No announcement yet.
X

Is my Kat dead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITS ALIVE, milestone reached today, carbs, airbox back on, ran it for 15-20 mins and the smoke cleared hurrah, now all i have to do is, a quick oil/filter change, bleed brakes, replace rear shock and fix my indicator circuit then off for an MOT and then blast round the country happy days, thanks for all your help

Comment

Another question guys, its stalling as soon as i put the bike in gear, apart from the sidestand switch, do you guys have any ideas?

Comment

I'd start with a clutch adjustment
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Side stand switch....... Or side stand loose from wear.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

ok, so the original reason was the sidestand switch (replaced the connectors in the loom) however now the bike wont idle in gear even with the clutch held all the way in, so im assuming its a clutch issue, does anyone know if the clutch from a bike my age (1989) is dry or wet, as i made the mistake of doing a filter and oil change, and want to know if i wasted my money

Comment

also are there any tricks to un seizing friction plates?

Comment

My clutch was sticking after a few months of not riding it. Its getting better after a few rides now. The clutch just seems to just need some use.
                1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

problem is, with the clutch fully held in, wheel still turns, and im worried about doing a wheely through my garden fence if i try to ride it anywhere lol

Comment

Originally posted by Danhutch View Post
                    also are there any tricks to un seizing friction plates?
                    I'd take them out, clean the plates only with brake cleaner. Rag wipe the fibers and soak them in clean MC oil. Keep them in order of removal.
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-25-2017, 10:24 AM.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

to save on my oil, you reckon it would be best to lie the bike on its side?

Comment

Never.....you could reuse the oil you remove if it's clean.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Danhutch View Post
                          problem is, with the clutch fully held in, wheel still turns, and im worried about doing a wheely through my garden fence if i try to ride it anywhere lol
                          The wheel still turns? Is that with it on the centerstand, if so that is normal. After a while of sitting, the clutch plates stick to each other. Start the bike, hold on the front brakes, pull the clutch in and drop it in gear, if it stalls, give it a bit more rpm, they should break loose.
                          1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

ok, rode the bike around today, clutch seems to have fixed itself for now, still got extremely spongy brakes after bleeding them several times, im guessing its a master cylinder problem? reckon its worth rebuilding the master cylinder?

Comment

Did you let the master cylinder run dry when bleeding them? If so then you need to bleed the master.
                              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

good news guys, its alive running and on the road (legally) heres some pics for you

http://imgur.com/sT06NSK

http://imgur.com/a21JO20

http://imgur.com/XDG9jI0

http://imgur.com/r8h9k4i
                                Last edited by Danhutch; 04-02-2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X