X

$200 99 Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $200 99 Katana

Just moved to San Diego from LA and bought this from a coworker I've became friends with. He said the carbs need to be rebuilt and it has a gas leak, but is in otherwise okay shape. Hasn't been run in a long time. He only wanted $200 for it!

What do you think? I've never worked on a motorcycle but I am an electrician. Hopefully it will be running soon!

Last edited by joel19delta; 10-02-2016, 03:56 PM.

Almost all of my bikes started like that, it more work, can be fun to bring them back to life.
    1990 katana 1100

Comment

easily worth the $200, so you not gonna loose out on anything.

Sounds like a fun project and a great way to learn the bike.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Welcome! It'll be a project, but for $200, can't argue!
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

$200, wow!! a little work and some parts and you'll be on your way. don't forget to check the date codes on the tires, if she's been sitting a few years they are probably garbage.
          Kyle

Comment

Thanks everyone! I've had it a few months but I'm getting a new place with a full sized 2 car garage next week! I've owned a couple R6's and a DR350 in the past so I know the basics but I've never taken on a project before.

I don't even know where to start! Any suggestions? I've spent a couple hours researching but that's about it. I think I'll just get it running for now and then I kind of want to make it into something custom. I don't have a welder or any fabrication tools yet but I have some nice overtime money I've been saving up.

I will definitely replace them before I ever go over 20mph! Whenever I bought my previous bikes I would change out the stock tires immediately. Any suggestions? Something sport oriented but not racing would be nice. I'll probably try and save up for a really good pair now that I think of it.
            Last edited by joel19delta; 10-04-2016, 08:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Mechanics first, get it running at peak performance. Then get a manual and do the maintenance outlined, I would do a severe schedule (valve check, ETC). then tires, brakes and check the chain and sprocket. Then either make it pretty or upgrade the suspension then make it pretty. I like the pr4 but PR3 works as well. Great tire, great mileage.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-04-2016, 08:37 PM.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                Mechanics first, get it running at peak performance. Then get a manual and do the maintenance outlined, I would do a severe schedule (valve check, ETC). then tires, brakes and check the chain and sprocket. Then either make it pretty or upgrade the suspension then make it pretty.
                I'll have to do my homework on everything but that is most assuredly what I will do! Hopefully within the next 2-3 months I'll have everything done and be looking at getting better suspension. Looking pretty is the very last thing on my list.
                How hard is it to give it more of a "naked" look? Something a little leaner or more aggressive comes to mind. I miss my 08 R6 but this will be a little different. Can't wait to start a build thread!

Comment

I'm not a fan of naked Kats, the frame isn't the most desirable to be naked. If you want a naked Kat get a bandit. Much better to look at. Some have done great jobs streefightering their Kats but, 99% look exactly the same. We do have a street fighter section.

There is a bobber Kat that looks pretty good here too.
                  Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-04-2016, 08:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Yeah that's what I've gleaned so far. I'm kind of wondering if the $200 price tag makes it work it to turn it into a project. Part of me wants to get it running enough to break even/make a little money and save for something either newer/more customizable. I also think this would be a fun/cheap project that would help to build my tool collection so we will see. I'll hop over to the street fighter section here in a little while.

Comment

You can get used fairings also, too cut up or restore the bike at a fair price.

I paid more for mine and it was just a frame wheels bad motor and a tank..you did pretty good on that one.
                      Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-04-2016, 08:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

step 1...

Inspect, lube, clean, replace, flush, refil... all cables, brake lines, fluids, chain, sprockets (both, so pull the side cover for the front), chain, front forks (new oil, inspect seals), so on. Clean everything as you go. A good de-greaser and a scrub brush in there. Get all traces of old oils or grim out of the way. When done you should be able to work on the bike doing anything but not get dirty... there is a reason for that later.

Pull and clean the carbs fully, inspect, replace dmged parts as necessary.

Step 2 - get the bike started. Probably need a new battery at this point. Use a charger on it while your cranking... as it probably won't start right up and you don't want to kill the batt right off.

Step 3 - Ride it. Make sure the engine is running well and shifts good. Make adjustments if you need. Seriously consider a suspension upgrade, it's worth it.

Step 4 - Now that it runs, rides, is safe, and dependable... make it pretty.

You can get full fairing kits for cheap in great designs for the model kat you have.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What do you think about the lithium ion batteries? Is it worth it for the weight savings? I also read that my 99 Katana doesn't like aftermarket air filters. I figured since I was going to basically restore the bike that I might as well install a jet kit.
                          Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Comment

I run one, way worth the money, more power and feather weight.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Lithium iron.... highly recomended.
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X