Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Need help, problem with charging system.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help, problem with charging system.

I have had my 99 Kat running for a few weeks now, but it whenever I turn the engine off say at the gas station, it will turnover but not start back up unless I get a jump start from a car. I cannot take it out on the roads to ride it as I don't know if the thing will start up again if I turn it off.

The battery is new, everything else is mechanically sound but I have a feeling the battery won't charge back up once the bike is running.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kamuela

you need to get a volt meter on the and measure voltage key off, cranking, idling and at 4500rpm
    These units dont charge very fast so a low battery combined with a bunch of start stops will not really charge back up
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

He said the battery is new...maybe the stator went out. Ive been told in the past that it is a very bad idea to get a jump start from a vehicle because the voltage is too high and will blow the stator out. I could be calling it the wrong name...but i believe the stator is what recharges the batter.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurdj2585 View Post
        He said the battery is new...maybe the stator went out. Ive been told in the past that it is a very bad idea to get a jump start from a vehicle because the voltage is too high and will blow the stator out. I could be calling it the wrong name...but i believe the stator is what recharges the batter.
        as long as you are boosting from a car that is shut off you shouldnt cause any problems
        these bike have an alternator

Comment

That might have been my problem. The car was running and when I told my buddy about it he freaked out and said I could potentially fry the stator

Comment

That might have been my problem. The car was running and when I told my buddy about it he freaked out and said I could potentially fry the stator
            Kats don't have a stator....they have an alternator in them. You need to test the battery voltage with the bike running, and then at about 2500-3000 RPM and see what the voltage is. Should be around 14-14.5.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
              Kats don't have a stator
              Nice to know. Thank you

Comment

Bike has a primary fuse between the positive terminal and the entire power distribution system... That fuse should blow before a dangerous amperage can get to the alternator.

Just cause it new doesn't mean it doesn't have a crapped cell... Have you put it on an external charger? If not do so and test hte battery voltage at full after you removed the charger for a few minutes... you can usually go to any battery shop and get a load test done for free.. Will tell you if the battery has a dead cell.

Voltages from the bike running would be helpful too
                Last edited by numus; 04-06-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I put the battery on a normal charger and it is ok, and the power out reads ok, I am going to attempt to take the alternator out to test it at a local bike store, thanks for all the help gents, any other advice is really appreciated.

Also the power output was around 14-14.5 when I measured it.

Kamuela

Comment

Originally posted by Kamuela View Post
                    I put the battery on a normal charger and it is ok, and the power out reads ok, I am going to attempt to take the alternator out to test it at a local bike store, thanks for all the help gents, any other advice is really appreciated.

Also the power output was around 14-14.5 when I measured it.

Kamuela
                    Battery readin the correct voltage doesn't mean it is ok... Need to get it load tested..

Comment

like I said way up at the top
                      Voltage with no key on ?????
                      Voltage while cranking ????

if you have been charging the battery at anything more than 1amp you could easily have cooked that "new battery"

usually boosting with a running car will cause problems

most bike shops can not bench test an alternator but what do we know

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                        Battery readin the correct voltage doesn't mean it is ok... Need to get it load tested..
                        Ok no worries, load test it is. I will get that done. I attempted to get to the alternator today but couldnt see how it comes out, so decided to wait till the guy helping me is around.

Rode the bike today, it died out after about 5 minutes again then wouldnt fire.

Still wondering what it could be.

Comment

I had this same problem with my 96 cbr 600, apparently was notorious for the f3 model. For me it was the r/r or stator, whichever helps battery hold charge or charge it while riding. So it would start up and ride just fine, but 5-10 mins later would do the same thing yours is doing. When it dies and you try to start it, how many times are you able to try and fire it up before it gets super sluggish?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFetus View Post
                            I had this same problem with my 96 cbr 600, apparently was notorious for the f3 model. For me it was the r/r or stator, whichever helps battery hold charge or charge it while riding. So it would start up and ride just fine, but 5-10 mins later would do the same thing yours is doing. When it dies and you try to start it, how many times are you able to try and fire it up before it gets super sluggish?
                            I can start it a few times but each time it get less powerful, I am really trying hard to figure this out but with it being my first bike and my first time even trying to do anything remotely mechanical I am getting stuck quick. It backfired today also when it started struggling and I tried to start it again.

I am told by numerous people that it has to be the alternator but I also heard it could be the stater. I need to find out and get to work on it but I dont know where to start.

Comment

dude maybe you need to filter the info that is being given to you here as well as your buddy
                              if somebody tells you stator DING DING DING , the bike doesnt have a stator so maybe you need to look at that what people that know are telling you
                              WE are telling you how to start diagnosing it but you dont want to do the steps required

Comment

Working...
                              X