Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Please help! Advice needed from experienced Kat riders!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! Advice needed from experienced Kat riders!

Okay so my used 95 Katana with a swapped 06 engine in it was running fine and after taking it to my buddys house it suddenly wouldn't start! This wasn't an issue with choke, priming, or any of that, the starter would not even try to pull when started. Had to push start it to get it home! The light would also turn off when the switch was depressed.

I figured the wire was exposed and ground somewhere and the bike has a whole mess of disconnected and connected wires from the engine swap. I blew a fuse when looking for the problem and swapped it with the other in the fuse box.

1. Is the second fuse in the box supposed to be a spare? It doesnt seem to do anything when removed.

The fuse swap made the dash and stuff turn back on (It all turned off when the fuse blew), but the ignition still wont do a thing.

I'm going to take it to a mechanic and have them rewire it (Unless anyone has any other ideas, it was working fine right beforehand but it did sit in some heavy rain.)

My main reason for making this thread is because while at the shop i'd like to get anything necessary or helpful done whilst there. The carbs have already supposedly been cleaned and synced and the wheels are fine. I was thinking...
    Battery
    Oil filter (Or is it air filter? Shall i change both?)
    Oil (I'll do some research on my own, but suggestions would be appreciated)

^ That's all I really could think of but i'm not motorcycle inclined, what else would you suggest while they're in there? Brake lines?

I am also going to repair the fairing damage and repaint the thing while they do the insides. Any and all suggestions are appreciated greatly!
    If you know where to get a full bolt kit please let me know. Or a place for new Katana or Gsxr stickers.
    I appreciate the help

Please help! Advice needed from experienced Kat riders!

Okay so my used 95 Katana with a swapped 06 engine in it was running fine and after taking it to my buddys house it suddenly wouldn't start! This wasn't an issue with choke, priming, or any of that, the starter would not even try to pull when started. Had to push start it to get it home! The light would also turn off when the switch was depressed.

I figured the wire was exposed and ground somewhere and the bike has a whole mess of disconnected and connected wires from the engine swap. I blew a fuse when looking for the problem and swapped it with the other in the fuse box.

1. Is the second fuse in the box supposed to be a spare? It doesnt seem to do anything when removed.

The fuse swap made the dash and stuff turn back on (It all turned off when the fuse blew), but the ignition still wont do a thing.

I'm going to take it to a mechanic and have them rewire it (Unless anyone has any other ideas, it was working fine right beforehand but it did sit in some heavy rain.)

My main reason for making this thread is because while at the shop i'd like to get anything necessary or helpful done whilst there. The carbs have already supposedly been cleaned and synced and the wheels are fine. I was thinking...
    Battery
    Oil filter (Or is it air filter? Shall i change both?)
    Oil (I'll do some research on my own, but suggestions would be appreciated)

^ That's all I really could think of but i'm not motorcycle inclined, what else would you suggest while they're in there? Brake lines?

I am also going to repair the fairing damage and repaint the thing while they do the insides. Any and all suggestions are appreciated greatly!
    If you know where to get a full bolt kit please let me know. Or a place for new Katana or Gsxr stickers.
    I appreciate the help

Also if anyone knows a website that would serve as a 'one stop shop' so to speak that'd be great. I want to order the OEM air filter, good oil, and whatever else i may need and i'd rather not pay for more shipping than i have too. I just ordered gear as well!
    Last edited by Psychonaut; 06-05-2013, 07:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

There is a spare 30A fuse by the main fuse. There are usually one or two other spares in the fuse panel.

And ya don't need two threads.
      Last edited by steves; 06-05-2013, 07:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The answer to your electrical problems depends on which wiring harness they used for the motor swap.

The easy way, and my preferred way, would be to use the carbs and harness and alternator off the 95. That way everything plugs up and there are no problems.

If they used the 06 harness, there would have been many alterations to the harness to make everything work.

So the wiring troubleshooting would be dependent on which harness was used (different diagrams and set up for each) and what modifications were made to that harness. It's almost impossible to advise with out knowing this.

As far as other maintenance. Oil change with filter is always a good idea. Brake fluid flush and refill is good too. If you don't have braided steel brake lines, have them check the old ones to make sure they are not degraded. Of course brake pads are a good thing to check as well. Make sure you cables (throttle, clutch, choke) are oiled and good working order. And chain and sprockets. If you don't know how old they are you will want to keep and eye on theme for wear/replacement.
        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I'm sure he used the 06 harness as he told me it has the newer cables that could be hooked to a new dashboard. There's a lot of electrical tape/alterations to the wiring. There are a few disconnected plugs and such, but they were there before i had any problems. My buddys dad who looked at it seems to think its a wire in the main line from the ignition where you put the key in. Though, i'd need to remove the tank to get a look at it and i JUST filled up. Do you recommend i have the shop do the work or try and figure it out myself and learn a bit?

Will having a Dynojet kit on it effect the air/oil filter i should get?

I feel like i got in a little over my head with this bike and i was going to try and learn on it and then sell it for what i paid but now i'm considering just making the best of it and fixing it up if i have to do all this work anyhow.
          Last edited by Psychonaut; 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM.

Comment

My advise? Take it to someone from this forum that knows Kats, hopefully someone with experience with both pre and post Kats since you seem to have an aborted amalgamation of the 2. A general motorcycle mechanic is not going to have the detailled and specific knowledge of the bike to get this one back to safe in a reasonable and cost effective manner.
            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

My advice...

Take all the fairings off the bike. Set the tank to the side.

Takes lots of pictures of your bike over all, close ups of the harness and various connections, headlights, bar pods, turn signals, so on... Take good clear pictures of it all.

Then... Post a few, let us narrow down what has been changed, and what is from that model of bike.

By doing this, and documenting what you have on the bike... we can then help narrow down the simplest way to fix the issue.

If... you have all the old connections, handle bar pods, and so on are in all original shape, and they jsut spliced the new harness in after those... it's a simple fix.

If they cut all the connectors off and spliced things together, it's a little more difficult to fix.

Ultimately, Badfaerie is right... we can't really help with out knowing what you got. And you don't know enough to verify that. So... pics, and lots of them.

Might help to focus on one section/ a few connections at a time.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'll do as you said when I get the time and i'll get some good pictures. I know its the 06 harness and he swapped out the hand controls with modern ones as well.

"Picked up a 2006 600 with all the wiring and cables and 14k miles. Also picked up the 2006 handlebars with the newer style switches and air box"

Here's his build thread if it helps
                This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

Comment

I am not familiar with the gauge set-up for an 06, what light turns off?

As for the not starting. I personally would be overhauling that wiring harness to either remove unused wires or replacing it with a more appropriate harness(I have never performed a motor swap between two different engines of any kat so I have no idea what harness that might be). But before I did that I would run down the no-crank issue. My trouble shooting steps would go like this. (Please keep in mind IDK the wiring harness you have).

1. Check power to the starter relay when the start switch is depressed.
                  a.Good-Check relay ground
                  b.Bad-continue to step 2.
                  2. Test for power to start switch
                  3. Test start switch (Is there continuity when it is depressed)
                  a.No-faulty start switch
                  b.Yes-continue
                  4. Test for power to clutch switch (with start button depressed)
                  5. Test clutch switch for continuity (with lever pulled)
                  a. No-Faulty clutch switch
                  b. Yes-continue
                  6. Check grounds and ground wires

Just remember I have no clue what your wiring diagram looks like at the moment. There is a manual in the wiki that I believe has the wiring diagram but I can't download it to a work computer on my lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkeife View Post
                    I am not familiar with the gauge set-up for an 06, what light turns off?

As for the not starting. I personally would be overhauling that wiring harness to either remove unused wires or replacing it with a more appropriate harness(I have never performed a motor swap between two different engines of any kat so I have no idea what harness that might be). But before I did that I would run down the no-crank issue. My trouble shooting steps would go like this. (Please keep in mind IDK the wiring harness you have).

1. Check power to the starter relay when the start switch is depressed.
                    a.Good-Check relay ground
                    b.Bad-continue to step 2.
                    2. Test for power to start switch
                    3. Test start switch (Is there continuity when it is depressed)
                    a.No-faulty start switch
                    b.Yes-continue
                    4. Test for power to clutch switch (with start button depressed)
                    5. Test clutch switch for continuity (with lever pulled)
                    a. No-Faulty clutch switch
                    b. Yes-continue
                    6. Check grounds and ground wires

Just remember I have no clue what your wiring diagram looks like at the moment. There is a manual in the wiki that I believe has the wiring diagram but I can't download it to a work computer on my lunch.

The simple thing to do is keep the harness with the frame year. There is no reason you "have" to swap harness. If you do swap the harness, you run into much more issues that need to be resolved. The motor does not have any variances in electrical connections. The starter or alternator might have a difference, but you can generally use the starter and alternator for the old engine to keep that matched up.

I just did a motor swap and converted a pre frame to use the post engine, harness, pods, instrument panel, and so on. There was ALOT of adjustment and modifications that I needed to do to make that work out on the new frame. Not just for connections with the harness, but also how to mount things like the fuse box, starter solenoid, CDI, and other things... that didn't match up at all.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      The simple thing to do is keep the harness with the frame year. There is no reason you "have" to swap harness. If you do swap the harness, you run into much more issues that need to be resolved. The motor does not have any variances in electrical connections. The starter or alternator might have a difference, but you can generally use the starter and alternator for the old engine to keep that matched up.

I just did a motor swap and converted a pre frame to use the post engine, harness, pods, instrument panel, and so on. There was ALOT of adjustment and modifications that I needed to do to make that work out on the new frame. Not just for connections with the harness, but also how to mount things like the fuse box, starter solenoid, CDI, and other things... that didn't match up at all.

Krey
                      Thanks for clearing that part up for me Krey!

Comment

Wow totally forgot the run/kill switch. Test that too!

Comment

Oh Lordy! I remember that poor bike now. This is an issue that the bike had way before you got it and it was not resolved properly.

If it were my bike, I would get a pre 750 wiring harness off Ebay, or here if someone has an extra and replace all the wiring on that bike. You might need to get an ignition switch as well, depending on how he hacked that up.

I get crap for telling people to "Never sell the bike if you are going to do that!" but this is the reason why I say that. Kreylyn and I have had to undo some seriously WTF nightmares because the previous owner was too cheap, stupid or lazy to do it right.

sigpic

Comment

Sigh.. I don't even have a place to work on the bike at the moment until i get my own place. The guy assured me it would be reliable for a little while. If only there was an expert nearby I could take it to, but I hardly ever even hear people talk about Kats.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychonaut View Post
                              Sigh.. I don't even have a place to work on the bike at the moment until i get my own place. The guy assured me it would be reliable for a little while. If only there was an expert nearby I could take it to, but I hardly ever even hear people talk about Kats.
                              I would say take it to him and make him fix it, but from what he posted on here, I wouldn't want him anywhere near it anymore.

I'm sorry.

We'll walk through the troubleshooting with you if you want. You will need a multimeter and probably to take the plastics off.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X