X

new to street bikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to street bikes

Sup guys? Im new into the street bike scene. ive been riding my yamaha raider up til now. I came across a 93 katana 750 this week for $400 and it only has 5,000 miles on it. The bad, its been layed over in town at lower speed and hit a truck. Bent swing arm, bent rim, brocken tail light, and a beer can size whole on the left body panel. Also been inside a shed for 10 years. Pickn it up as a toy and also so i can leave my raider parked now cuz its gettn to be a custom and jus dont want it sitting in the parking lot at work so i figured id get the katana for everyday. Im gonna do a +6 swing arm extension when i get it home. Also gonna try to sqeeze one of my old 210 raider tires in there. if not ill run a gsxr 5.5 rim and call it good. Any advice on the bike would be greatly apreciated. O yea, its a blue and green one.
    sigpicnothing is never good enough from the factory

a 180 tire is the widest tire you can put on a 5.5" rim. There are much cheaper ways to screw up a bike than extending the swing arm.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      a 180 tire is the widest tire you can put on a 5.5" rim. There are much cheaper ways to screw up a bike than extending the swing arm.
      well if i try a 210 itll have to have newer rims installed but its looking like the 5.5 rim is gonna be the route cuz its cheaper. As far as the swingarm why is it hated so much? im gonna lower the bike and one of the reason for the swingarm stretch is tire clearance. Got a buddy who is a certified welder who will extend the arm.

Comment

Originally posted by nate86 View Post
        well if i try a 210 itll have to have newer rims installed but its looking like the 5.5 rim is gonna be the route cuz its cheaper. As far as the swingarm why is it hated so much? im gonna lower the bike and one of the reason for the swingarm stretch is tire clearance. Got a buddy who is a certified welder who will extend the arm.
        210 won't fit in the swingarm dood. You don't need to stretch the swingarm for a larger tire, you need to WIDEN it. Stretched swingarms are for dragracers. All they do is make the bike handle like ***. There is a very good reason racers don't have longer swingarms.

Comment

Welcome to KR.
          Extended SA's are usually taken to negatively here due to katana's not having near enough power to need it. Also it takes away from the turning capabilities a bit.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

ive seen the part about widing the swingarm for the larger tire. it dont look too hard to do. how low can i lower the katana? Also thought bout going stock tire, rim, and swingarm cuz its cheaper that way. this is just a toy to tinker with so ima end up making a solo seat cover, gonna try to re work the whole tail light area for a cleaner look. Just looking for some insight into the katanas. If the longer swingarm kills the handling then itll just stay stock length. Just a driver so my cruiser dont get hurt at work.

Comment

Originally posted by nate86 View Post
              ive seen the part about widing the swingarm for the larger tire. it dont look too hard to do. how low can i lower the katana? Also thought bout going stock tire, rim, and swingarm cuz its cheaper that way. this is just a toy to tinker with so ima end up making a solo seat cover, gonna try to re work the whole tail light area for a cleaner look. Just looking for some insight into the katanas. If the longer swingarm kills the handling then itll just stay stock length. Just a driver so my cruiser dont get hurt at work.
              Hmmm....I see some hope for you yet! Yeah, keep the stock swinger.

Make it roadworthy and safe first, then start your mods. Whole section here just for those!

Comment

Working...
              X