Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

So...I just bought a 1990 GSXR 1100 for a donor bike. What parts can I use?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...I just bought a 1990 GSXR 1100 for a donor bike. What parts can I use?

So I have been on the lookout for an 1127 motor. I was going to wait until the first of the year and then this came across my lap.

A 1990 GSXR 1100 for $700. I had to travel about 8 hours round trip to get it, but I drive a truck for a living so that's easy.

The story is it's supposed to be a 1218cc motor. It was built using a Bandit block and then everything else off the 1127 motor with better cams and larger bore. Also supposed to have a lockup clutch. Back during the summer when he was racing it, it supposedly ran 6.0s in the 1/8. When dyno'd it made around 195 HP. He blew a head gasket and parked it ever since.

So after not being able to get it fixed, he is now hard up for money. Put it up for sale on facebook and I snatched it up. Although not running and could potentially need a complete rebuild on the engine, I feel I made out well on the deal.

Bike has a title, so that's a bonus in my book.
    My questions are...

-What all parts can I move from this bike to my 05 KAT?
    Modifying things to make them work is fine. I just prefer the better parts if possible.

Complete front end from handlebars down to tires?

Rear Swing Arm? Prefer stronger arm if the motor makes the power he said it does. If not, it'll make it later because I won't leave well enough alone. Not sure what the Kat swinger will hold to, but I don't want to find out.

-If the block had been swapped to a bandit block, I'm assuming it'd be everything below the head. Or are there 3 sections to a motorcycle engine? I'm knowledgeable on cars, not bikes. The reason I ask, is because it says 1127 on the side of the motor.

-can anyone else add any other pertinent info to the subject?
    I'm kind of above my head in this motorcycle stuff right now. I'd like to learn more, but the info isn't as easy to come by as race car info. The places there is info, the members have faded away to Facebook. Problem is there, there are hundreds of the same group that spreads people so thinly that you get info all over the place instead of in one location like a forum.

Before it had engine problems.

Thanks for any help. I tried putting this in the tech section, but I'm not allowed to post there.

You can swap the entire front end with some work.
    Swing arm is a ton of work to swap, you'll be better off bracing the existing swinger.
    Bandit "block" bandits were 1157cc. If you mean cylinder block when you say block it shouldn't matter. Either one was bored out to 1218 if it really is that. 1218 engines (bandit based) with a lot of work that I've seen make 160 HP. (Check out the Dale walked project bike at holeshot for reference. bored out to 1218, high comp pistons gsxr cams, ported head etc) So I call bs on 195. I could be wrong but that's a very big difference.

For the base of the engine you can get the serial number and look it up - it'll tell you if it's a gsxr or bandit. Did the guy have receipts for work done/parts ourchased? Dyno runs? Pics of in progress work? It's easy to claim things over the internet. Entirely possible you've got what you think you bought but it will likely take a bit of digging to find out.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Of course not. I just assumed it was bone stock, and that if it was what he claimed I was just lucky. Seing it was as cheap as it was, I figured it was worth the gamble to find out.

I'll definitely look into that Holeshot bike. It'll give me an idea as to what potential I have.

Comment

So I did find this. This is where he bought the bike from. So maybe, it's a legit 1216 (not 1218 as I mistakingly thought).

Comment

Aaaa, 1216 sounds better. Coffee hadn't hit yet. Flat side carbs - if you're not familiar with them, they offer more power, but they are really only appropriate for track use. They need to be tuned before every ride as they are super sensative to atmospheric conditions.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I don't see the front end swap getting you anything. The springs MIGHT be stiffer, but those forks are basically the same thing as far as I know. You're better off putting some racetech springs and cartridge emulators in the forks you have now. Also, swapping the entire front end will require special neck bearings. I don't see much of an advantage. You don't want an extended swing arm on your Kat, it will make it real hard to turn, and anybody that knows shit about sportbikes is likely to ridicule you and call you a poser for stretching out a heavy, underpowered Katana. If you know how to turn a wrench, I'd say $1500 and some man hours and you should be able to have that thing singing again. You would definitely want to scratch the flatslides if you wouldn't intend on racing it. You can perform what's called a leak down test and get a better idea of your compression loss ratio on each cylinder. There's a good chance she's clapped out, so new piston rings and a good ream may not be a bad idea while you have the head off.

It might not be too far off to part out the bike, use the money to rebuild the engine and drop that bitch in your Katana. Learn to launch it, and start making money at your local drag strip
            Last edited by maniac1886; 12-14-2016, 03:44 PM.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

If it was me... I'd restore the GSXR and have something that's going to grow in value... A LOT. You would be loosing $ swapping to the kat.

Keep both bikes... use the GSXR when you want a more oomph ride.

That said... nothing gained at all with the front end swap, you already have a 3.5" wheel on your kat.

The rear swinger isn't really stronger, it's just different material. A lot of work that would again not gain you much. It would be simpler to mod the swingarm on your kat to widen it fitting the 5.5" wheel and brace it. Cheaper too.

The engine and exhaust would swap over.

Not much else really worth swapping.

But having both as working running bikes.... hrm... jus sayn.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Maniac - gsxr forks are going to be cartridge forks and not damper rods. They will be an upgrade over stock kats. But they should be revalved and resprung. It would require different neck bearings.

Krey, would the bike be gaining value as a collector type thing? Didn't know that would be a collector item...wouldn't have passed up a '91 a while back if I'd been aware. Oh well.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  If it was me... I'd restore the GSXR and have something that's going to grow in value... A LOT. You would be loosing $ swapping to the kat.

Keep both bikes... use the GSXR when you want a more oomph ride.

That said... nothing gained at all with the front end swap, you already have a 3.5" wheel on your kat.

The rear swinger isn't really stronger, it's just different material. A lot of work that would again not gain you much. It would be simpler to mod the swingarm on your kat to widen it fitting the 5.5" wheel and brace it. Cheaper too.

The engine and exhaust would swap over.

Not much else really worth swapping.

But having both as working running bikes.... hrm... jus sayn.

Krey
                  I agree resto the GIXXER......
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I am just a fan of the Kat. I enjoy it more than any other bike I've sat on.
                    But it is a slug. That's the reason for the engine swap.

As far as the front goes, I'll just rebuild the forks. I do want the wheels to match though, and I like the GSXR wheels.

The swinger needs to be about 4" longer to keep the front end down. I doubt I'll ever road course race it, but I know I'll drag race it. I'm surrounded by drag strips in every direction.

As far as the carbs, I'm not concerned with ridability. I'm concerned with horse power.

Comment

Originally posted by WRIGHTRACING View Post

As far as the carbs, I'm not concerned with ridability. I'm concerned with horse power.
                      If you're going to basically use it as a track bike, I'd definitely recommend just rehabbing the gsxr and not swapping the engine etc over. Way more work and $ for...the same basic results.

Which ever you do, please post pics along the way
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                        If you're going to basically use it as a track bike, I'd definitely recommend just rehabbing the gsxr and not swapping the engine etc over. Way more work and $ for...the same basic results.

Which ever you do, please post pics along the way
                        I'll post photos. I'm not a simple person. I like sleepers that are sneaky fast. I like my Kat and think it looks better than the GSXR.

I used to have an S10 Blazer with a SBC. Same concept. It looked like a stock Blazer, but it was fast.

I had intentions to class race it but the organization died off and the classes got way out of hand.

Comment

Another vote from me to restore the GSXR
                          I've searched several websites while trying to restore my Katana 1100 with GSXR parts. Yes, it appears the re-sell value has gone up do to the lack of replacement parts / collectors market or what not ...cha-ching $$$
                          If you do restore it, treat it as such...keep it under cover and locked ! That bike will attract thieves !
                          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                            Another vote from me to restore the GSXR
                            I've searched several websites while trying to restore my Katana 1100 with GSXR parts. Yes, it appears the re-sell value has gone up do to the lack of replacement parts / collectors market or what not ...cha-ching $$$
                            If you do restore it, treat it as such...keep it under cover and locked ! That bike will attract thieves !
                            I guess I'm the only one on here voting for fast Katana? LOL

I can always find another GSXR. I just ain't big fans of them myself. I love my Kat and just want to make it run. Sure I could just buy a faster bike, but I like the style and comfort. I can fix the slow problem. I can't make a GSXR 1000 comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by WRIGHTRACING View Post
                              I guess I'm the only one on here voting for fast Katana? LOL

I can always find another GSXR. I just ain't big fans of them myself. I love my Kat and just want to make it run. Sure I could just buy a faster bike, but I like the style and comfort. I can fix the slow problem. I can't make a GSXR 1000 comfortable.

I think the reasoning behind most of the "restore the gsxr" is that it's a complete bike and that removes a lot of the con on the pro/con list the average person would make for the options.

I understand your original intent. Get a motor, bump up the Kat. I'm still all for that. It's just your motor search has dropped this near complete bike in you lap at an amazing price, and it truely could be something amazing restored OEM. I love the kats too. I promise you there are probably very few who could say they are as devoted to kats and mods on them as I am. That said, I'd still go for the resto option on that GSXR.

So I'll touch on some specifics again for your mod considerations.

Wheels...

Option 1... expensive and time intensive. I'm gonna cover all aspects of doing it well. You could cut corners to reduce time and $, but... anyway.

GSXR will have 3.5" front and 5.5" rear with curved spoke design. If you want to keep the wheels matching you will need to swap both. To swap both wheels your looking at also modding swingarm/swapping them and the front end as well. The GSXR wheel won't work with the Kat front end. Spacing, axle size, so on... all major issues that is much easier to resolve by swapping the front end.

Swap the entire front end. The forks are different, but visually the same effect. GSXR forks would need to be rebuilt for the application. Re-valved, re-sprung, new oil. You can order individual bearings to match the size of the Kat neck OD and the GSXR stem ID which should make that aspect a simple swap over. I'd suggest you swap the brake lines to stainless braided, and do a full disassemble inspection and cleaning on the brake calipers. Put in rebuild kits if you find issues. I don't know off hand how much this is going to affect the controls. Your probably looking at different location for where the bars sit, may have some clearance aspects to address with the bars/body/guages. These are things you will need to look at, but I'm not off hand as familiar with. If the bars are lower that is also going to affect how the comfort and seating position of the bike works out.

Swingarm is extended and already wide for the 5.5" wheel. Your looking at multiple issues to resolve with the swingarm swap. Your going to need spacer sleaves made for the different pivot bolt sizes as the kat has a smaller bolt than the gsxr. I believe the kat is narrower at the pivot, so spacers to make up the difference is needed. Then the shock/suspension linkage needs to be resolved. The GSXR has different mounting location for the links to the swingarm. They are going to use different size bolts as well. The other end is going attach to a differently shaped cushion and also will probably have different size bolts. Matching those 2 means most likely custom links to be made at least. Shock rebuild would be a really good idea at this point. Not sure off hand what size CC your kat is, but the 750 post shock can be rebuilt and is a good option to swap in. The longer swingarm makes a HUGE difference, and the OEM shocks all need resprung anyways.

Option 2.

Keep the Kat front end - rebuild the forks with emulators and springs.

Acquire a 93-97?ish... GSXR 600 rear wheel. Also bandit 1200 rear wheel is an option. Those wheels match your kat front wheel, are 5.5", use 20mm axle, and are simple to acquire and find parts for the rest of this mod.

Modify the kat swingarm. This is actually easier to do than mess with the linkage of modding a different arm onto the kat. Now, you already stated you want the extension, so the mod just got really simple. The extensions means you won't need to "widen" the swingarm with the cut/weld process. Moving the wheel back will naturally give that clearance for you. Put steel extensions on your Kat swingarm, and run bracing on the bottom. This is a simple cut/weld job any shop could do easily. If you know how, or know someone who can weld, you can do this super easy. 2mm thick sheet steel can be bent into squared tubing and weld the seam = making the matching size tubing for the swinger. You can sleave the welds easily enough. 1/2" or 3/4" steel square would be more than enough for the bracing and easily worked. Reslot the axle holes, use 20mm axle and spacers from stock parts used with the wheels. No custom spacers/axle or machining needed this way. Easily acquired and cheaper parts over all.

The option 2 also fits your "sleeper" aspect much better. Most people would not be able to tell the difference between the stock kat and yours after the work is done, with the only stand out option being the kat extension. Those are actually pretty common in flat areas anyways, so again... probably not really get noticed much as heavily modded.

Option 1 = more costly to make work, will use a lot more parts from the GSXR leaving less to resell to offset the mod costs. Leaves you a pile of parts hard to sell.

Option 2 = Much easier and cheaper. Leaves you a nearly complete GSXR bike missing an engine. That... with title... could probably be sold for the entire cost of your mods minus the engine rebuild. It also leaves you the option of putting your Kat engine in the GSXR frame, and selling a running bike that way. That option would probably leave you with a final $ profit for your project.

I like walking away from a mod that made me money.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X