X

Total embarassment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total embarassment

Some of you may remember my fuel leak problem of a couple of weeks ago, which after fitting a petrol tap repair kit, was all sorted.
    The bike has been sitting in the garage since, waiting for the weather to warm up. I've started it a couple of times in the meantime with no problems.
    Yesterday I went to fire it up to show a friend and.........nothing!! The engine turned over fine, but just refused to fire.
    I have taken the tank off, removed the 'petcock', primed the carbs directly and the bike fired up straight up.
    I've taken the 'petcock' apart to see if I can see anything wrong, but the only thing I can see that might have been a problem, is the square white piece of plastic.
    I hadn't noticed that there is a small hole in one edge of it and I wonder if it is critical which way round the plastic is fitted.
    Can anyone help please?
    Also, I'm having great difficulty re-fitting the 3 sided metal clip that holds the petrol tap to the body of the petcock. Is there a trick that would help me please?

At the expense of sounding like a complete idiot, and by all means the last thing I'd do is insult your intelligence, I once had a bike with similar symptoms. It was my first bike in years, an '83 GSX750ES. It had been running fine, until I decided to clean the storage compartment under the seat. I also neatly folded a red rag and stashed it there for future spills, etc.

I took the bike out and after two miles it choked and died. It would turn over, and fire, but it would not run. I called the po and described the symptoms. "Is the air intake under the seat clear?" "Uh, yes it is, except for the red rag I just stored there which is apparently choking the intake. sheeeesh..."

I doubt that you have done the same thing, but your symptoms reminded me of it. I hope you come up with some better answers to your problem. It can be frustrating, I know.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Hi Zuma, I'm sure it wasn't your suggestion about blocking the air filter intake, but I think that I may have solved the problem.
      I managed to find some pictures on ebay of GSXF petrol taps for sale. While studying them I noticed that the square white plastic piece was positioned with the little square nodule on the edge of it, at the top and pointing forwards. I also further noticed that the square plastic piece was positioned between the 2 black diaphragms.
      I had completely forgotten that I had removed it originally by pulling a diaphragm through the centre hole.
      I have now re-assembled the whole 'petcock', as per the picture. I even managed to get the tap secured properly without too much stress.
      We that would be pseudo mechanics, should pay more attention to the way things come apart.
      Too late now to go out to the garage, but hopefully in the morning I should have everything up and running.

Comment

Well that's good! Best wishes from the snowy mountains.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

may have some info if you still need.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96553

may have some info if you still need.

Krey

Thanks for that Krey.
            I followed those instructions when I did the job initially and found them very helpful....but you didn't remind me to put one of the diaphragms through the square plastic bit!!
            However, the job is done now and the bike is running sweetly. Looking forward to a long, hot, trouble free summer.
            Thanks again to everyone that offered help.
            Ride safe!!

Comment

Originally posted by carbman View Post
              Thanks for that Krey.
              I followed those instructions when I did the job initially and found them very helpful....but you didn't remind me to put one of the diaphragms through the square plastic bit!!
              However, the job is done now and the bike is running sweetly. Looking forward to a long, hot, trouble free summer.
              Thanks again to everyone that offered help.
              Ride safe!!
              Long, hot summer? Hmm. In England?
              Anyway, good to hear all is well and you are back up and running. Enjoy the long rides and take care..
              MelWain

Comment

Take your point Mel, but remember 1967!!! and last year was pretty good. We live in hope.
                Are you by any chance an ex-pat?
                Already got a meet arranged, 25th April, with old friends from 40 years ago.
                Meeting at Hunstanton, the only place on Britains east coast where you can see the sun set over the sea!!

Comment

Originally posted by carbman View Post
                  Take your point Mel, but remember 1967!!! and last year was pretty good. We live in hope.
                  Are you by any chance an ex-pat?
                  Already got a meet arranged, 25th April, with old friends from 40 years ago.
                  Meeting at Hunstanton, the only place on Britains east coast where you can see the sun set over the sea!!
                  Born and bred here in SA. The wife, however, is an expat from Cornwall. Does that count? Been over there a few times to visit family and friends. I always enjoy it especially the pubs!!
                  MelWain

Comment

We love Cornwall!!
                    The kids never holidayed anywhere else while they were growing up. Always camping, usually on Treverven Farm, just short of Lands End.
                    Returning there this summer with the dogs, to Sennen.
                    Agree about the pubs!

Comment

Working...
                    X