X

Bring Back The Katana!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Back The Katana!!!!!

I own a 2000 Katana 750 (my second Katana). I have owned over 20 bikes in the short time that Ive been on two wheels (everything from dirtbikes to BMW's). I can honestly say that my two Katana's have been hands down my favorite. They have bulletproof engines that will take you anywhere you want to go performance wise. They are easy to work on and mod. And they are insanely dynamic in that you can have an enjoyable track day with one and then the next go on a cross country trip and be comfortable on both counts. Also, I dont hear alot about this feature in the forums but the frame (yes steele) is exceptionally rigid and stable when the things get curvy. So....why doesnt Suzuki bring it back? Hell, why did they stop production in the first place? I know that bikes are discontinued for various reasons (financial, production, economies of scale, etc.) but I for one would be standing in line to buy a new one if they brought the Kat back (and no the GSX 650 is not a Katana). What does everyone else think???? Lets sound off of this...
    Last edited by signaramatn; 12-13-2011, 07:24 PM.

Why would Suzuki bring it back? That would be a financial disaster when you're the only one who buys one.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

With the bandit 1250FA and the gsx650 there really isn't a market for it. they have their bases already covered. The bandit 1250 has a steel frame and good comfy posture, and it has a few more ft.lbs. to offer with a few more ponies compared to the gsxf750. from what i hear the gsx650 takes the spot left open for a smaller displacement sport touring bike if your a cheap noob or if 1250 is just too much .
      In my opinion they don't need to make anything else.

As to why they stopped production? The EPA is harping down there backs to build bikes that have lower emissions. With bigger displacements it is harder to decrease emissions than with lower displacement. (hence why we(us market) saw a water cooled B1250 before we saw the gsx650.)

water cooled motors can run higher compression better than oil cooled bikes. compression is a factor in how efficiently an internal combustion motor runs.
      So as the EPA sets emissions lower and lower the need to adapt to modern technology appeared. (hence why carbs are on the way out of production lines as well).
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
        (hence why carbs are on the way out of production lines as well).
        Carbs aren't on the way out, they are gone. As of 2006. That is why they discontinued the Katana. It had such a negative connotation, they just put it out of it's misery instead of redesigning it.

Comment

My Katana was a good, all-around, street bike. And, probably enough bike for most casual riders although most wouldn't admit it and would buy a Gixxer 1K just to satisfy their egos. For me, it was a free bike and a good bike to get back into riding after taking 10 years off.

That said, I think the Katana's time has come and gone for all of the reason's Tony mentioned. The good news is that there are plenty of them out there so you should be able to snap one up for some years to come if you really want one.
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Even Harley-Davidson is EFI now.

Comment

Both of my current mounts - 06 Kat 750 and 05 ZZR1200 are carbed - and I wouldn't trade either for a Gixxer or any other SS. Both are more than capable in the handling department, comfortable, and plenty fast, and cheap to maintain and insure. I'd certainly buy a new Kat 750, if Suzuki decided to reinstate her.
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                So as the EPA sets emissions lower and lower the need to adapt to modern technology appeared. (hence why carbs are on the way out of production lines as well).
                These emissions are measured at certain points in the enginemap. For instance, here (Belgium) maximum speeds are set at 50, 70, 90 and 120km/h. (30, 45, 55 and 75 mph) So at those exact speeds the bike is set to have lower emissions, so pleasing ecological groups. This is know as an 'eco-dip', cutting performance in order to pass ecological tests. These test are done at these fixed speeds, because they figure everyone will drive the maximum speed. Basicly they choke the engine at those points, which leads to a 'dip' in the performance graph. It is done mainly with FI engines although the latest carb engines can have it too.
                My guess is that an electrical enhanced carburettor will come back for a second life..
                Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

why would electrical enhanced carburetors make a second life when efi is the same price?
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

Well, first off I think the only reason to elctronically enhance carbs is to compensate for any atmospherical change without having to open up the carbs again.
                    The carburettor is a surprisingly simple but effective system to get the fuel-air mixture into the engine and I think with the arrival of new fuel sources (i.e. hydrogen cell) carbs can step into the picture again. Maybe it's just me being old-fashioned, but I wouldn't give up the idea of caburetted engines just yet.
                    Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
                      Well, first off I think the only reason to elctronically enhance carbs is to compensate for any atmospherical change without having to open up the carbs again.
                      The carburettor is a surprisingly simple but effective system to get the fuel-air mixture into the engine and I think with the arrival of new fuel sources (i.e. hydrogen cell) carbs can step into the picture again. Maybe it's just me being old-fashioned, but I wouldn't give up the idea of caburetted engines just yet.
                      I love carbs as much as the next (maybe more lol) cus there SOOOO simple to tune for the most part and very easy to clean and fix if theres a problem..... BUT with everyone making efi theres not a chance in h*ll that there gonna come back.. other than maybe custom high performance rigs.. but surly not stock oem machines.. theve made it so efi is just about cheeper to make than carbs and eisier to control as far as emisions.

and for the Katana.. it lasted 20 years on basically the same frame. with 2 differant body fairings. and roughly the same engine. its not surprising they put it to rest. theres not much that could change and still be concidered a kat.
                      if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

If they brought the 05 out in either cc arrangement, I'd consider getting one. Time and trends don't mean a thing to me. I've been teaching Beowulf for three decades and it always comes out the same. I live for it.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I have yet to see a GSX 1250FA (or whatever they call the 1250 with the fairing stuff/touring stuff) and probably never will as the bike is failure, at least in the 'states.
                          When I looked for a new bike earlier this year, I looked that one up on the 'net. For the same price, I could get a one year left over Concours 14 which would also give shaft drive, traction control, dash computer with tps and more power/performance. The current year C14 was only a couple thou more. So, after only owning suzuki's for that last 30 years, I jumped to the Kawa camp.
                          Why pay for yestertech?

Comment

I couldn't give up my Kat for anything might cram a b12 in there in a few years but love the look and style of the pre Kat.

Comment

I love my kat, but I wouldnt be spending showroom prices for a new one if for some reason they came back out. I already have a kat, don't need 2, a secondary bike purchase will be an ss or an enduro.
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
                              X