X

Stretched Cam Chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretched Cam Chain

After recently having a break down that gave my engine a tick, a significantly loss of power, and making it have a hard start up that wont continue to run unless the throttle is applied..Anyways, I removed my valve cover to take a look into the top of the engine. Besides for a small piece of shrapnel nothing seemed to be to wrong. We then found out that the timing was very far off.

We reset both camshafts to the correct positions-don't worry we took them out and applied Moly paste to the journals and also set the crankshaft to the right spot..After that we put the chain back onto the sprockets, counting the links in the chain many times to make sure that there were only 21 in between the intake cam & exhaust cam.

We cranked the crankshaft clockwise 3 times to turn the engine..After the crankshaft was set to were it was suppose to be only the exhaust cam was back in the correct position-the intake cam was off.. We moved the chain to have only 20 links in between but it was far to tight..After measuring the distance in the chain from the exhaust cam to intake cam the distance came out to be about 6.455 in which is over the service limit of 6.220 in according to the FSM.

My brother & I could only come to the conclusion that my cam chain is stretched, which is what cause the problem in the first place. Has anybody heard of that happening? And if so is the only option to replace the chain?

Thank you!

Yip and yip
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I figured..The engine will now have to be fully removed.

Thanks man & sleek looking Katana!

Comment

Does anybody know if you can link a new chain onto the old one and put it on that way vs having to take the whole motor apart?

Comment

That is known way to do it.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Break the chain on the old chain, safety wire the new chain to the old chain, then carefully thread?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I thought the new chain was "endless". Is it wise to break the new chain and try to rivet it back together?

Comment

I've never replaced one myself, i think they make two types one is endless, the other with a master.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm pretty sure Suzuki doesn't sell a cam chain with a master link. Yamaha used to back in the XS650 days but engine revs were low back then and I don't think they do anymore either.

Comment

I'd swap the engine at this point.

Buy this... http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...511080116.html if you can, use the engine, part out the rest.

If you can...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                    X