No announcement yet.
X

AnYbody used Duplicolor spray before ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnYbody used Duplicolor spray before ?

Hello once again. so i have a 00 Kat matte black "Plasti dip" with bright purple leds on it . my handle bars are chrome purple. i was today at autozone looking for a air freshner for my car when i stumbled on the paint isle ... when it hit me "What if i did my rims purple!" so i saw this paint called "Duplicolor Metal cast in chrome purple" i could not believe it. but i asked couple of people there what they thought about the product they told me its a very popular and durable paint. so my question is .... Do yall think it will look good ? and if so how do i go by painting them ?

I have used the red, it scratches off and is very easy to damage with chemicals, use clear over it.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

:/ so you wouldnt recomend it ? a buddy told me to sand rim and use a undercoat then give it 4 layers of paint then hit it with clear at end. but i dunno thats why i was looking for some advise.

Comment

I did some car rims with the duplicolor wheel paint and it worked great and hasn't chipped at all. I would advise some 400 grit sanding then clean with something to remove all grease/oil before painting. I didn't do the clear and it's fine.

Comment

I just plasti dipped my fairings matte black, about to put it all back together after work.

How is it holding up for you? How long have you had it?
          - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

This is the paint that looks like anodize? You could use it but, use a wheel clear over it.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

@muffinman- Maybe i will go ahead and do them . but now a buddy of mine just told me theres a shop that has a special going next month $50 for powder coating and it looks candy. so im aiming towards that too lol
              @Rottenpixies- well its been on there for a yr now. i will say that in the begining i did 4 layers and it would chip every week not alot but you notice it. after that i did 5 more layers ... so total of 9 layers. and that things holds up real good. post some pics or your bike with plastidip
              @92xjunker- I dont know if thats the same paint but it seems to be heat resistant and has a high gloss so im guessing its either chrome or candy like.

Comment

Powder coat is definitely better than any paint but you have to take a lot of things apart to do it. IMO It's usually best to do when you're planning on a new set of tires.

Comment

@muffinman- ahh ok well then in that case ill go for the paint for now because i just got new rubber lol . either way by that time ill have enough money to actually do a nice powder coating on it . thank man

Comment

I have painted many parts of bikes using the Duplicolor paint. Holds up well, I do advise using their clear over it. If you get orange peel, go straight to buffing and skip sanding on the single stage clears.

If it will see gasoline, as in on the tank, I strongly suggest a two stage clear over it. The single stage clear will peal (and the paint will go with it) like a banana when it is hit with gas or the like. Yeah, experience talking here. nothing like seeing hours and hours of spraying sanding and final coats go away in a moment!
                    Last edited by dgxser; 06-22-2013, 10:45 PM.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!!

Current rides
                    1993 Suzuki Katana 600
                    1981 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Comment

Here's a couple shots of my fairings the day after I did about 7+8 coats of plasti dip on both.

Finishing the mesh mod tonight then I'll have pics of the actual bike.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt using TapaTalk
                      Attached Files
                      - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

I did the entire bike with duplicolor cans. Product was easy to put on without dripping. I used a 2ct clear coat to protect it from things like gas, knees rubbing against the tank, stone-chipping... It holds up really good so far.
                        Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

@Dgxser - dude thank for advise bro ill deff. do that for sure !
                          @Rottenpixies - Bro that looks AWSOME ! Great job man ! im sure it will hold up ... i was talking to a buddy about plasti dip, he said that he hit his help with plasti dip and did a non gloss clear coat on it, he didnt mention the name of it but that it looks the same "Matte black" and it is super tough. i was thinking bout doing it too but i need to do more research lol .
                          @Erres - hey bro you happen to have any pics of it ? i would love to see how it looks after its dry.

Comment

Working...
                          X