X

Day Two of the Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day Two of the Katana

I bought this thing last tuesday and I finally got it running yesterday. It was running beautifully and i had just gotten the fairings on after a little paint and it looked pretty good. Today, not 24 hours after getting on the road, some guy merges into my lane and takes me out. I was about at his back door when he started merging and I just couldn't hit the brakes fast enough and he clipped my front end with his rear left quarter panel. Bike kicked out from under me and I did some rolls on the ground. I'm alright, just some road rash luckily. I've been riding for 1 year and this is the second time a car has hit me (both not my fault). The bike has a good amount cosmetic damage but as I found out a half hour later, it still runs like a dream. It's just been "one of those days". Nevertheless I will be rollin out to Daytona tomorrow for bike week. The Katanas just gonna have to go naked.
    1995 GSXF600 - Streetfighter in progress
    1995 Eclipse GST ~ 260hp
    1999 Yamaha R1
    2004 CBR F4i - R.I.P.

Hey, Glad you are healthy. Did you get insurance info and stuff? Were the police involved? Whats the 411?

Comment

Appears you had atleast some type of gear on, to avoid any major injuries or road rash ? Thats just sux man, sorry dude but glad you're ok !

Did he cut over into your lane quickly, using a turn signal at all, what part of your lane were you in at the time ? Just curious mainly to see if we can help you out if this scenario ever comes up again.. God forbid of course.

Comment

that sucks, glad your okay

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

We didn't get the police involved but we got all the exchanged information and he already gave me a couple hundred bucks on the spot so he shouldn't have to dish out too much more. Ya he hit me but he really was a nice guy.

I had on my helmet like always (saved my life in my first crash) but this time my head never actually hit the ground thank god. I had my gloves and the top half of my leather racing suit on which more than did its job because from the looks of the jacket my right arm and shoulder should be torn to shreds. My hip and leg are the only rashed parts of my body because I was wearing jeans.

It was a two way six lane road and I was in the far left and he was in the middle lane. He had a 4 door car and I was even with his rear door just outha his sight. We had just passed through an intersection and a car slowed down infront of him so he changed lanes quickly. From the angle I couldn't tell if he used the blinker or not. I hit the brakes but I feel that I may have had a chance of avoiding it if I had gone WOT but that was iffy too. Either way you have to commit to full brake or WOT because if you hesitate on which to do or switch between them than there is a very little chance of not laying it down/not getting hit. Anywho, I just couldn't brake fast enough and his car caught the front end of my bike knocking it out from under me.

It was just another "invisable motorcycle" case. This is why I want a D&D. I want people to know where the heck I am. The only advice I offer to people in the situation is when you react, commit because that is your best chance. Oh yeah and wear your freakin helmets.
          1995 GSXF600 - Streetfighter in progress
          1995 Eclipse GST ~ 260hp
          1999 Yamaha R1
          2004 CBR F4i - R.I.P.

Comment

How about the advice of knowing how to avoid these situations? If you can see the driver in his mirror, he can see you. Avoid riding in a vehicle's blind spot. When you are getting ready to pass a car, look ahead to determine if there is a possible situation that would prompt a lane change.

Experienced riders do this automatically, without even thinking about it, because we have either gone through it ourselves, or have learned how to avoid certain situations. In teaching my kids to ride, I always point out what to look for to avoid problems just like you describe. Even then, yes, shit happens, but if you can learn to watch for problem situations, you can diminish the danger to yourself.

Glad you are ok!
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

How about posting some pics of teh leathers and a discription of the speed and distances??

BTW Kats look better naked!!!

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                If you can see the driver in his mirror, he can see you. Avoid riding in a vehicle's blind spot.
                Even if he 'sees' you dosn't mean he will notice you! You'd be surprised how often you stare straight at something and not notice it... "If you can't see him, he can't see you" would be a bit more accurate.

Also, if you have your mirrors adjusted correctly there is no blind spot. It drives me crazy when I see people adjust their side-view mirrors so they can see their rear quarter-panel. When you do that, 2/3 of your mirror is showing either _your_ car or overlapping the rear-view mirror. I have mine almost all the way out, and you can't fit a bycicle in the spots it dosn't cover.

As there are a good number of people who will screw up one of the above, you must drive like you are invisable at all times!

/kiba
                find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

How about the advice of knowing how to avoid these situations? If you can see the driver in his mirror, he can see you. Avoid riding in a vehicle's blind spot. When you are getting ready to pass a car, look ahead to determine if there is a possible situation that would prompt a lane change.

Experienced riders do this automatically, without even thinking about it, because we have either gone through it ourselves, or have learned how to avoid certain situations. In teaching my kids to ride, I always point out what to look for to avoid problems just like you describe. Even then, yes, shiate happens, but if you can learn to watch for problem situations, you can diminish the danger to yourself.

Glad you are ok!
                  +1

even in heavy traffic - i will quicky tailgate ( if i must ) to get next to a car in the other lane - to make sure they know i'm there - then i fade back a bit. this is one of the times when i think aftermarket pipes help. even if i can't get people to look at me - a quick rev of the bike gets their attention !

always be aware of your surrounding.

good to hear your OK

tim

Comment

Glad you're okay Sadistic. Bummer about the damage to your bike, but far better the bike than you. Have fun at Daytona!

Comment

for some reason cars like to keep me in their blind spot. it makes no sense ill come up along side a car and get to where i can see them in their mirrors, they will slowly pull ahead until i cant see them. soon as im back in their mirror they pull ahead again or slow down... makes me crazy i end up passing them just to feel safe.

i knew a guy who drove a total beater car, he used to stay in peoples blind spots waiting for them to hit him and buy him a new car lol.
                      03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by kiba
                        If you can see the driver in his mirror, he can see you. Avoid riding in a vehicle's blind spot.
                        Even if he 'sees' you dosn't mean he will notice you! You'd be surprised how often you stare straight at something and not notice it... "If you can't see him, he can't see you" would be a bit more accurate.

Also, if you have your mirrors adjusted correctly there is no blind spot. It drives me crazy when I see people adjust their side-view mirrors so they can see their rear quarter-panel. When you do that, 2/3 of your mirror is showing either _your_ car or overlapping the rear-view mirror. I have mine almost all the way out, and you can't fit a bycicle in the spots it dosn't cover.

As there are a good number of people who will screw up one of the above, you must drive like you are invisable at all times!

/kiba
                        i must need new mirrors then lol i have blind spots on both sides. ive never sat and measured/adjusted it to be perfect. but from what i have adjusted to be the best i can find i have a major blind side on the passenger side. minor on driver side. just today i had a VW jetta dissapear in my blind spot. i knew it was there but wasnt in my mirror and wasnt in my periphrial vision. had to look back slightly to see it.

i adjust my mirrors so i can see my car then i move them out slightly so my car is just out of sight, i figured that was a good place for them. should i push them out furthor still even if i cant see my car in them?
                        03 katanika

Comment

How about the advice of knowing how to avoid these situations? If you can't see the driver in his mirror, he can't see you. Avoid riding in a vehicle's blind spot. When you are getting ready to pass a car, look ahead to determine if there is a possible situation that would prompt a lane change.

Experienced riders do this automatically, without even thinking about it, because we have either gone through it ourselves, or have learned how to avoid certain situations. In teaching my kids to ride, I always point out what to look for to avoid problems just like you describe. Even then, yes, shiate happens, but if you can learn to watch for problem situations, you can diminish the danger to yourself.

Glad you are ok!
                          +1

Also, do you cover your front brake to reduce reaction time? This is something that I have found to be helpful.

Comment

In urban situations like this, I keep my left thumb on (over) the horn button and it goes down instantly whenever someone starts moving the wrong way... I figure still he won't see me at first, but he might get startled by the horn enough to yank back enough to avoid me.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I found that people are often distracted with cell phones and loud music, so a louder pipe won't be much help. The best strategy is don't ride in anyone's blind spot and keep away from cars whenever possible (which is getting more difficult with our increasing traffic woes).
                              "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Working...
                              X