No announcement yet.
X

Working on wifes 1990 GSX600F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are crush washers. Oil, brake lines or cylinder head.... my guess cylinder head. Under every stud nut is a crush washer.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

You know where my rectifier is on my 99?

Comment

In the alternator.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

My engine is like a kinder surprise.
          This fell out when I opened starter clutch cover. As you can probably guess, I will now ask can anyone identify this piece? I estimate that it is part of something that is about 7 cm in diameter.

Comment

If I am right its a bottom of the cylinder sleeve.

Comment

I don't think so. That would be in the oil pan. There is only three part in the starter area. Starter, intermediate gear and the starter clutch/gear. I'd pull the clutch gear and inspect it. Backfire or any reason the engine would be forced backward could break that clutch, although that's what it's there to prevent.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

I honestly hope you are right. After looking at some pictures of cylinders, I am 90% sure its piece of cylinder but I will listen to your advice and check that clutch first.

Comment

Broken cylinder. Already taken care of.

I have another problem...
                  when I was putting back engine sprocket I removed rear wheel so I could put a chain arround engine shaft. When I mounted rear wheel back I set up chain slack but I have noticed that slack is changing as I am spinning wheel. The wheel itself is spinning like it should half of revolution and other half is spinning significatly harder. When I measured position of rear sprocket compared to rear fork, it really is moving 3 milimeters forward and backward.

I am sure I have returned everything like it was and I did everything by the book... Supported wheel and all that. Also I tightened it to 80Nm because when i tried 100 like it is stated in manual, wheel was barely spinning.

Any ideas?

Comment

Ok, I solved problem refering to hard spinning. Wheel was overtightened. I torqued it to 60Nm and it is alright now.

the problem with sprocket moving forward/backward still remains. I will measure it because I think its manufactured like that. I cant think of anything else.

Comment

That would be a bearing or spacer issue. You need to figure that out or risk alignment and chain issues that won't be pretty.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

And finally, last problem has appeared. I cant start the bike. 😊

Fuel valve is ok
                        Carburatores should be fine (cleaned 3 months ago)
                        Spark plugs get wet from fuel
                        Spark plugs throw sparks
                        Compression is ok
                        Engine timing is correct

Last time when tried to start the bike i reved it (with a starter motor) for like 20 seconds and it produced a loud bang from exhaust. Really loud. Ocasionally it starts for a second but that is rare, and one time it even reved to 3000 rpm and just died.

Is it possible that sparks get thrown at wrong time. I had almost identical symptoms on M5 few years ago and it was malfunctioned cam position sensor. I dont know is something similar possible on Katana.
                        Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 04-19-2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Backfire or afterfire.....if the coil input power were on the wrong coil it could backfire ( threw the carbs). Plug wire location could also cause it. After fire would be a lean carb issue, loading the exhaust with fuel vapor then igniting.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

I am quite sure that coils are connected like they should be. I didnt remove them from harness and left coil goes on first and fourth cylinder and right coil powers second and third cylinder.

I am not 100% sure but I think it was afterfire on the exhaust.

I can clean carbs again but if that dont help I am completely out of ideas.

Comment

Are you getting 11v to the coils when the starter is turning over? Cause less can give a spark, but not strong enough to turn the engine/ignite.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Is it normal for spark plug cables to have arround 5 kiloohm resistance?
                                That is actually resistance of spark plug connector itself. Anyway, is that normal resistance?

I am also measuring over 20 megaohm (probably infinite) resistance on one of the ignition coils (spark plug side). Is it even possible to throw a spark with such a resistance (because I have spark)?

The primary side of both ignitio coils is 2.8 ohms and signal generator is 165 ohms so that should be ok.
                                Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 04-20-2017, 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X