Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kotm

Will they ever bring back the kotm ????
    "Oh I will tag you back !!"

it would definitely be cool. Granted we dont have nearly as many active members but it would still be cool
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by Major Voltron View Post
      Will they ever bring back the kotm ????
      Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
      it would definitely be cool. Granted we dont have nearly as many active members but it would still be cool

Speaking only as a long time member with no pull to make it happen or not, and discussing this with the powers that be who used to "run" the KOTM....

Probably not going to happen. The reasons discussed then were several in addition to... but 2 particular things were; participation and quality of submissions became an issue. If you only have 2-3 submissions a month and they are the same submissions every month, and you can only win once... well... 3 months later every one has won no matter the quality of the work/bike.

Kinda pointless then isn't it?

So before it became a joke contest, it was reduced in frequency of winners to quarterly. Unfortunately participation quantity and quality didn't get better, the same results were going to be eventual of anyone who entered would be a winner just over a longer time, so eventually it was ended.

As I understood it; KOTM was meant as a way for special bikes to get recognition. Bikes that were more than just cleaned up stock bikes, or something more special than "look at my after market bolt on couple of parts, aint it special..."; well, no not really. Anyone can bolt those on. Anyone can paint a single color and wash the bike. That's no so much special, sorry. So when the majority of bikes being submitted for KOTM or KOTQ, or KOTY became stock or mostly OEM bikes with a Yoshi exhaust after a wash... it was time to end it.

Speaking personally for myself... I've done a lot of mods to my bike. Eventually I would have liked to submit it if the contest was ongoing, but... it's still far far from being there because I've yet to start working on "pretty". Yeah, it's got all sorts of neat things I've done to it, but it looks like a battered child of a drunken sadist atm visually. To me, KOTM should be the whole package. Not just a few mods, or a couple of changes... but really amazing and something that you would find commented on in a magazine or higher quality.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I don't think that we will be bringing back KOTM any time soon. It was a great contest and we had a lot of fun with it, but there are a lot of factors that go into having the contest. Unfortunately the biggest piece is the member who helped us run this, and produced all the trophies passed away over the previous summer.

I'm open to putting together some other types of contests if we can get enough people interested again, but KOTM is going to stay on hiatus for the time being.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Krey, that's what I figured with not enough members...especially since several of our active members have picked up different bikes.

Steves, sorry to hear about the loss of a member. Can I ask who it was?

I wasn't aware the winners were actually awarded prizes. I assumed it was just special recognition. On that note, what if we were to do something different than kotm. Something a little less grandiose. No award (not a physical award anyway) and not even call it kotm so that we arent degrading the previous winners and leaving the kotm with the memory of what it was. I dont have an exact idea yet but I think it would be cool to have something going.

Comment

We had also opened it up to a BOTM contest for a few months, but we were really just seeing stock bikes with stickers. Not really "modified" bikes with lots of work behind them.

Initially the KOTM had no prize other than the recognition... and it turned into a troll fest. It went on hiatus for a while, and then was brought back with trophies, and then plaques (check out some of the KOTM winnders from 2010).

The person who helped us with these was Breeze.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Speaking personally for myself... I've done a lot of mods to my bike. Eventually I would have liked to submit it if the contest was ongoing, but... it's still far far from being there because I've yet to start working on "pretty". Yeah, it's got all sorts of neat things I've done to it, but it looks like a battered child of a drunken sadist atm visually. To me, KOTM should be the whole package. Not just a few mods, or a couple of changes... but really amazing and something that you would find commented on in a magazine or higher quality.

Krey
              I have put a great amount of effort and money into my bike but, idon't think it would be worthy of any awards. I agree that most "look at me" threads are nothing but Ill conceived ideas or dressed up stockers. there are some good bikes but, great bikes are few and far between. Maybe a special recognition award for those exceptional bikes.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-21-2014, 10:05 AM.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I think a mileage contest would be cool or like a katana scavenger hunt ..

Comment

Scavenger hunt has also been done. That was a good one.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Darn i gotta put the mind to work on that one...

Comment

Could do a picture challenge type of game.

Your bike in front of a *?*, then whoever grabs that challenge get to pic the next one.

Have several of these running on PNWRiders, fun way to have a reason to go find stuff.

Something like this: http://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk...ture-game.html

Comment

Being old enough to remember when bike shows at rallies were judged by a couple of organisers wandering round the rally site & picking the best there for a prize, usually much to the owners surprise, it occurs to me that the mods on here could have a virtual wander round this site & award a prize to whatever bike or post they think worthy

If nothin else it stops the post whores putting the same bike up for recognition time & time again as theres nothing to enter & any prize should then be given purely on merit
                        Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

like supporting member award? For a helpful post, write up, mod etc?

Or even like a best picture thread or like skjeflo said a picture challenge. This is just something we should have either way lol

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                            like supporting member award? For a helpful post, write up, mod etc?
                            yes thats exactly what i had in mind
                            Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                              Could do a picture challenge type of game.

Your bike in front of a *?*, then whoever grabs that challenge get to pic the next one.

Have several of these running on PNWRiders, fun way to have a reason to go find stuff.

Something like this: http://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk...ture-game.html
                              I hadn't noticed these on PNW before. I like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X