X

Questions about Okinawa...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Okinawa...

Hey all. Got word that we will be PCSing to Camp Hansen, Okinawa next year. I've done enough research to figure out that taking my Kat over there is going to be a giant pain in the a$$. Will have toi ship to mainland Japan for emissions and brake testing (2500$) as well as registering it (japanese title etc). WIll have to replace brake light (integrated lights are NO GO) as well as replace D&D with stock can.

Anyone have any advice regarding purchasing a bike over there? Where? Are there dealerships? Is the normal cost lower or higher than here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

Holy sheet!!!!!......... I can't give you any advice other than to bring your gear with you. A bike will come up.......... they always come up.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I'll see if I can get ahold of a friend there. He's been there for 15 yrs, some specialized comm job with the Air Force. He liked it so much he has stayed and there are very few trained for his mos. I guess the only time they train a new one is when they know the old timers are leaving.
      sigpic

Comment

http://www.lewkiw.com/html/mc2.html#misc facts

Basically from what I've read, and I can't find the exact site, the system is basically set up to keep foreigners from riding bikes in country. Expect to seek a 400cc license, and expect to pay out the wazoo for it. There is one very explict blog about the trials, tribulations, and cost associated with a westerner obtaining an M license over there.

Also take a look at the youtube videos of how they ride over there and decide if that's for you or not
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks, guys.

MCSSLS: I look forward to hearing from you, soon.

Steve, I will not be on mainland Japan, and I can get an intermediate liscence (which covers 400cc to 1000cc I believe). I have an MSF card, as well as a valid US liscence. I should not have any issues getting an international permit/liscence. It's around 700 yen (if I remember rightly) for the liscence.

The main headaches would be shipping my Kat to Mainland Japan for brake and emissions testing (around 3200 dollars US), and doing the re-register when I get back.

I'll be looking to buy a bike over there (way more cost effective/less headache). That way, it's all taken care of in one stop. I hear there are dealerships over there, but my google skills are shyte, and I turned up no actionable intellegence on the subject.
          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
          Semper Fi

Comment

See if this works...
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Best of luck Scout! Looks like you'll be dropping a couple of cc's till you get back state side, LOL!

Comment

My buddy Joe, who is stationed at Camp Kinser, Okinawa just told me that there are dealerships in the south end of the island, near Naha. He also told me to bring as many cartons of smokes as possible. He said the Jap smokes are shyte.
                ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                Semper Fi

Comment

Not sure the full story on this, but a buddy of mine spent a couple years over there (civvy). This is what he cruized around on and once he was about ready to come back to the states he disassembled it and shipped to his dad piece by piece then rebuilt it when he got home. Anyway heres a couple pics CBR150RR.

Romans 1:16
                  Romans 5:8
                  Psalms 109:8

Comment

As a military dependent, you're going to be in a hugely different position than a civilian would normally be in.

No BX/PX/NEX for smokes? You may have to go to Kadena AB for your shopping. Can't be far. Okinawa isn't that big. matter of fact, when I went looking, the Kadena AB website mentions that you have to go to Camp Foster for registration, insurance, licensing, etc.
                    "Joint Services Vehicle Registration Office on Camp Foster can assist with all matters related to vehicle operations, inspections, insurance, etc.
                    "For more information, visit the JSVRO Web site at www.mcbbutler.usmc.mil/jsvro or call 645-7481/3963."

As for licensing, when I was in Germany we got our drivers licenses on base. You just needed to pass a written test on the local road signs and traffic laws (got a briefing on base) and show a valid US state DL. I'm pretty sure they've got something like that.

I'd be looking for one of those tricked out 400cc bikes they don't export to the US. Word is they're a lot of fun and if you watch your household goods weight allowance you can ship it back. If you don't want to keep it they sell for a pretty good price over here.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

smokes (Marlboros) were big time bartering tools there as well as Levis. My uncle had us send them to him and he'd send back electronics galore.

No answer from my friend over there so I emailed his mother. Been just long enough since I last talked to him that he may have rotated stateside.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X