X

Gas mileage issue?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas mileage issue?

I have an 03 600 Kat and I'm getting terrible gas mileage. Like today I had to switch to my reserve and wasnt even to 90 miles. This can't be right. There has to be something wrong w my carbs or maybe valve timing. Any suggestions?

There's dude on here by the name of Arsenic (Chris) and he's a carb wizard. That you switch to reserve at 90 miles is about 50 miles too soon if I recall correctly. Chris advises and also repairs and rebuilds them. He's notorious.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

So was showing someone my issue and noticed that my Choke Lever is broken off and that the cable it very loose. They said its very possible that this is causing the issue. That with the lever broken off and the cable loose, that the choke may be partly closed and is causing the bike to starve for air while getting too much fuel. it would also explain my running rich smell and "burbing" when down shifting at high rpms. Any thoughts? And with that being said would 98+ parts work on a 2003 600?

Comment

The choke on the Kat doesn't work like that. There is an extra jet in the bowl for an enrichener circuit, and the lever opens and closes a plunger that activates this circuit.

That being said, yes absolutely this could be the cause of your issue. Good find.

As far as I know, any 98+ stuff should work. I think the only difference is the tails.

Comment

Working...
        X