Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

opinions on the Katana, time for some honesty.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damn! i just saw how much I wrote sorry for the novel all! but i feel better
    Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

i hope my comment is WARENTED HERE!

i ride with jason QUITE A BIT....

i use to have a 93 Kat 600..

and well i now have a yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat (guess i had to stay with a CAT in some form)

so anyways all i gotta say is he is ready for a gsxr yes my only fear is that he will die on it... (sorry jason)

the way he takes the twisty's arround here is insane my bike will out do his in every way shape and form maybe im not brave enough to take the turns like he does although since in got my pilots i have been taking them alot harder and faster like that turn you take at 60 now im at 80...

but jason needs 3 bikes i think his kat a gsxr for corners and a F4i for stunting lol...

he loves his twisty's and he loves his wheelies..

the kat is hard to get up and you really can't hold them to long...

with my bike granted i don't have 2nd gear right now i can hold them up longer then he can in first once i change my sprokets i should be able to get up in 3rd....

but no for a beginer rider he has advanced greatly in his skillz. he has had his mishaps but we all do hell last sunday 30mins into my bday i 12 oclocked a little to far going about 60mph i slid about 150 feet came out with nothing but some scrapes on my right knee.. thanks to the protective gear of course...

although my bike looped back and i bent my forks we all make our mistakes. i have helped jason after his last mistake by giving him the crank case off my 93kat so he could be back up and running..

either way go for the SS but be carefull bro i don't wana be going to you funeral either.... i know you don't wana goto mine

another thing though jason and i should do this aswell... goto some jennings track days everyone i knwo that rides track have all said one day at the track = 6months of riding experiance on the road...
      Woody
      http://www.nationalcyclesupply.net
      http://www.ncsupply.com

Comment

Originally posted by jason05
        good comments people... lemme bring up a point.

i dont care how good of a driver you are, you arent gonna take a stock ford explorer and beat a stock corvette in the turns. i impress the boys in the twisties occasionally... but there is a fine line that i pass occasionally that puts me on the pavement.... that line is a lot higher with a bike designed for cornering. otherwise, we would see the katana platform on the racetrack against SS bikes. i dont blame my crashes on the bike.... i blame it on myself for believing everyone on here that says the katana handles well and me pushin it hard until i eat it.
        A fast rider on a slow bike is still a fast rider.....
        A slow rider on a fast bike is still a SLOW RIDER.....

You take any motoGP rider and put him on your Kat and you take a '06 GSXR 1000 and see who makes its around first......
        '07 SV1000S
        Power Commander III USB
        M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
        Driven 520 chain kit
        Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Originally posted by woody

and well i now have a yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat (guess i had to stay with a CAT in some form)

so anyways all i gotta say is he is ready for a gsxr yes my only fear is that he will die on it... (sorry jason)

the way he takes the twisty's arround here is insane my bike will out do his in every way shape and form maybe im not brave enough to take the turns like he does although since in got my pilots i have been taking them alot harder and faster like that turn you take at 60 now im at 80...

but jason needs 3 bikes i think his kat a gsxr for corners and a F4i for stunting lol...

with my bike granted i don't have 2nd gear right now i can hold them up longer then he can in first once i change my sprokets i should be able to get up in 3rd....

but no for a beginer rider he has advanced greatly in his skillz. he has had his mishaps but we all do hell last sunday 30mins into my bday i 12 oclocked a little to far going about 60mph i slid about 150 feet came out with nothing but some scrapes on my right knee.. thanks to the protective gear of course...

although my bike looped back and i bent my forks we all make our mistakes. i have helped jason after his last mistake by giving him the crank case off my 93kat so he could be back up and running..

either way go for the SS but be carefull bro i don't wana be going to you funeral either.... i know you don't wana goto mine

another thing though jason and i should do this aswell... goto some jennings track days everyone i knwo that rides track have all said one day at the track = 6months of riding experiance on the road...
          i think what some people call skill others call being dumb. could just be me but by the sounds of things you guys think taking a turn really fast and crashing or doing wheelies and crashing is skill? sounds more like just having no fear of the bikes. anyone can put a pizza sprocket on any bike and get the front end to come up and wreck like you did. anyone can take a turn to fast and dump the bike then say 'it was the bikes fault'. i still havent seen anyone come up with a valid reason to keep bragging about some major skill?

having skill doesnt mean you can take some turn at 80 instead of 60, its How Well you take that turn at any speed. speed doesnt = skill.

maybe you 2 should go to a local track day then youd have something to brag about... or to be put in your places either way keep it off the street would be best for everyone.
          03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by woody

: Read my prior post
            '07 SV1000S
            Power Commander III USB
            M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
            Driven 520 chain kit
            Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Let this be the last post on this please. After reading Jasons post about going down in a turn, and then hooking up with friends to practice wheelies, my mind is made up. Jason be honest with us and yourself, it seems to me that your heart is in being a stunter. You seem to love the attention that comes with being reckless, and doing things on a bike that a bike is not meant to do. That goes for a Kat, Busa, CBR, or whatever. Stoppies and stand-up whellies were not on the Engineers minds when they created these bikes. So go out grab your dream SS bike, install a grab handle and become an official stunter. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do. Be careful, I may disagree with you, but I would NEVER want to see you get hurt.

Comment

Jason, you are trying to compare apples to oranges. Katana is not an R bike. It is heavy, big, and underpowed, and it very forgiven. If you had an R rated bike, personally, I think you would have been dead by now. After all the accedents that you have been through, you managed to walk away, I believe an R rated bikes are very unforgiven.

One more very important piont is you are comparing a 5K bike to about 10K bike. It is like trying to compare a Toyota Corolla to a Mustang. Each car made for differnet purpose, so are the bikes. Each one are made for different riding style.

I suggest that you keep your current bike for sometime, go to track days, and when you become very confident with your riding ability, get an R rate bike.

Comment

I'm not big on forum mud slinging and argueing, so I'm going to veer back towards the original intent of this thread:

I LOVE MY KATANA
                  The reasons start at the original drawing factor of it, Its just plain hot. This bike is one of the best looking bikes out there in my opinion, but then again i owned a 96 Taurus with the stunned fish expression.

I've only been riding for a year, with only about 4 rides under my belt on the katana itself, but it feels stable no matter what I do to it. I've locked the rear brake up twice on it so far, the first time cuz it was the first time i was on the bike and it just had that much more stopping power than my 84 honda, and the second time cuz somebody was pulling out infront of me and i got all newb inside. Regardless, the second time I was mid corner, and I have the sneaking suspision that if I had done this on a less forgiving bike, I wouldn't have been able to maintain my body up-rubber down position.

Finally, I intend on taking a lot of long rides on this bike, see some parts of the country I haven't before I get out of college and have a job and family, which seems to be when it really gets difficult to travel....

Long story short, I love the katana and wouldn't trade it for anything. Perhaps I'll end up with an SS at some point (the 750 gixxers are sweet!), but it will probably be a track bike as I'm really interested in some amateur racing/track days down the road. But I have done zero research on that topic and I'm probably about 70 pounds too heavy to entertain that thought, so we'll have to save it.

Props to Kats and everybody who loves them
                  None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                  -Robert Morrison

"
                  well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Actually, guys, I've said to Jason before and I'll say it again:

Me think he doesn't belong on a R bike... or a Kat... he belongs on a super-moto (street-modified dirt bike)... Something specific to stunting in every sense that is a whoop to ride and will take a spill without serious $$$ damages.

But that's just my two cents based on comments he's made over the months.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Dont mean to rag on you dude but like everyone here is saying you are inexperienced.I dont care if you took the MSF course you obviuosly didnt learn much about real world riding. Ive been riding for 20 years + and I know from experience what your mentallity is at this point in your riding career. I was there once or five times didnt crash luckly. I bought myKAT 750 new in 1993 and stilll riding it. I still squid out now and again, its a fine bike,sit back and learn how to ride it,any Gomer can do 135 on a straight road,it takes a rider to know when to slow down. Again not trying to offend you.

Comment

Jason and Woody would seem to be the High Insurance premium poster children.

Unfortunately we all have to pay because they want to ride like a-holes.

Jason doesn't need a different bike, he needs NO bike.

Carl-
                        "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

I'm a 52 year old rider with over 40 years of riding 18-19 different bikes over the years.I am very seriously thinking of getting a new, 2005 750 Katana.I'm interested in the Kat as a fun roadster capable of taking my wife on the back and going on weekend, and longer trips.Also as a fun machine. But I don't need the latest high tech sports bike, and I know that.I have ridden a couple of 600 Kats, and enjoyed them for what they were.I would get the 750 as I will be hauling double, but still want a soprty bike, rather than a gold wing or something huge.

Jon Neet
                          Jon
                          Puyallup, Wa. USA

Comment

everything i am thinking has been said so no point and repeating someone else

altho i think me and jason need to make a stunt team with some super motos every now and then i would swap tires out for sum off roadin but they are hella fun i road the drz400 is crazy i have same motor in my 4wheeler and trust me cant be killed i have tried but anyway

Cyber had a great idea

and of course its not the bike its the rider
                            as said the bikeless wonder!

Comment

Cripes... KP wouldn't have let this go on this long... No offense Jim.

Someone is gonna die doing something they aren't ready for. I'm not gonna go into getting your arse off the seat more if you are draggin peg... Just suffice it to say that you ain't ready. In any sense of the word.

My current ride of choice

Comment

Wow Jason.. sounds like you have alot of learning to do about the Kat and its abilities.

Personally, I ride with a group of nothing but Supersports, save for one fellow sport tourer with a 'busa.

I am not trying to toot my own horn here, but in the twisites, I keep up just fine, and I have sometimes even followed directly behind the leader, without any issue of keeping up in a group ride.

I admit, where my Kat 600 lacks is in the straights, with its top speed of only 210 kph, due to hp restriction and drag. But this is of no concequence.

In summary, the bike handles just fine. Its a heavy bike and requires some effort to toss around, but it will do it nicely. And its stability and geometry make it a great long distance ride, further with its comfy seat! Its aerodynamics are admitedly off, but its ridign position is great!

Now, not to be insulting in any way, but if you are dragging pegs, and have fallen twice from what sounds like simple rider errors - you really might want to take a riding course, or take it again if you have taken one, and if you concider yourself a good rider, take a Race or Track school. It sounds like you lack advanced riding skills, such as getting out of the saddle in turns, and picking a proper line in a turn, and apex riding.

Ride to the capability of your bike! If someone laughs at ya on that Sunday Group ride, just do this: When filled up after 3 hundred km's and your SS friends want to take a rest break - insist that you are just fine, your bike is comfy, and to continue - its not your fault that thier bikes have wrist breaking and spine cracking technology built right in!

Just my thoughts, opinions, and 2 cents.
                                -Grimmy
                                Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

Working...
                                X