X

Engine serial number question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine serial number question

It's time for me to start asking some questions.

My wifes Katana is 1990 GSX600F. I have done a lot of work on the bike already and my conclusion is that I am working on something that you like to call a frankenbike. Well, at least a bit.

I have managed to match my carburetors on GS650G or GS850 so, naturally, I wanted to Know what engine I have in a frame. It looks like Katana 600 but who knows. I looked for engine serial number, found it, write it down and tried to decode it. After two days I have reached to the conclusion that I need some help with decoding it. The problem is that, apparently, I am the only person in the world that is missing first mark on engine serial number... The letter that marks a displacement range of the engine. It is not there and it was never there. My serial starts with 706 which is, if I understood everything right, 4 stroke, 6th generation engine. So after two days of research I still dont know what engine that is. The exact serial number stamped on engine is 706-100687 and I would really appreciate it if someone could somehow tell me what engine I have.
    Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 02-20-2017, 11:22 PM.

good luck. will stay tuned, myself
    1988 GSX1100FJ
    sigpic
    Instagram @derdmn
    1976 Dodge Aspen 225 slant six
    2013 Chevy Equinox 2.3 EcoTec (plans for turbo system)

Comment

The cc is stamped on the lower cylinder. The serial number for a 600 would start with N705-xxxxxx. 750 would start with R712. 1100 would start with V706 (you would know if you had this engine installed as it would require some modification to fit), model year 1990. Look at this link http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/su...-nos/page6.gif
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks for a quick answer.

I already have that list. My problem is that i cant find where the usable serial number is stamped on engine. The number i have posted in previous post is stamped above/next to the oil cap and there is no letter in front. Maybe I am looking on a wrong place and since english is not my native language, can you please explain a bit more precise what location you have in mind when you say lower cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel Dark View Post
          Thanks for a quick answer.

I already have that list. My problem is that i cant find where the usable serial number is stamped on engine. The number i have posted in previous post is stamped above/next to the oil cap and there is no letter in front. Maybe I am looking on a wrong place and since english is not my native language, can you please explain a bit more precise what location you have in mind when you say lower cylinder?
          As sitting on the bike, left side.

At the bottom of the cooling fins on the left side is the CC stamp.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks everyone. It's 600ccm.

No wonder I could not find it... It was covered with some sealant. Whoever before me worked on this bike did a terrible job. For example, carbs were so out of balance that I thought my balancer was malfunctioned.

Next step for me is to rewire everthing with new wires because this has so much tape and wires are so old that it looks horrible. Besides that, when I turn my lights on, idle RPM's drop from 1400 to 1000 so easiest thing to do is to simply rewire everything and check all electrical components in the process.
            Last edited by Gabriel Dark; 02-21-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Anyone know a good source to decode the frame VIN to a model number? I just insured my '95 kat750 with rider Insurance and by the VIN, they see it as a sport bike (no different than a GSXR). I'd like to call it a touring bike.

found this site but seems the VDS just says it is a multiple cyclinder sport street bike.
              Last edited by GaryS-NJ; 04-03-2017, 12:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
              '83 xj550 maxim
              '84 xvz1200
              '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
              '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

Comment

That's a crap shoot....some call it a sport bike. Suzuki sold it as a sport touring bike. You need to ask the insurance co. How they class it.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                X