X

I'm an idiot... :)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an idiot... :)

SO! I just finished my streetfighter project, and got her out on the road.. took a ride, first two minutes, she ran fabulously... then.. bucking.. surging.. stumbling, stalling, choking out, no idling ability..

I JUST dipped the carbs... cleaned them like a madman.. jetted... and perfectly synced them.. just checked all hoses, etc etc... I was driving myself mad, so i figured... eh.. wonder if that fuel filter is plugged up! so i took it off.. and sure enough, it was grimy - but still allowed flow.. THEN i remembered reading on this forum that Pre-kats weren't supposed to have fuel filters.. (it was only on one side? it seems you can never buy something without the PO doing something odd..)

Well... I took it off... and put the line back on, still acting f'd up. Drove myself mad some more pulling apart my carbs yet again..

well.. put it back together.. and realized... my fuel lines were pinched and kinked in when i put the tank on it because they were routed goofy.. I felt like the biggest moron ever. i mean, simplest thing ever.. just a bit kinked.. gahhh.

anyone else ever do something this dumb while trying to figure out why your bike wouldn't run to make me feel any better, or am i really that bad, hahaha.

(by the way - Thanks everyone on this forum for all the advice i've read over whilst working on this bike, it's way more in-depth to work on than my 636 was - especially Arsenic, his info on carbs is amazing. thanks mate)
    Last edited by Stryder917; 06-16-2013, 12:11 AM. Reason: wrote Arsonist instead of arsenic... :)

Originally posted by Stryder917 View Post

(by the way - Thanks everyone on this forum for all the advice i've read over whilst working on this bike, it's way more in-depth to work on than my 636 was - especially Arsonist, his info on carbs is amazing. thanks mate)
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

When I first got the bike and had been working on it a few weeks, because it didn't run consistently enough to ride it yet, I finally got to the point where I could take it for a test ride. Now the previous owner told me the kickstand had a kill switch but over those few weeks i forgot. Start it up, sit on it, check mirrors, ground for drips, turn signals, kick it into first..dead. WTF!! I literally did this 5 times or more, cussing, kicking the wheels etc, pushed it back in the garage looked it over, started up fine, looking for anything....then it clicks in my head, I think I left the kickstand down. Start it up, sit on it, kickstand up, shift into first, roll on out, and shake my head in disbelief, and I apologized to the bike.

My previous owner also put fuel filters in, along with many other terrible things. Took those filters out and man it was like i breathed new life into the bike.

Comment

Yeah, on a Ducati Monster. They have tanks that rotate back on the rear bolt. They'll run with the tank back(Ducati bikes need to be worked on so much they had to design a tank that has tool-less removal) but in order for that to work the fuel line is about a foot longer than it would have to be on a fixed tank. This means when you set the tank back down there is an extra 12 inches of soft rubber line that can get kinked in half a dozen different places. I remedied this by putting a hose clamp half way down the line so it can't kink.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
          lmao i idiot-ed again. I meant Arsenic - i had fire on the brain i guess!

and ohhh lord about the kickstand killswitch... i think i would have gone off the deep end if that happened to me :P

Comment

Working...
          X