X

'90 Katana 600 Valve Stem colors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90 Katana 600 Valve Stem colors

I noticed the valve stems looking into the cylinder with the carbs removed, the center two heads valve stems looked more varnished than the outside two heads. Is this typical? Heat Related? Curious...

Bike has about 17K miles.
    2004 KTM 525 EXC
    2004 KTM 200 EXC
    1990 Suzuki GSX600F
    1978-1/2 AMF/H-D Low Rider 1200

I wouldn't read too much into it. Could be heat related, could have some leaky valve seals. If it runs good and doesn't blow smoke I'd just assume it was fine.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

The center jetting is different than the outer...I agree with the above.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        The center jetting is different than the outer...I agree with the above.
        Actually, the main jets and pilot jets were all identical. I was worried about mixing them up before I read what they each were.

It was more of a theoretical question.....

At the surface, my first thought was that it must be heat related. The outside are likely cooler than the inside cylinders/heads. I suppose it could be valve seal leakage, but why not the outside two then....because they're cooler??

I figured I'd ask and see if someone else has seen this on their Katana's.

My new choke cable came today. I'll install it, the carbs, air box, charge battery and try and fire her up. Thanks!
        2004 KTM 525 EXC
        2004 KTM 200 EXC
        1990 Suzuki GSX600F
        1978-1/2 AMF/H-D Low Rider 1200

Comment

Not necessarily because they are cooler. The valve seals in the middle just could have worn out. I had a pre Kat 750 motor come thru my garage that had some bad valve seals. No rhyme, reason, or pattern, but those valves were definitely darker than the rest of them. And man were they a bitch to clean!
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
          X