X

Another near miss (my first)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another near miss (my first)

I'm wondering if some of you guys / gals could provide me with a little advice. Since I've gotten my Kat, which is my first bike, I haven't had any close calls until yesterday. I was out riding on some country roads and was approaching the crest of a hill. I wasn't speeding or doing anything stupid. As I came over the top of the hill, here is some dirt bag half way in my lane swerving around someone on a bicycle. Had I been in a car, or any further to the left in my lane, I would have hit him head on. I would say it was less than 2'.

By the time I processed what was happening and grabbed the brake, it was over. At that moment in time, I realized that there was nothing that I could have done to avoid a potential collision. I was so shaken up that I had to pull over and sit down for a couple minutes.

I'm assuming there is no way to practice for something like this and it's more luck than anything else. I've only had my bike for about 2 months and if you would have offered me $20 for the bike right after that happened, I would have sold it to you.

Obviously, after calming down and breathing for a little, I'm better. I just want to better prepare myself for things like this, but I'm not sure there is any way to do that. I just don't see how there was enough time to do anything other than pray that it's a near miss and not a collision.

I live near amish country in Ohio, and I ride there anytime I want to get away. I always tense up on the crest of hills down there, cause I know the jackass tourists have no clue how to drive around a buggy... (wait until you can see OVER the hill, moron!)

It sounds like the only thing you could do was to expect that and be prepared for it to happen.

I would have given you a $100 bill if I had seen you

Don't let it stop you from enjoying your bike.
    1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

Unfortunately you can't control the idiotic bahavior of others. What you can do is take this experience and use it to affect your riding habbits in a positive way. From now on whenever you come to the crest of a hill, you will be extra alert. You may also decide to drive as far right on the road as possible until you crest the hill.

It takes time and practice to develop the special attention techniques that are required to be a safe motorcyclist. You not only have to worry about your driving but that of everyone around you. Eventually though, it will become second nature and an almost subconcious habbit. You can never let down your guard. It will just become easier to keep your guard up and still enjoy riding.

I've been riding for 35+ years and have had my share of close calls and a couple of actual mishaps. Some of them are just unavoidable, but you can do your part to keep them to a minimum.
      Last edited by KatanaGSX92; 11-28-2011, 11:19 AM.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
        Unfortunately you can't control the idiotic bahavior of others. What you can do is take this experience and use it to affect your riding habbits in a positive way. From now on whenever you come to the crest of a hill, you will be extra alert.
        +1 Well said
        Blackdog
        DRz-400e plated
        Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

It happens to everyone sooner or later. Shake it off and learn from it. Every time you crest a hill, anticipate such azzhattery.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

sometimes when cresting a hill I'll stand up on the pegs to get a better view ahead.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
              It happens to everyone sooner or later. Shake it off and learn from it. Every time you crest a hill, anticipate such azzhattery.
              vwvortex.com : jettajake00
              midmoriders.com :jettajake00
              Go Cardinals!

Comment

Don't ride with fear, but do ride without presumptions as to the car in front, behind, left or right has any idea you are there and has enough of a brain or concern to care. That way you stay on high alert all the time. Do it long enough and it will become second nature.

Comment

Good advice above. Nothing more I can add except to say I am glad it was just a near miss for you. Reflect, learn and adapt is all you an do.

Comment

Originally posted by expvet View Post
                    Don't ride with fear, but do ride without presumptions as to the car in front, behind, left or right has any idea you are there and has enough of a brain or concern to care. That way you stay on high alert all the time. Do it long enough and it will become second nature.
                    what everyone else said.

just turn every experience into a LEARNING experience.
                    Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                      sometimes when cresting a hill I'll stand up on the pegs to get a better view ahead.
                      I do the same thing. I feel like a Meerkat though.

I always go way to the right on all hills that I can't see past. I cringe when ever a bike is ahead of me and I see them on the left side of the lane.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Anticipate every possible calamity and think through it just in case it occurs.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
                          I'm wondering if some of you guys / gals could provide me with a little advice. Since I've gotten my Kat, which is my first bike, I haven't had any close calls until yesterday. I was out riding on some country roads and was approaching the crest of a hill. I wasn't speeding or doing anything stupid. As I came over the top of the hill, here is some dirt bag half way in my lane swerving around someone on a bicycle. Had I been in a car, or any further to the left in my lane, I would have hit him head on. I would say it was less than 2'.

By the time I processed what was happening and grabbed the brake, it was over. At that moment in time, I realized that there was nothing that I could have done to avoid a potential collision. I was so shaken up that I had to pull over and sit down for a couple minutes.

I'm assuming there is no way to practice for something like this and it's more luck than anything else. I've only had my bike for about 2 months and if you would have offered me $20 for the bike right after that happened, I would have sold it to you.

Obviously, after calming down and breathing for a little, I'm better. I just want to better prepare myself for things like this, but I'm not sure there is any way to do that. I just don't see how there was enough time to do anything other than pray that it's a near miss and not a collision.

i would have turned around and chased the guy down. I live in one of the worse places in the country crackcycle wise( we have the ironman in lake placid, so all spring and summer long we have a bunch of a-holes riding in the middle of the road in spandex and a 10-speed) I guess u get use to it. Personally i don't give them more than my silverado's tires hitting the yellow line and with a set of 44 flowmasters they can hear me and get in the oversize shoulder. It seems that its mostly other tourists that seem like they would rather hit you head on then get within 20 feet of the bicycles.

iv chased a few people down and gave them a talking to for cutting me off or almost killing me, but im a licensed carrier

Comment

Hug the median or the shoulder (depending on what kind of road you are on) and never cruise in the middle lane... That is what I have always done after my first near miss... Always make sure you have a place to either veer off to, or in worse case stop, drop and attempt to roll out of traffic... I would rather drop my bike and save myself a lot of physical injury then nail a car head on...

This is what I was taught by my dad anyway.. If you have to wreck the bike in a semi-controlled manner that keeps you safe from becoming a bug on someones windshield, then so be it... Bikes can be repaired or replaced...
                            The hardest part is coming to terms with that tho. Mentally I prepare myself before every ride by remembering some basic facts and situations and that is one of them.
                            Last edited by numus; 12-05-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

One thing to note, like you said if you would of been in a car it would be all over. Staying alert on hills is prime........

Riding alert is important. I am happy you were not hurt.
                              sigpic
                              98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                              Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Working...
                              X