X

Considering a pre with GSXR 1100 engine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a pre with GSXR 1100 engine

Hello all! I currently ride a post Kat 600 basically all stock. I found in my area, a 1994 katana with a GSXR 1100 engine swapped in. The bike also has some sort of USD forks swapped which I'm not sure the owner is aware of because its not mentioned in the ad. The bike is pretty rough but seems to be all there and is supposed to be ridable. The seller wants 1200 for it.

My thoughts are, to pick up this pre and swap the engine and forks to my post and put my engine and forks on this pre. Get both bikes running and road worthy, probably put a coat of paint on the pre and try to sell it with riding season coming up. My question is, would this be worth it? I feel like if I painted it and made it look nice with my 600 engine in it that I could probably sell it for around what I paid for it. Does this seem feasible? Has anyone done the gsxr 1100 swap? Is it worth while?

I'm assuming that's an older gixr motor yeah? Cause at se point they switched to liquid cooled. If you know what year the motor is someone will be more likely to know if it's doable. There's a few wiring harness things that you'll have to deal with if you put your post into a pre but I seem to remember people doing it. There's a sticky on engine swaps, has all sorts of good info on what works and what you'll have to take into consideration.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

So after a little work you are going to end up with a good fast bike with decent forks & brakes & then you money back as well

I say as long as the 1100 engine is good & you are comfortable doing the work go for it no brainer really

Edit .... easy enough to find out what year 11 engine it is
      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Some finer details such as speedo pickup, wiring harness, alternator gear swap (maybe), + other things that will pop up that could come into play. Just adding from my experience that unless you have adequate time to dedicate it could leave you bike-less longer than you'd like.

If it were me... I'd probably keep my post-600 Kat in mostly stock possibly pristine condition and just work on the pre. Still have a solid bike to ride whenever you want, and another pet in garage to play and tweak with as you see fit.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

Im a rider i hate to tinker to much anymore , love to ride , not a endless money pit made over

Comment

I love to ride as well, but I also like to tinker and to have that unique bike. I'm gonna try to look at the bike this week and if it runs well and drives out ok, I'm probably gonna pick it up and give it a go. The wiring harness doesn't really bother me, also this bike probably already has the post kat pickup because of the swapped forks. I really just need to see the bike in person before I make a decision. I'll let you all know what I think after I check it out. If it goes well be looking for a build thread.

As much as I would like to have both bikes as well, I just don't feasibly have the room for them. And it would be nice to sell the other bike afterwards to help recoup some of the money.
            Last edited by idratherbeoutback; 02-05-2014, 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
            X