X

making exhaust louder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making exhaust louder

What's the best way/ most efdecient? Should I cut it short, remove the baffle, or take out the fiber glass? I hear just taking out the fiber glass would make it a lil louder which is all I want but are there any adverse side effects?

Originally posted by tommydude96 View Post
    What's the best way/ most efdecient? Should I cut it short, remove the baffle, or take out the fiber glass? I hear just taking out the fiber glass would make it a lil louder which is all I want but are there any adverse side effects?

I'm assuming you have a 96 model Kat? What exhaust is on it now?

If it's OEM... you have nothing to remove. The OEM exhaust cans use metal plate baffles inside that are welded in. Improperly modifying those cans can cause problems with the exhaust and negatively effect performance.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

no kat. busa w/ kr tuned carbon fiber slip on

Comment

Buy a Harley. The only adverse effect is that you'll own a Harley.

Comment

how about for pre kats?

Comment

Keep in mind, the only real effects of making your exhaust louder are hearing damage (your hearing), annoyed neighbors and the need to richen up the mixture to compensate for reduced back-pressure. If you don't like the exhaust note then you can get an aftermarket slip-on that'll keep the volume to reasonable levels.

Next time you see a chopper in traffic, pay attention to where they are when the noise hits you. If they're coming towards you, behind you or coming from the side you'll notice that you don't hear the loud exhaust until after they pass by. If they're ahead of you you're getting blasted continuously. If you're thinking that louder pipes make you safer then think again. They're much more likely to get bikes banned from your neighborhood.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Wanna go a bit faster ? then keep it quiet - stealth is best don't draw unwanted attention to yourself.

Engelskmannen.
              Carpe Jugulum...
              1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                Keep in mind, the only real effects of making your exhaust louder are hearing damage (your hearing), annoyed neighbors and the need to richen up the mixture to compensate for reduced back-pressure. If you don't like the exhaust note then you can get an aftermarket slip-on that'll keep the volume to reasonable levels.

Next time you see a chopper in traffic, pay attention to where they are when the noise hits you. If they're coming towards you, behind you or coming from the side you'll notice that you don't hear the loud exhaust until after they pass by. If they're ahead of you you're getting blasted continuously. If you're thinking that louder pipes make you safer then think again. They're much more likely to get bikes banned from your neighborhood.
                I live in Oakland, CA. My neighboors don't give a crap haha every night there is some ultra exhaust motorcycle, 2000watt subs and car alarms going off.

I just want to be safer while riding on the freeway, since I commute 40+ miles to work everyday. I don't want a fart can or a ultra loud exhaust... Just wondering if this was a cheap alternative. Don't have the funds to jet and get an aftermarket exhaust, but I guess I could find a pair of slipons.. any recommendations?

Comment

If you think loud pipes makes you safer. Imagine what learning how to ride could do.

Comment

Keeping your headlight on high-beam during the day, wearing bright colored gear with contrasting colors and some reflective material sewn into the pattern, using your turn signals for lane changes, tapping the brakes a couple of times before stopping and placing yourself in drivers' lines of sight will do more for protecting you than the loudest pipes around.

In Cali you've got the added risk of lane-splitting. Use that judiciously. Drivers aren't looking for someone blasting up the lane markers in their blind spots when they go to change lanes so you've got to be extra careful then. Keep the speed down when you're doing it and watch for drivers who're looking for space to change lanes. LA traffic is bad enough to get around in that it's really easy to see how a driver could miss that bike coming up through traffic. You're going to have to be the one doing the looking.

Essentially, the absolute best protection you can give yourself is right between your ears. Cagers aren't really trying to kill you but they're busy with piloting a large object at speed through a maze of other large objects, all moving at different speeds and in different directions. A motorcycle is a relatively small thing and easily overlooked if you don't put yourself in a position where you break through their consciousness. Practice keeping your head on a swivel, constantly moving your eyes and trying to predict what the worst possible as well as the most likely thing is that could go wrong around you. Then take whatever steps are needed to give yourself time and space to react if those things happen.

If you haven't taken an MSF riding course then find one in your area and sign up. They cover all this pretty thoroughly and the instructors ("rider-coaches") will be highly experienced riders from your local area so they'll have some really valuable advice on the local conditions.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

www.slayerhater.com

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

From that site:
                        "Everyone realizes that the people that dress up and are loud because they are so needy for attention are you guys and sixteen year old girls." -- Eric Cartman to a group of "Slayers"

Note for anyone not familiar with Slayer Hater: It's a sarcastic humor website. Fun read for anyone who thinks that the way to enjoy a difficult road on a bike is to wait until you learn how to handle your bike before trying it and then bring a bike capable of at least a modicum of handling. (i.e. not a 3-wheeled, softly suspended chrome barge)

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I rode my ninja 250 for a good two years before I finally sold it to buy a non functioning katana. I ride pretty safely on a regular basis, my biggest fear is lane splitting during traffic hours... I also ride with reflective gears, use my signals, and brake-tap before I brake. My car commute is approx 1:30-2 hrs in traffic and approximately 50 minutes without. I just worry one day someone will sandwhich me =X

Comment

Originally posted by xredjokerx View Post
                            ...I just worry one day someone will sandwhich me =X
                            That'd be the big risk with lane splitting. Louder pipes won't help you, though since the only drivers that will hear them will be the ones behind you or stuck next to you at a light. Other than them, nobody will notice them until it's too late anyway.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                              That'd be the big risk with lane splitting. Louder pipes won't help you, though since the only drivers that will hear them will be the ones behind you or stuck next to you at a light. Other than them, nobody will notice them until it's too late anyway.
                              well, might as well save money and time and stick with stock pipes then

Comment

Working...
                              X