X

Graduate to??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduate to??

What bikes do Katana riders tend to graduate to?
    Just starting riding this year so I don't have a lot of experience with different bikes. I bought my bike as a starter. I was looking for a Ninja 500 because I thought that would be the best bike to start on. My friends said don't do it buy a Kat or a Bandit.They said I would be bored with the Ninja before the end of the summer. I ignored them and kept looking for a ninja 500 and there was nothing decent in my price range(2500). They seemed to be not well taken care of or high mileage. Then one day I spotted my 750 on Kijiji and sent the ad to a friend. and he replied Buy it !!! It was in great shape and when I sat on it it just felt right. So I bought it. I've been so happy with my purchase. I love my bike. Seeing I bought this as a starter what should my next bike be? At this point I can't see ever needing or wanting anything else.
    Most of my friends ride cruisers but I don't feel that old just yet But I must say the M50-109R bikes really catch my eye.

It all boils down to personal preference. In addition to my Kat, I have a ZZR1200, which is basically a larger more brutish version of the Kat. Both serve me very well in different aspects - when riding solo, the Kat accelerates much quicker from low speeds. When 2 up on the highway, the ZZR is my weapon of choice. If I had to chose between the two, the Kat would get the nod, since she is my daily flogger, and lighter more fuel efficient than the ZZR. Choose based on your needs, and not someone else's decision as to what or why you need to ride this or that bike.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Mod/upgrade the Kat.

Start with the suspension. Every couple months add in another of, be it for power, safety, handling, comfort, etc. Every time something new goes on mine I'm all giddy for a while.

But if you're really wanting another bike, it's really personal preference as was already stated. What do you want to do with it? Tear up the twisties? Tour the country? Commute? Little of everything? (If it's some of everything, seriously keep and upgrade the Kat. It's a jack of all trades specializing in none (but can with mods) but being quite capable at all.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

It is something of everything I'm interested in. So the Kat is probably going to be my ride for a long time. I'm just curious what other people move on too. Eventually it will need replacing after it gets to many miles on it. Is there something comparable that is new tech. fuel injected abs etc... ? I have some mods planned for this winter some for each of the categories you mentioned. Once I'm done them I'm sure I want to keep my Kat that much more.

Comment

I went from a 600 Kat to a Yamaha FZ1.

Comment

I still have my Kat, and have progressed to doing some racing on a 125cc mini, and on a CRF150F.

Comment

My primary ride is still the 750 Kat I bought new in 93.

Moving on would suggest it doesn't fit your riding style and something better will. What kind of riding do you see yourself doing? Racing? Offroad/dual sport? Cross country traveling? Cruising to the bar?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If you're worried about high miles eventually, engine swap. That's way I've got in mind for my 600. The Kat is perfect for my riding style, and I love the mods I've done, so might as well take advantage of already upgraded brakes suspension and comfort. Drop in a lower mileage engine, good to go
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Can't really imagine replacing the Kat, just adding to the stable with either a DR or KLR style dual sport. Different bikes for different roads...
                  Last edited by skjeflo; 10-29-2014, 11:44 PM.

Comment

If I were to buy my next bike it would be a new Klr 650 for 6k. ...
                    Or a Yamaha MT 9. For $7,599 3 cyl .

Comment

My next bike would be a post 2000 gsxr 750. But I don't have that kind of cash. When I do finally get what I want, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be keeping the Katana too. Probably reversing a few of the mods and gear it towards a long haul bike.
                      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I went from my beloved Kat to a 2001 CBR600F4I....
                        Never looked back, lighter, faster, quicker.......did someone say fuel injection???? LOL
                        THE DOC
                        RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                        Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                        mistake when you make it again.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by edgelite View Post
                          What bikes do Katana riders tend to graduate to?
                          Just starting riding this year so I don't have a lot of experience with different bikes. I bought my bike as a starter. I was looking for a Ninja 500 because I thought that would be the best bike to start on. My friends said don't do it buy a Kat or a Bandit.They said I would be bored with the Ninja before the end of the summer. I ignored them and kept looking for a ninja 500 and there was nothing decent in my price range(2500). They seemed to be not well taken care of or high mileage. Then one day I spotted my 750 on Kijiji and sent the ad to a friend. and he replied Buy it !!! It was in great shape and when I sat on it it just felt right. So I bought it. I've been so happy with my purchase. I love my bike. Seeing I bought this as a starter what should my next bike be? At this point I can't see ever needing or wanting anything else.
                          Most of my friends ride cruisers but I don't feel that old just yet But I must say the M50-109R bikes really catch my eye.
                          I like my kats because they kind of sit in the middle of my favorite ends of the spectrum, I like cruiser comfort/style but not enough to own one, while the Yamaha R1 Crossplane is a true dream bike of mine, but possibly not something I'd want to commute on... That being said, I'm still totally buying one when I can come up with the cash. The sound alone is enough to make me grin like a cheshire cat. Lol

Anyway, Enter the Suzuki Katana, a happy medium of sorts and a pleasure to ride around on.

Well, to be fair, my 600 has spent more time being wrenched on than ridden thus far, but it's a learning experience. Shame it wasn't maintained by the PO. my 750 with triple the mileage of the 600 still runs like a swiss watch. lol

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                            But if you're really wanting another bike, it's really personal preference as was already stated. What do you want to do with it? Tear up the twisties? Tour the country? Commute? Little of everything? (If it's some of everything, seriously keep and upgrade the Kat. It's a jack of all trades specializing in none (but can with mods) but being quite capable at all.
                            This for sure. I've had a lot of people tell me what I should upgrade to, but those "upgrades" would all have tradeoffs. The Kat really is a great compromise for me already. I'm still tempted to get a Ninja 300 for commuting (for the fuel injection starts and better gas mileage), but the Kat really isn't *that* bad, and it's not like there's many days I can commute via motorcycle anyways...

Comment

Thanks guys you have confirmed what I was thinking. My Kat will be with my a long time. I enjoy all types of riding and it can do them all. Well except dual sport I'm going to focus on making it the best Kat it can be. I have lots of plans for the winter lets see what I get done of my list. Winter is a good six months here so I have time. First thing is to insulation that garage

Comment

Working...
                              X