X

need help. bike won't start. newbie.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help. bike won't start. newbie.

So about a a month ago I was given a 1990 katana 600 but has been sitting there for 2 years. I changed out the spark plugs, cleaned the carbs, installed a new battery, changed the oil and added fresh gas. For 3 weeks the bike ran strong with no issues. This past week on Wednesday I bought some 6m bolts to tighten up the fairings since he never had them on and now the bike won't start. It cranks and can hear it wanting to start and if it does manage to start it'll shut off instantly the minute I let go of the throttle but I only managed to get to that point twice so now it just cranks. I took off all the fairings and looked around and can't seem to figure it out. Someone told me to check the tip over sensor but I don't think this year has one? Any ideas where I should start? I'm planing to spend all day tomorrow trying to get it back up and running but have no clue being my first bike and never having experience.

Carbs are clogged up..check your tank for any rust.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

...and fixing that is going to take more than one day.

Comment

I know the tank isn't rusted but I'll double check and also take the carbs out again in the morning to check for clogs. Just thought it was odd the minute I put the bolts on the fairings it stopped running. Rode the bike to pick up the bolts, got home shut off the bike then installed the bolts within minutes then it never started back up.

Comment

Check the top of the tank also. Fairing screws have nothing to do with the bike running. Either the carbs are clogged or the petcock it malfunctioning and needs repaired or rebuilt.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Alright. I'll check those also. I already have the tank sitting in the shed and drained out so I'll check that also.

Comment

It's possible that something electrical got unplugged when you were putting the fairings on? (Clutch safety switch would be a good bet, exposed wiring just waiting to be caught by a fairing being moved in to place)

Possibly pinched a wire, grounding the ignition system?

I suppose you might have knocked off the vacuum line from the petcock to the carbs, but even then it should have started and run till the float bowls were dry.

Comment

That is possible, I guess. From his post, I believe they were semi on already and he just added missing screws.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

"...bought some 6m bolts to tighten up the fairings since he never had them on and..."

A little contradictory in his phrasing. Could be either either way.

Comment

Working...
                  X