Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Securing/locking a bike in Manhattan (ie:bike thieves haven)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain and disk lock a must ,but if your really worried try this. buy an extra set of fairings,the shittier they are the better,spray paint them a flat black, gray whatever,duct tape some stray wire to the inside of the fairings to make it look like a total piece of shit.Take a hammer blow a hole or two in the fairings add some scratches and your good to go. Then on friday put your origional fairings on.Ive seen people do this.Shitty on the outside baddass on the inside. If you dont mind riding a rat during the week and a looker on the weekend it will help..

Comment

Follow up:
      I got a Xena rotor/disc brake lock, with integrated alarm (mostly to keep me from riding off with it on).

I also got a noose chain (you can loop one end making it effectively longer). I have yet to get a good padlock for the noose chain.

This noose chain is 4'3" and I'm gona have to park right up next to something to use it. I dunno how I'm gona park on a city street and get it around a pole. Might -have- to use the back tire. I'd like to use the frame on the side, but probably only be able to do it when I car park right next to a pole. You think the frame right by the rear foot peg is a safe place for a chain?

Comment

On the 98-00 models, the best place would be through the metal for the rear footpegs (which are welded in place; starting in the '01 model, they become bolt-ons instead), then around the swingarm. Either that, or get an addition welded on the swingarm itself to lock to.

Good Luck!

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMike View Post
          I'm new to bikes but I've heard about the vans that rove around NYC grabbing motorcycles and bikes from all over. I'm sure they have cutters and other evil tools of the trade. Where I live/park is safe in NJ but I plan on riding to the city once it warms up. Here come the questions:

brake rotor lock: Worth it? Worth spending extra to get one with an alarm so I dont forget about it and try to ride off with it on?

chains: Are the extreme chains (like Kryptonite Fuggetaboutit) worth the extra money? Do you put the chain through the frame or is a tire good enough?

cover with lock: this sounds like a great idea but #1 its illegal in NYC to cover your bike on a public street, do I need to worry about it getting towed? #2 its a pain to carry. Whats everyone do wear a knapsack with a big *** chain and cover in it or is there such a thing as a cover that fits under the seat?

Anything else worth thinking about?
          lo jack would be worth thinking about, the bike i just bought has came with it. i was reading threw the book and it looks like NYC police are set up with lo jack. its 1000 to put in. if you dont know what it is you can google it, but basically its a tiny transmitter hidden away in the bike somewhere. if your bike is stolen the transmitter is activated from a radio antenna then any cop equipped with the lo jack receiver will be able to zero in on it from about 2 miles give or take. even if its in a van, or a brick building! after it is installed there is no monthly fee. it just worry free. lo jack claims a 90 percent recovery rate.

the only downside to lo jack is it is not a deterrent in anyway. the people that steal the bike would have no idea it is equipped with lo jack otherwise it would defeat the point. so when a theif looks at your bike he just sees a nice easy target.
          99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
          06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
          06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
          lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
            lo jack would be worth thinking about, the bike i just bought has came with it. i was reading threw the book and it looks like NYC police are set up with lo jack. its 1000 to put in. if you dont know what it is you can google it, but basically its a tiny transmitter hidden away in the bike somewhere. if your bike is stolen the transmitter is activated from a radio antenna then any cop equipped with the lo jack receiver will be able to zero in on it from about 2 miles give or take. even if its in a van, or a brick building! after it is installed there is no monthly fee. it just worry free. lo jack claims a 90 percent recovery rate.
            Since the original poster started this thread three years ago, things in the industry have changed a lot. There are now very small GPS units (3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4") you can buy & install yourself that will give you reporting on demand via the web, as well as notify you via cell/pager/text-mssg/email that your bike has been moved outside a specific perimeter. These are far cheaper than LoJack, both in the buy-in and in the on-going cost (last time I looked, LoJak still charges annual or bi-annual fees), plus they work on-demand or constantly without any police-intervention requirement. Based on the theft of my own bike almost 2 years ago, I know now that I would have had much better success recovering it if I had been able to steer the cops directly to it instead of waiting for them to potentially track it down (took over a week for the paperwork to go from the street cop's report to coming out of the auto-theft division's in-box -- but the street cops would have been happy to go clobber down someone if I had been able to say "It's here.").

There are even super-cheap ways of doing it temporarily if needed via certain pre-pay cell phones with GPS combined the use of a (free) website that can interact with the data in the phone to tell you the same thing. It's dirt cheap as a buy-in (something like $45 for the phone and the first month's pre-pay, then $30 a month after that for the phone).

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
            the only downside to lo jack is it is not a deterrent in anyway. the people that steal the bike would have no idea it is equipped with lo jack otherwise it would defeat the point. so when a theif looks at your bike he just sees a nice easy target.
            Unfortunately, I disagree about that being the only down-side. It still requires police to have the triggering equipment and receiver (yes, NPD does, but how many units are at your precinct and what's the typical lag-time between reporting a theft and getting an officer trained to use the system at your door with the hardware?). Hope the bike is still in range when they start searching, and not inside a metal shipping container bound for elsewhere.

You in particular have the advantage right now -- the hardware+install fee was already paid on your system. I am curious about what they're apt to charge you to keep it (please do post it up!).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              Since the original poster started this thread three years ago, things in the industry have changed a lot. There are now very small GPS units (3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4") you can buy & install yourself that will give you reporting on demand via the web, as well as notify you via cell/pager/text-mssg/email that your bike has been moved outside a specific perimeter. These are far cheaper than LoJack, both in the buy-in and in the on-going cost (last time I looked, LoJak still charges annual or bi-annual fees), plus they work on-demand or constantly without any police-intervention requirement. Based on the theft of my own bike almost 2 years ago, I know now that I would have had much better success recovering it if I had been able to steer the cops directly to it instead of waiting for them to potentially track it down (took over a week for the paperwork to go from the street cop's report to coming out of the auto-theft division's in-box -- but the street cops would have been happy to go clobber down someone if I had been able to say "It's here.").

There are even super-cheap ways of doing it temporarily if needed via certain pre-pay cell phones with GPS combined the use of a (free) website that can interact with the data in the phone to tell you the same thing. It's dirt cheap as a buy-in (something like $45 for the phone and the first month's pre-pay, then $30 a month after that for the phone).

Unfortunately, I disagree about that being the only down-side. It still requires police to have the triggering equipment and receiver (yes, NPD does, but how many units are at your precinct and what's the typical lag-time between reporting a theft and getting an officer trained to use the system at your door with the hardware?). Hope the bike is still in range when they start searching, and not inside a metal shipping container bound for elsewhere.

You in particular have the advantage right now -- the hardware+install fee was already paid on your system. I am curious about what they're apt to charge you to keep it (please do post it up!).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              CRAP! i do that all the time, post on a thread that has been dead and long buried! i will start a new thread when i get everything going with it. it wont be til oct. sometime because ill be in leaving for MO next week and my boss (the seller of the bike) and i having conflicting schedules right now. he did think there was a fee for the transfer of name but he wasnt sure. also something i found interesting is the transmitter isnt transferable from one vehicle to another. lo jack also has the text/phone/ect alert if it your vehicle is moved with out a sensor, that is on your key ring, is near by. it is called lo-jack early warning. here are a few quotes though from wiki (which i know isnt god, but still a failry reliable source)

"LoJack installs special police tracking computers (PTCs) in law enforcement vehicles, helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft. The PTCs coverage capability ranges from 12-20 square miles (ground) to 75-120 miles (aircraft). The company's software and databases are directly integrated into each state's crime computers, providing a connection to law enforcement." it says the cars can detect it 2-3 miles even if its in dense areas or in a garge, and the range that the quote gives for aircraft is a very large area, i would assume any major city would have this in an aircraft (atleast in the 28 states lo jack operates in)
              "The suggested retail price for the flagship system is $695, but it has no monthly fee" -like i said i havnt transfered anything yet, but when i do i will put up a thread and confirm everything. i would assume (maybe) though the early warning system would maybe have a monthly fee, as it says thats the upgraded version. i will also let you guys know about that, because it is something i would like to have, cause like you said. if you dont realize its stolen police cant look for it, and if it gets to a chop shop then its hopeless

so, since its been 3 years lol, did the original posters bike make it ok in the city
              99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
              06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
              06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
              lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

And the post lives on. I think when he made this thread I was still in high school, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboMike View Post
                  I'm new to bikes but I've heard about the vans that rove around NYC grabbing motorcycles and bikes from all over. I'm sure they have cutters and other evil tools of the trade. Where I live/park is safe in NJ but I plan on riding to the city once it warms up. Here come the questions:

brake rotor lock: Worth it? Worth spending extra to get one with an alarm so I dont forget about it and try to ride off with it on?

chains: Are the extreme chains (like Kryptonite Fuggetaboutit) worth the extra money? Do you put the chain through the frame or is a tire good enough?

cover with lock: this sounds like a great idea but #1 its illegal in NYC to cover your bike on a public street, do I need to worry about it getting towed? #2 its a pain to carry. Whats everyone do wear a knapsack with a big *** chain and cover in it or is there such a thing as a cover that fits under the seat?

Anything else worth thinking about?
                  A battery powered 4.5" grinder will cut thru anything in a few seconds.

Really loud alarm with long range rf transmitter would be best.

Disc lock cant hurt. Althoe I've hurt myself when I forget its on.

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                  And the post lives on. I think when he made this thread I was still in high school, lol.
                  Doe!
                  Last edited by GSXfs600; 09-18-2009, 09:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                  X