No announcement yet.
X

Tight turn + Sand = Severe Puckerage!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight turn + Sand = Severe Puckerage!!!

Went riding on some backroads again yesterday with the local sport bike club. Hit a decently sharp right curve in a road and leaned into it at decent speeds, only to find a shitload of sand at the apex of the curve (almost looked purposely there was so much of it and the way it was nicely lined across the road). At this point the thought of standing the bike up quickly and braking hit me. However I imagine both brakes locking up on the sand and me sliding right off into the ditch on the left side. So I decided to ride it out. I let off the throttle, made sure my fingers and foot were'nt anywhere near the brakes, and puckered like i've never puckered before. Sure enough, my back tire hits the sand and starts slipping to the left. Then my front tire shimmies to the side a bit before catching the bare asphalt coming out of the turn. A split second later my rear tire catches bare asphalt and my bike lurches back upright and into a wobble. I straighten her up and go on my merry way, scared shitless. I can tell you this, though, the only skidmarks left in that turn were not on the road .
    What the deuce!?!

Good to hear you didn't wreck, I would have ate the asphalt for sure...haha... I'm scared to start riding somewhat aggressive.... Eventually it's going to happen

Comment

Glad to hear the only thing that got messed up was your underwear, coulda been worse. I probably woulda went down too. Glad you didnt.

Jay
      2000 Kat 600 only mod is the D&D that came with it more to come soon though. Crash virginity lost 11/25/05....the rebuildin comes next HAHA

Comment

Yeah feeling that back end slide out is always a scary feeling.

Glad to hear you didn't bin it.

Everyonce and a while you hear about people purposely putting stuff down to mess up bikers. Babs and MD86 got taken out by a huge paint spill last year. There'a even a few roads up here the locals will put thier sprinkles on in the corners because they hate the bikers screaming by.
        Kyle

Comment

Ya really gotta watch that. Especially this time of year. Everytime it looks like snow/ice they cover the highways in sand and salt so until there is a really good rain, that sand just sits there waiting for unsuspecting bikers.
          2005 Aprilia RST1000
          2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
          1998 Chevy Tahoe
          www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Right choice

Q: Did you go back and sweep away (kick away?) the sand before it kills someone else?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

There's no snow in Florida, so it wasn't cause of that. Everybody else hit it and said they had a scare too. In fact, the guy immediately behind me ( I was second to last) must've had a really good scare cause he immediately turned around and went home. We didn't have anything to sweep it off or mark it with. I think I just took the turn too hot. Some others skidded a bit as well, but some said they made it though ok (I dunno if their wider tires helped them or not). I need to calm down in the turns, especially if it's my first time through them, so I can be aware of hazards such as this.
              What the deuce!?!

Comment

IMHO: any time you are going to push it through a set of curves, down a hill, over a known route, always ride that route slowly the first time through to check for oil, water, sand, obstructions & obstacles and debris. Then go back and rip through it... Just because the road was clear the day before doesn't mean it's clear now -- as you found out

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

this is a perfect example of how important lane & body position and your turn in point is. if you run deeper into the corner in the outside part of the lane the distance & the amount of time your leaned over is shorter and you will have a better view of the corner.

you shouldn't cut the throttle - you will add more weight to the front end.
                  keep your throttle steady and drop your inside shoulder. when i feel the rear step out i start to roll on the gas.

glad you saved it
                  tim

Comment

I would have to agree with CP. I know up here there are a lot of hidden dangers on our roads that could spell a wipe out. I'm not a good enough rider to traverse through some of them so I give the roads a once over before riding harder over them.
                    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Thats messed up seeing that debris there right in the middle of a turn. How did the other riders in your club fair in that turn?

Comment

did you have to change your panties? glad you didnt eat sh!t like i did

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                          Yeah feeling that back end slide out is always a scary feeling.

Glad to hear you didn't bin it.

Everyonce and a while you hear about people purposely putting stuff down to mess up bikers. Babs and MD86 got taken out by a huge paint spill last year. There'a even a few roads up here the locals will put thier sprinkles on in the corners because they hate the bikers screaming by.
                          Yeah , I STILL hate riding through the dappled shade because of that one .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

just to go along alittle w/ what the others said..it really amazing how well bikes can stay upright when the rider doesnt panic, and trust his tires and his bike to keep himself going. It's definately an Oh Shiat moment but you pulled through and you'll be a more safe and confident rider in the future becuz of it.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately the group I ride with has a one-track mind with their routes, so they don't scout a road out first and then go back and hit it. once I learn some of the roads around here better I'll be able to go out by myself and give them a once over at slower speeds then hit them again more aggressively to improve my skills. until then I guess I'll just keep them waiting longer at the next stop sign. nobody went down in the turn, although the guy behind me must've been close, cause he looked like he just got felt up by a man-ghost when we stopped at the next intersection. And to tell yall the truth, I'm not sure if I let off the throttle or not. I did mentally make sure to get away from my brakes and I probably let off the throttle, but i'm not sure.
                              What the deuce!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X