawasaki ninja 250.that is what i learned on many many moons ago.and it only cost 2999.99 brand new.that said the kat is a bad a$$ bike and also good to learn on.you might also check out suzuki sv 650.they have less plastic covering the engine(less of a chance to overheat)and they are a great bike too!

Comment

As a general rule, buying a used bike for a season or so is always a better investment.
                When comparing costs, take into consideration the price of insurance, gear, etc.
                Take the MSF course. No exceptions.
                Definitly stay away from any "R" bike.
                I think the Kat can make an excellent starter bike. Its on the higher end of the scale, but easily doable. I also agree with every other comment that's been made.

Good luck.

Comment

I started out on my Katana 750, and I've absolutely loved it. The power was a bit intimidating at first, and it has a -1 front sprocket which made it even more so, but I got used to it quickly and am now as comfortable as can be on the bike. I'm by no means saying that the 750 is the way to go for a starter bike, a 600 would probably be better, but I got a good deal on my 750 and I knew that I would probably be 2 up riding eventually(which I've started doing) so the 750 is better for me. I'm also a bigger guy so I need the extra power to haul my fat butt around, haha.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I have thought about the Ninja 250 as well but I was told that it is VERY weak for it's 250cc engine. And it being light and all is a very good thing but in order to have some go from it I would need to rev it up a lot more than say Katana 600. It was cheap too, found it on craigslist. About the insurance thing - for some reason the Kat 600 was $40 cheaper than Ninja 250! I'm not looking to buy an expensive bike, of course, but something that I can play with at least for an upcoming summer. I'm looking 4 grand max here, and I want to have at least a grand or so for the gearing and any other emergencies that might come up. I have spoken to a guy from WI and he has a nice bike that I'm going to consider after I get my license. Any one that lives not far from Chicago and has a great bike - pm and I will take into consideration your bike as my first one!

Comment

The EX250 is designed to rev higher then a katana- I think redline is like 15k. That doesn't mean the engine is weak. I'd say the EX250 is among the most capable in terms of speed and reliability of the 250cc class bikes.
                      That being said, "weak" is a relative term, but the bike will easily do 100mph. If that's weak to you, then consider something else.

Comment

IMHO, the Ninja 250 is not a weak bike unless you're pretty big. I'm 5'11" and about 190 lbs. now. When I owned the Ninja 250 I was probably around 182 lbs. - same height, though It was plenty powerful for me to get around and learn the ropes. If you don't have your license yet I assume you don't have a lot of riding experience. Take the MSF course and you can get a feel for the 250s they provide. These bikes are dogs because they've been ridden, dropped - generally abused, but you'll probably find they have some good power, although you really can't open 'em up in the beginner class.

Down here there are always a ton of Ninja 250s for sale dirt cheap from private owners on www.cycletrader.com Buy a cheap bike first - you most probably will drop it. You should be able to get the EX250 for well under $2K used. Ride it, play with it, get used to the road and try to find a group to ride with. They may let you take their bikes for short rides and you'll be able to decide what you wanna move up to.

I went from a Ninja 250 to a Ninja 1100R that I loved and ran like a champ for 6 years. Then I got a '98 Gixxer 750 that I still miss, but the wife wanted me to sell when she was pregnant. She was scared of me riding and getting hurt. After my son was born she knew that I really missed having a bike and got me an R1 for Father's Day - which I promptly returned to the dealer because new bikes are way overpriced and she paid through the nose. After much soul searching, I decided on the Kat 600 because it's more of a Sport Tourer. Makes the wife happy 'cause it's not a jet and makes me happy because it's a bike! Now I'm looking at the '06 Gixxer 750 because it is sweeeeeet. My buddy just got one and I am so jealous after riding it - totally different feel that I forgot I loved so much.

Anyway, why the long story? You're gonna wind up going through many bikes through the years if you decide to stick with it. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $2K on a starter bike no matter what you choose. That way if you drop it, who cares? If you crack a fairing, who cares? If you learn a lot - that's awesome! Forget aftermarket parts on a starter bike - you won't get your $$$ back when you sell it or trade it in.

Gear is going to be more expensive than you think also. A good helmet will probably run you ~$300. A good jacket will run you about the same - maybe more. Good gloves will run you ~$100. I've also been looking at boots lately and it looks like I'm gonna have to shell out $250 for the ones I want. Your $1K reserve is now gone...

Buy the cheap bike. Try to put $2500 in a short term CD to save for your next bike (check www.bankrate.com for the highest yields on short term CDs w/$2,500 min. deposit). You'll be glad you did. If you max out on your $4K bike budget now and you drop it or slide it you're gonna be pissed. Spend more when you know more about riding. You'll always keep your second bike much longer than your first in my experience.

Then again, you can ignore all of this and do whatever the hell you want It's your choice, your $$$ - just sharing my feelings on the topic.

Good luck and make sure to show us pics of your new ride no matter what you choose. I'll be dying to know what you go with.

Best of luck to you!
                        ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Welcome to KR seruy! where in chicago? i'm in niles, so if you need help checking a bike, i'll be happy to help you out! just PM me.

BTW, overheating Katana in chicago is a joke (trust me on this) i'd be more worried with the gixxer overheating! just my $.02
                          PAUL
                          93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Yellow2002Kat, thanks for sharing with your personal experience. I will reconsider the Ninja then! I did like it at first, it not being a very fast one and pretty light but got misinformed that it was not worth it. Although, I did see one from 1999 and it had 6200 mi on it. Asking price was $2100 but the ad is gone now Anyway, it's a bit early to be jumping on every bike I can find, since I haven't gotten a license yet. Thanks again for all the replies!

P.S. is anyone in the range of 18-20 years old that lives in a city? I'd like to know which insurance company you're using? Being 19 myself I know that it will be high but I got a quote from Progressive and Kat 600 and Ninja 250 were $570 a year for me. Anyone can share which one will save me the most money? I know that being in a city also gets the rates up, so anyone that is similar age as me and who lives in city please let me know what you're paying and which company are you using? Thanks.

Comment

and the 2fidy ninja is water cooled.and get the black because it is the faster color.lol here is the linkhttp://www.kawasaki.com/product_detail.asp?product=145&category=2&tag=moto rcycle

Comment

Working...
                              X