X

Question on 1999 Katana with Bandit Transplant

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on 1999 Katana with Bandit Transplant

I was serving Letgo and came across a 1999 Katana with a 1200 Bandit engine for 250. Owner says he doesn't have title cause it's back where he used to live but will give a Bill of Sale. I was also able to get the Vin and will be checking tomorrow if it's clean (thanks everyone, I learned that here.). Bike was dropped and it looks like someone tried to work on it, I was told it was running before it was dropped at a slow speed. I'm not looking for a working bike and nothing to be running anytime soon but wanted to ask if this would be a good project?

I am mechanically incline (but never worked on a bike before). Before I go looking for the Bandit Service manual and spending 250) I wanted to bounce this off the board. TIA for any and all advice.
    2006 Katana 600

Originally posted by 600FNewbie View Post
    I was serving Letgo and came across a 1999 Katana with a 1200 Bandit engine for 250. Owner says he doesn't have title cause it's back where he used to live but will give a Bill of Sale. I was also able to get the Vin and will be checking tomorrow if it's clean (thanks everyone, I learned that here.). Bike was dropped and it looks like someone tried to work on it, I was told it was running before it was dropped at a slow speed. I'm not looking for a working bike and nothing to be running anytime soon but wanted to ask if this would be a good project?

I am mechanically incline (but never worked on a bike before). Before I go looking for the Bandit Service manual and spending 250) I wanted to bounce this off the board. TIA for any and all advice.
    The engine (if it's working) is worth more than that. Your loosing nothing to trying.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Response

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The engine (if it's working) is worth more than that. Your loosing nothing to trying.

Krey
      Thanks Krey, Im reaching out to the guy now.
      2006 Katana 600

Comment

Engine, carbs, and exhaust from a bandit 1200 typically go for over 1000 on eBay, let alone the rest of it (or in your case the kat) even if you can't get it to run, you can part it out for significantly more than 250$
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          Engine, carbs, and exhaust from a bandit 1200 typically go for over 1000 on eBay, let alone the rest of it (or in your case the kat) even if you can't get it to run, you can part it out for significantly more than 250$
          Great, hopefully it's not in to bad of shape. I expect some challenges but with some dedication, research and hard work I can add a 1200 Katana to my garage. And have a bike I can graduate to after my 600.
          2006 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
          X