X

Possible Seized Engine Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Seized Engine Help!

Ive finally got round to getting my 89 kat ready for summer, however it seems engine is seized, relay clicks when the ignition button is pressed, but motor does not turn over.

Could this be a starter issue, any hints/tips on identifying the problem and repairing?

Also, ive removed the spark plugs and tried to turn over on the ignition, fuel tank is off, im just trying to get the motor turning over.

Have you tried rolling it over by hand? I'd spray a bunch of pb blaster down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a while before you try though, that way you are less likely to break a ring.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Remove the pulse generator cover and rotate the engine CW by hand with a ratchet. 19mm socket, if I remember right.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok, so if it is seized, is it just a case of filling it with wd-40 or something?

Also, since im probably going to be taking the engine out/apart, is it worth replacing any parts while im in there, bike has covered around 50k in its lifetime since 89" and im not sure if anything in there has ever been replaced.
        Last edited by Danhutch; 03-02-2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

If it wasnt seized before, and it is now, its likely that the piston rings are stuck to the cylinder walls from rust, or possible at least. The PB Blaster is better at attacking rust than WD40, put that in there to break up the rust a little bit, and also lubricate the rings as they move up and down the cylinder walls for the first time.
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Or he has a dirty carb, allowing a cylinder to fill with fuel....hydrolock. Pull the plugs and try turning it over by hand, if it turns then see if any fuel comes out the plug holes.

Comment

Im not sure that PB Blaster is available in the UK? or am i wrong? i cant see it anywhere.

Comment

That's a good question. Maybe it's not. I suppose you would use whatever you can to substitute. Wd40 will be better than nothing.
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Another problem ive noticed is an oil leak from the sump plug, could this be a crossthread? reckon its possible to repair the thread if this is the case? i bought a new plug but doesnt seem to have rectified the problem

Comment

My experience...

It's super rare that these engines end up locked or damaged.

IF the engine is really locked, it's toast and a replacement engine is going to be the easiest route not only in time, but $.

Most times it's something else. For example if the starter gear or alternator get loose, they can bind up and "lock" the engine from moving. I'd check those are okay and not the issue before deciding it's the engine. If nothing else, it's just a couple mins to remove them entirely to eliminate those as possible issues.

As mentioned, start with removing the cover and use a wrench to turn the motor if you can.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, engine free after a bunch of wd-40 and some rocking in 5th gear, fitted a new starter relay and the starter motor burst into life, so a good day all round, one day closer to having my Kat out of my living room and on the road

Comment

Living room??!!!!
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yes, my living room, first logical place since i dont have a garage lol

Comment

got it running today, smoked like a banshee and wouldnt drop below 5k revs. and then stopped starting alltogether, chucked the battery back on charge, will have another crack at it tomorrow.

Comment

Been there brother, have a 1127 engine in my living room waiting for a valve adjustment before dropping it in my 600. Had a ninja 250 in my bedroom at my old apartment while I swapped motors (original engine grenaded). Had the 1127 carbs all over the kitchen table for about a week rebuilding them on my 1100. Going to have the carbs for the 1127 donor engine (for the 600) all over the kitchen table hopefully sometime in the next couple months.
                              Make do with what ya got
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                              X