X

Chain Riveter - Recommendation?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Riveter - Recommendation?

My 1100 uses a 532 chain, but I just got a 530 conversion kit with new sprockets. It looks like the master link is press on rivets only - no clip (which IS better, but you need the tool to do it) - anybody got a recommendation for a riveter? Anything else I need?

I've been using el cheapo Stockton chain riveter from Cycle gear. Got it on sale for I think $30. 3 chains and 0 problems so far.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

OK cool. I wasn't sure if the cheap ones were problematic or not. I figured I'd ask because sometimes you can't get away with the cheap tool...ya gotta buy the real deal.

Comment

I'd make sure to lube it whatever you get so it won't bind/shear off. And if you were going to be doing this professionally...I'd recommend higher end. But for very occasional use...works for me.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I recently changed my chain and rather than buy a quality chain tool that maybe would be used once or twice I found this site that rents Ducati tools. Most are Ducati specific but they do rent the RK Chain Tool (know as the best chain tool made) and a laser chain alignment tool which ensures that it is properly aligned for $29.95 USD that includes shipping to and from. They will charge an additional $100.00 deposit that is refunded and you have a full thirty days to return it. Excellent instructions are included. That tool new is about $120.00. The change was a breeze and I spent more time cleaning out the chain lube gunk around the front sprocket than anything else. Link is below.

Last edited by expvet; 11-07-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Good to know - thanks for the link...but I'm a tool whore so I have to have my own

Comment

I like tools also, but for somthing as safety critical as the chain, I didn't want to go anything but top shelf. Getting the pins out is no big deal. I ground the pin heads off with a dremel and they slid right out. The key part is then you press the new link in and spread the new pin heads. It must be a specific diameter. Too narrow and they could wiggle themselves out, too wide and they will slowly crumble and then wiggle out. Having this happen on the road could be deadly. A good tool like the RK controls that spread slowly enough so you can get it spot on. But they are expensive new and I could not see shelling out 100+ for a once every X years (if that) job. I had looked at the Stockton but read too many negatives to not want to take the chance. That laser alignment tool that comes with it is great. Hard to get the wheel in alignment with just the naked eye and once done you mark it on the swingarm notches and have that as a refernce for life.

Comment

Yeah - seems the RK is the one to get. I missed the laser alignment tool. Linky?

Comment

It is on the link I left from the earlier post from Ducati. The laser adjuster is included in the 29.95.

Comment

I see it now - thanks! I overlooked it because I want to buy/keep one in my toolbox since I have 2 bikes at the moment & have fam/friends with bikes...so I don't mind investing in either of them.

Comment

I got the rivet set from amazon. It was not the cheapest but very durable.
                      Not sure if I could post the link but click [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MS9VTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]here[/ame]

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X