X

Trouble shifting into neutral

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble shifting into neutral

Please help! My Kat is a 98 and its for a lack of better words "sometimey" when it comes to shifting into neutral. It shifts into all other gears fine, but when I try to get it into neutral (like at a red light), it just goes into second. Other times, it shifts into neutral fine. Today for example, I rode around for a bit and went to visit my wife at work. Got to her job, shifted into neutral and backed into spot just fine. Went to my next spot and spent almost 3 mins trying to get it into neutral. Finally I gave up and just left it in first and killed the engine. Ride home, shifted into neutral at 2 lights fine. Got home and spent 2 mins trying to get it into neutral and finally after going back and fourth from 1st to second, I got that sweet spot in the middle and she went into neutral so I could roll her in the garage. Anybody else have this issue or any insight on how to fix this?

Kinda iffy but, shift fork wearing would be my guess. What oil are you using? They do sell shift kits to improve shifting.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I just got the bike a week ago so idk what oil has been used. The guy said he recently did a oil change, but I was going to do my own anyway. What's a good oil brand for the Kat? I'm a newbie to motorcycles so sorry in advance if my questions seem dumb. Just trying to get informed. I'll look into a new shift kit. Hope its not too pricey. Thanks for the response

Comment

It's been a while since I had a Kat, But IIRC sometime rolling the bike forward a bit would allow me to shift into neutral when mine was acting up. As for Oil I was running rotella most of the time I had my kat.

BTW your not parking the bike and leaving it in neutral are you?
        Kyle

Comment

I was, but I was recently informed today by my buddy to park it in gear so thats what im doing now.

Comment

Rotella is a good choice. I run Lucas M/C oil.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

how old is your clutch??? i was driving a big harley into the shop after hours today and at choke idle, the clutch was having NOTHING to do with going from 0->1

make sure clutch adjust is accurate, make sure oil is clean, make sure clutch assby is not wornout.

@junker is correct: SHIFT FORK WEAR could be a culprit. but check my easy shizzz before you buy new shift forks, or open the trans.

good luck, keep us updated.

Dennis
              1988 GSX1100FJ
              sigpic
              Instagram @derdmn
              1976 Dodge Aspen 225 slant six
              2013 Chevy Equinox 2.3 EcoTec (plans for turbo system)

Comment

I started her up this morning and put her in first, then tried to go into neutral. No luck so I rolled her forward a little and BAM, she went into neutral no problem. I guess it was like Woobie said. My instructor at school I'm my motorcycle service program said to do the same thing. I'm bringing her into school this week to do a tclock and I'll give her a good once over and check the forks as well as an oil change. Thanks guys for all the input. Glad I joined up here!

Comment

i upgraded my clutch springs, helped me alot in finding neutral

Comment

Working...
                  X