X

Winter Coat for your Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Coat for your Kat

Well I have given in to the onset of winter. Gave the Kat a wash and polish then spent a while pulling it apart and coating all over in ACF50. Hopefully this will stop the worst of the winter starting any corrosion while I keep riding till spring time.
    What do you use to keep your bike from corroding under you through the winter?

A garage
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      A garage
      1+

If you don't have a garage, my recommendation would be to 'bag' it. Get some visqueen/plastic sheeting and make a bag that complete encapsulates the bike. To minimize corrosion due to condensation, put a bag of kitty litter in the bag and slice it open. Seal the big bag well. Usually you can fold over one long edge & clip it together so you can reuse it.

They sell a similar deal for cars: Rhino Storage Bag

Just a word to the wise in case it doesn't dawn on you...put the bike somewhere protected from the wind so that it doesn't turn into a sail & get blown over.

Comment

I was joking, he's still riding it. Lots of warm baths will reduce salt damage, if that's what they are using.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yep a garage is good to the gallon but difficult to park in work....Prefer to ride the Kat through the winter unlike some so called bikers who park up from November to April.
          Daily use would not suit your freezer bag idea either....Unless I had just passed my test spent a load of money on a over hyped/priced sports bike and Ninja warrior suit and was too afraid to go out in temps of less than 20c.
          Is Kat litter something you put under your bike when you have an oil leak??
          The Kat sits in the garage over night with the other bikes, but is used all year round so needs a little winter protection or the forks will have a lovely fur coat by March.
          Just wondered if there was a better way than what I was doing....After 30 years riding that's all I found....Another winter riders experience would be appreciated....

Comment

Missed the 'ride thru Winter' line...

Keep it waxed & oiled. Not sure what else to suggest or what else you realistically could do. WD40 & Mother's spray wax would be on my list...They salt the roads around here & that tears stuff up if there isn't some kind of 'fat' or wax to protect the good stuff.

You could also spray some 3M Paint Defender on the shiny parts to keep the road rash down.

RE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRvL1aqG9JI
            Last edited by RobertTravis; 11-22-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

A 1960s old WD40 ad says-
              WD40
              Rusty Nuts?
              Makes old tools feel like new
              Tools slide in and out with ease
              Lubricates dry passage ways
              Makes screwing a pleasure
              Gives better penetration
              Stands 9 inch high 1 3/4 inch dia
              With red knob on top

But it washes off, had hoped we had moved forward....

Comment

Working...
              X