X

Locked the front brake on Interstate 4

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked the front brake on Interstate 4

Yesterday on the way to work there was a State Trooper on the right shoulder. He had someone pulled over with his lights flashing. We have a "move over or slow down" law if you are in the adjacent lane. I was in the middle lane (they call that the crush lane!) and a big rig was in the right lane just ahead and beside me. I figured he was going to move over on me. In front of me was a whit F-150 and I had a safe distance. So I am watching the rig and he does NOT change lanes OR slow down as he passes the trooper. Instead, the F-150 in front of me locks his brakes because the car in front of the rig cut him off. I pulled the clutch and squeezed the front and rear brakes at the same time and felt the front started to slither around so I let off slightly and got back on again. I got stopped no problems and still had a good 15 feet to the truck. I didn't know the Kat could lock the front at 70mph!

Whew. Lucked out this time.

Sounds like you grabbed the brake full force, and too fast. If you squeeze good, and then keep upping the pressure, you should be able to get the rear tire off the ground. It's not desirable, but you can.

Also, remember that the more you use the front brake, the less the rear brake can do. That's why it's good to practice emergency braking in a parking lot occasionally.

Comment

I certainly hope you were wearing the brown underwear that day . Glad you made it out of that situation unscathed.
      1990 GSXF 1100
      2011 KLR 650

Comment

I did a stoppie on my 04
        Was behind a Astro van and we both went around a parked landscaper in the left lane of a one way street
        Just after the landscaper he stopped to back into his driveway
        Was not the desired way to get it shut down just happened
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
        X