X

Is my Kat dead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Kat dead?

Hey there riders, just got off the phone with my local motorcycle garage, only to be informed that they think my motor is 'shagged' apparently once they had it started it began to billow smoke in their workshop.

Now, im not ready to give up just yet, the bike has sat for nearly 2 years and was seized when i began work on it. could it still simply be burning oil and whatnot from my attempts to unseize it.

If anyone has had similar smoking problems from their kats i would love to hear from you as im not willing to drop mine in the trash just yet.

Plus be a multiple of thing that would cause that smoke, rings, head gasket, valve guides or more major issue like cracked head. Either way it can be fixed. The easiest way to fix it would be to swap in a good used engine.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

ive been looking, engines near me seem to be a bit scarce, however, would a slight oil leak from the engine lean towards a gasket or crack?

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Plus be a multiple of thing that would cause that smoke, rings, head gasket, valve guides or more major issue like cracked head. Either way it can be fixed. The easiest way to fix it would be to swap in a good used engine.
      would the only way to narrow this down be to take the head off?
      Last edited by Danhutch; 03-18-2017, 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes and yes
        Compression test would also be needed.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

i assume a compression test would narrow it down too right, would it be better to do this before taking the head off?

Comment

Ok so, compression tester ordered from ebay, time to do some research on leak down testing too, not letting this kat die im assuming from the 10.7:1 compression ratio my ball park psi is 155-165, could someone confirm for me please?

Comment

Grab the manual from here. You'll need more specs. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138096 I'd guess that the rings are stuck and/or the cylinder walls are scored from the rust inside. Been there. New rings and cylinder fixed that. Not to bad in price either. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134329
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Common... but minor issues... that would cause the bike to smoke.

fuel in the oil
                oil in the exhaust
                excessive oil in the airbox

With the exception of changing the oil if it's contaminated, most of those are just... clean and run it till the smoke stops.

Compression test needs over 90, but with in 20% of each other. So 4 90s is fine. 3 145s and 1 90.... not so much.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

just for my own info would this engine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-1999-...0AAOSwXYtYvIny

be a straight swap as far as the engine mounts go?

Comment

No, that is water cooled. To get that in would require major work.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

anyone know of a place that i can find piston rings to fit my bike? ive been looking all over the place and struggling to find anything, would piston rings from a different model fit my bike? (1989 gsx750f)

my manual tells me i have a 73mm bore
                      Last edited by Danhutch; 03-19-2017, 12:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Lots of good answers here. I have seen stuck rings clear up on their own, over a few hours use. And someone mentioned "oil in the exhaust" that two might clear itself after a while.
                        2006 750

Comment

Bikebandit and ronayers should have rings
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

HOLY *!#Ž£ i didnt realise piston rings were so expensive, any ideas for something i could pour down the cylinder to attempt to free up the rings before i spend almost 150 pounds on 4 sets of rings?

Also i live in the UK so ideally id like to find some from over here to avoid silly shipping costs

plus there is 100% oil in my exhaust, is the only way to remove this to run the bike?
                            Last edited by Danhutch; 03-19-2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              fuel in the oil
                              oil in the exhaust
                              excessive oil in the airbox

With the exception of changing the oil if it's contaminated, most of those are just... clean and run it till the smoke stops.
                              Krey
                              Krey listed everything to do
                              My 1990 GSX 600 Street fighter Build

Comment

Working...
                              X