X

JIS Drivers - Worth it!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JIS Drivers - Worth it!

Hey kids...thought I'd do a post about the new JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) drivers that I just got from Amazon. They are REALLY good!

If any of you have taken your carbs apart (which SHOULD be ALL of you!) - then you know how much of a pain it can be to get a good grip on some of the 'Phillips' head screws. This is because those screws are NOT Phillips! They are JIS.

I'm sure that JIS has been mentioned before - but with so many of us doing restos and Winter projects on our bikes, I thought it would be good to remind you. If you have ever cursed Phillips fasteners on your Japanese bike - there's a reason why.

I tried the #2 on the carb bar first - they locked in to the fastener perfectly unlike when I tried one with a #2 Phillips. Anyway...here's some pics of the ones I got. They are much higher quality than what I thought from the pics before I bought them from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS-Screwdriver-3rd/dp/B00A7WAHTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416927878&sr=8-1&keywords=jis+screwdriver+set"]Amazon[/ame]:
    Attached Files

While not a bad move to complete a toolbox by any means, I'd perfer to spend about $10 on Stainless Steel Hex Screw replacements. It allows my on-the-road kit to contain only 2 Allen heads and a 10mm to fully strip the bike of fairings and tank, full carb dissassembly. Emergency kit sizes are of more concern for Pre-Kats however, as they have practically no storage space whatsoever.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Yup...can't argue with replacing them with cap screws. BUT...you have to actually get them off first!

Besides...JIS is on everything these days. They work equally well on your laptop and other areas on the bike.

Comment

They are worth it to get the screws out for replacement with cap head Allen screws, had mine for years now, still comes in handy.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 11-25-2014, 03:37 PM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Im pretty sure that the two sided screwdriver in the katana toolbox is a JIS screwdriver

Last edited by mammut89; 11-25-2014, 04:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Mine didn't come with the factory tools.

An impact driver also works successfully well to remove them.
            First motorcycle - new project
            1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by MEngineer View Post
              An impact driver also works successfully well to remove them.
              +1,000, I have a set of #1-#4 JIS screw drivers. They still strip the float bowl screws every time. Well, maybe not every time, but a lot. I just use a #2 phillips impact bit in an impact driver, and unscrew them by hand. That has a much higher success rate. If that doesn't work, I dremel a groove in the screws and unscrew them with a flat head. Works every time.

Comment

I had the problem of a lot of the screws that hold the carb boots to the motor wanted to strip. Impact driver removed every one of them without hesitation, except when I tightened them.
                First motorcycle - new project
                1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  +1,000, I have a set of #1-#4 JIS screw drivers. They still strip the float bowl screws every time. Well, maybe not every time, but a lot. I just use a #2 phillips impact bit in an impact driver, and unscrew them by hand. That has a much higher success rate. If that doesn't work, I dremel a groove in the screws and unscrew them with a flat head. Works every time.
                  Then replace them with allen heads?
                  (that's what I do..

Chris!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                    Then replace them with allen heads?
                    (that's what I do..

Chris!!!!
                    I do, on every set I build, the old shit has to come out first.

Comment

Working...
                    X