X

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this ever happened to anyone?

So I searched around but I couldn't find a post that resembled mine so here goes. (also if this does not belong here, Admins please move it where it does belong)

So on Monday I had to run a few errands and my Kat is my only way to get around. I live in the SoCal desert of Palm Springs and it was a nice 110 to 112 degree day. I did a 30 mile one way run (mostly freeway) and on the way to, I felt a little extra heat coming from the engine onto my jeans but I figured it was just the hot air being pushed through. On the way back after about 20 miles (so 50 miles ridden so far) I was doing about 70 mph, I downshifted to pass a slower moving vehicle and the bike just died on me in the middle of the freeway. I pulled over without getting hit by the several semi trucks and tried to start the bike again. It wouldn't start. I held onto the starter switch until it did start and got back on the freeway. I made it another 15 miles before it died again. I noticed that it only died when I downshifted from about 70 mph, so once I got it up and running again, I rode it another 200 miles that day at below 70 without further incidents. I also tried to re-create the problem later that evening on my way back home, but couldn't get the bike to die even downshifting from 80 mph. (though it was much cooler then)
    Now my thoughts are that is a fuel issue, combined with higher temperatures that caused the bike to not receive enough fuel (is that possible?) to the carbs. Or maybe too much fuel?
    Any thoughts or suggestion on what to look for will be much appreciated as I tore the thing apart looking for what could be the cause and I can't find anything wrong. Fuel lines are good (though old), fuel tank is clean, carbs are clean. I can't think of anything else.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!!

I would check the kickstand safety switch, if the kickstand is loose, downshifting could be enough to trigger it.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

From the looks of the bike its a post. Whats the fuel filter condition as well as the fuel line kinks
      Ride like it's your last ride
      sigpic

Comment

check your wiring had the same issue, found a connecter burnt under the tank. repaired and no issue since. I did not check to see what it went to though. also check your plug wires for loose connection
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Cali model bike?

There were a couple of threads from someone else having an issue with high heat, and it causing running issues.

Something to thing to consider...

High heat = pressure build up inside the fuel tank. It's been reported that the PAIR vent inside the tank has allowed fuel to push into the evap system, collecting inside the charcoal canister on the side of the bike.

I would check that...

Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
          on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
          or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I forgot all about that one.
            Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
            on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
            or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks a lot guys!! Much appreciated!!!

Comment

Try always keep your tank up tan 1/4 if you keep driving without so much gas in the tank and if the gasoline in USA has ethanol there is a pression in the tank and the vaccum don't function very well
                I live in Brasil that always is very hot and gasoline here has 30% of ethanol and always happen, tank arriving at res engine just turn off so open the gas cap start the bike again and go for the first gas station

Comment

So it turns out that it wasn't a gas related issue at all. After a few days of riding it to try to figure out what (if) I was doing wrong, I get to look down just before it died on me again, I saw the kickstand move down. The damn springs on the kickstand are now shot and the kickstand was lowering itself a few inches every few bumps, engage the sensor and killed the bike. I felt like a total idiot, but live and learn I guess. Waiting for my new kickstand and springs and hopefully will be rid of that problem.

Comment

You probably will just need springs - the kickstand should be fine - they are pretty hard to destroy.

(And a cigar to yngveny for being on the right track. )

Comment

Working...
                    X