X

Broken lifter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken lifter

I just picked up an 89 750 for a good deal. It had dark coloring in the intake runner of #2 cylinder and the carb had some melted pieces. I pulled off the rocker cover and it's exhaust rocker was snapped in half. Not opening the exhaust valve causes the bike to use to carb as the exhaust system. Probably not the fuel mileage you would hope for. It's amazing the thing didn't burn to the ground. Anyway I have access to a set of rocker arms from a 600 and was wondering if anyone knows if they will fit. They look the same but I checked part numbers on Bikebandit and they are not the same (1043535 to 1043531) I know that should be the end but I'm stubborn and was wondering if anyone has tried it.

So you've proven that it's a different part, but you're asking if it's the same?

Comment

I was just wondering how it's different. It could be a desired difference like opening the valves a couple extra thousandths. If anyone has used them and they work I would be willing to try.

Comment

88-89 are different from to others, engine wise, ? You have 2 options buy it and match it up or buy the correct one. Fyi- you need to have the valve trane balanced, the possibility of other issues related to the rocker failure is very possible, like blown head gasket, bent valve.....
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The 600 is actually all kinds of weird at all kinds of random intervals. The 88-91 600 is tappet screw valve adjustments. The 92-97 a tappet shims. The 98-06 is screws. The spark plug diameter is different 88-95 and 96-06. It really makes very little logical sense. As far as the part the OP needs, Spend the money and buy the right part. If you try to dick around piecing stuff together, you end up getting nickle and dime to death.

Comment

It's the KR way
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              It's the KR way
              I'm aware of the dumbassness that occurs here. Along with massive cheapassness. Which often leads to dumbassness.

Comment

Or visa versa
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Got it. I'll just buy new. Thanks didn't even think to check the valves. Hopefully there's no other damage. I guess I'll do some more disassembly before I order parts. I wonder what this bike went through with the PO.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana quad View Post
                    I wonder what this bike went through with the PO.
                    Assume hell and go from there.

Really, assume the worst. As in 0 maintenance done, and it was down at least once. If you buy a used bike, you should basically do everything possible to it maintenance wise - the PO might have done it...but unless you have documentation to back it up, just assume they didn't. You'll probably be right.
                    As far as assuming it went down, that leads you to check the bike out more thoroughly looking for damage/Fd up/halfassed repair jobs. Better to discover these types of things early on and correct them than have the bike leave you stranded somewhere miles from home later on down the road.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                      Assume hell and go from there.

just assume they didn't. You'll probably be right.
                      Words to live by.
                      - Purplehaze
                      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Agreed. If you have a broken lifter, I would consider the possibilities of the cause for such damage. I'd suggest you have the head removed and inspect the piston/cylinder, valves, and such to make sure the damage was not from a physical over rev that forced a piston into a valve.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          I'm aware of the dumbassness that occurs here. Along with massive cheapassness. Which often leads to dumbassness.

CraftAssness... often leads to feelings of RepaiRemorseness
                          You know your a KatRider when you sell a nearly new perfectly running low miles bike... and buy a 13 year old non running Katana.

Comment

Ok. So after disassembling the head, I ended up putting in all 4 exhaust lifters, a exhaust cam, one of the lifter shafts and the new cam bearing caps. The pistons, valves, and intake side stuff all checked out good. As was the timing chain, idler, and tensioner. Motor is all back together and I'm just waiting on more carb parts to come in so I can hear this kitten purr. The old exhaust cam looks like somebody took a grinder to it and made some flat spots. I guess the lifter didn't like the uneven terrain and decided to break in half. Thankfully all the pieces stayed in the recesses in the head.

Comment

The most motorcycles don't have lifters, rocker arm would work or cam follower.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X