Who has a long memeory?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a long memeory?

Hello again,
    Well my recent purchase of 05 Reg K3 with 900 miles on it now has had an oil + filter change after 100 miles, new plugs and K&N from my Pre fitted(set for std), carbs balanced and exploding fork seal replaced( that was fun!). Just done another 500 miles and going to do another oil and filter just to make sure all the s**t for standing around is gone. So feels like an new bike.
    The question is, if you can remember that far back, when your Post 600 was "new" did it buzz the bars and seat about 5-7k. Riding around town up to 4k no buzz. Bigger roads and a bit faster BUZZZ! Over 7k no buzz. Just wondered as the pre didn't do this. Is it just wait and ride more for it all to bed down more or a suspect mount? Appreciate any thoughts.....

I'm pretty sure ALL Kats vibrate in that RPM range...including my 1100. Just make sure you properly syn'd the carbs because if they aren't, that can cause vibration too...and unevenly worn tires.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, carbs were balanced by the local dyno shop with the digital kit while I watched so all good there, that's what sorted the poor idle. Tires are still originals with all of 1500 miles on, road speed makes no change so it is engine RPM. Just cant remember the pre buzzing that's all and wondered if the post 600 was any different.
      Well oily hands for me tomorrow any way and oil & filter change before I revert to std times changes.

Comment

If your tires are OEM, you're way past due for replacement.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          If your tires are OEM, you're way past due for replacement.
          +1
          Probably won't help with the vibes at all but will help with the crap handling/traction.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yeh your right 9 year old tires probably are a bit past it, but as I haven't got £200 for a new pair this side of Christmas they will have to wait for a bit. Kids probably wouldn't understand Santa bought 2 bits of rubber for my bike!

Comment

Originally posted by max the kat View Post
              Hello again,
              Well my recent purchase of 05 Reg K3 with 900 miles on it now has had an oil + filter change after 100 miles, new plugs and K&N from my Pre fitted(set for std), carbs balanced and exploding fork seal replaced( that was fun!). Just done another 500 miles and going to do another oil and filter just to make sure all the s**t for standing around is gone. So feels like an new bike.
              The question is, if you can remember that far back, when your Post 600 was "new" did it buzz the bars and seat about 5-7k. Riding around town up to 4k no buzz. Bigger roads and a bit faster BUZZZ! Over 7k no buzz. Just wondered as the pre didn't do this. Is it just wait and ride more for it all to bed down more or a suspect mount? Appreciate any thoughts.....

Found it.

Ditch the K&N, get rid of the buzz... and other performance issues it's causing.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Ditch the K&N
                Yup...good eye. I missed that one.

On a side note, I've heard that Ford & GM where voiding warranties for transmissions in cars that use mass air flow sensors, because the oil from the K&N filter screws up the calibration when droplets get on the mass air sensor wire - causing the trans to shift at the wrong time or converter not to lock up etc. They don't flow as well as a properly maintained paper filter in my experience.

Comment

Would not have thought of the K&N causing a problem with buzzing vibration, but its worth a shot. Does not appear to give any other running issues. Will swap it out in the morning and see how it goes. Cheers Krey.

Comment

Would not have thought of the K&N causing a problem with buzzing vibration, but its worth a shot. Does not appear to give any other running issues. Will swap it out in the morning and see how it goes. Cheers Krey.

The bike is equipped with CV carbs.

CV (constant velocity) carbs are not mechanical based in how they supply fuel, instead they relay heavily on air flow and pressures before/after.

On the Katana specifically, the air box and OEM air filter provides a certain amount of back pressure. That pressure helps to bring fuel through the carbs to mix with the air that is passing through the carbs.

K&N air filters reduces that back pressure, increases the air flow. You get more air, less fuel = lean.

The 4 cylinder engine buzzes when/because it's lean.

Changing the jetting will not resolve the lean issue, as it's not the amount of fuel the jets let through, it's the change in air flow/pressures that is causing the problem.

Simple answer... ditch the K&N.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well live and learn, had read a few posts on here saying K+N had caused issues. Just looked at it as running rough type problems for guys using jet kits etc, as mine seems to run ok apart from the annoying buzz I never would have gone back to that!
                      Glad I kept the original filter just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
                        Yup...good eye. I missed that one.

On a side note, I've heard that Ford & GM where voiding warranties for transmissions in cars that use mass air flow sensors, because the oil from the K&N filter screws up the calibration when droplets get on the mass air sensor wire - causing the trans to shift at the wrong time or converter not to lock up etc. They don't flow as well as a properly maintained paper filter in my experience.
                        I wonder what Fords excuse was for my transmission failure at just 7K KM
                        OH YA, DCT

Well live and learn, had read a few posts on here saying K+N had caused issues. Just looked at it as running rough type problems for guys using jet kits etc, as mine seems to run ok apart from the annoying buzz I never would have gone back to that!
                        Glad I kept the original filter just in case.
                        My 05 750 had a KN in it when I bought it and it ran like a champ
                        I am lazy and impatient so I replaced it with another regular filter without any noticeable change
                        I gave the KN to Batgirl for her bike and it worked fine there as well
                        Last edited by rexazz2; 11-08-2014, 09:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Well I put the stock filter back in this morning and went for a spin. Buzz much reduced, bike idles a little better as well. Lesson learned, use stock air filter only from now on. Thanks for the great advice, like I said I would never have gone back to the filter as the culprit.

Strange though as the pre ran ok with it in, then again that had a 4 into 1 and aftermarket can. Also FJ1200 I had years ago ran fine with K+N and Remus cans. Different systems have a different tolerance to changes I suppose.

Comment

ya my post had a D&D can
                            Batgirls pre had a old GSXR motor and a Scorpion? can that her hubby put together
                            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                            X