X

A really hard decision

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A really hard decision

hello everyone im faced with a hard decision here and need some help or advice. so exactly a month ago i had one of my three brothers taken due to a cager not knowing how drive. for some this would be enough to stop riding, me on the other hand i just tried not to think about it while riding.(sometimes very hard to do) and so today i got another call my next oldest brother was in a bike wreck due to a cager pulling out in front of him also, and so he laid his bike down to avoid impact and the driver of the truck never checked up just keep going leaving him lie in the street.(obviously a p.o.s person.) hes just got a couple of broken bones it was a 40mph lay down. my thing is this makes me scared to ride on account of other people. i dont think im just being a puss butt i cant help butt to think am i going to be next in line! is this just one of those test were you step back and ask am i rider or not? or is this enough proof to tell me its time to hang it up? i would appreciate any advice or aspects you all have on this situation. thank you all

This is where you say.....It's my life, it's my ride. Put on your gear, start her up, and go have some "you" time.

Comment

Anyone in your situation would question riding, it's your decision as to whether or not you want to continue.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Isn't there a saying about taking the rider off the bike but not taking the rider out of the person. I went through a spell of "I'm done riding" but the love of it fially got the better of me and before you could say gixxer I was back on two wheels. The moral of the story is, take a break if you have to. That much pressure on someone while riding can't be good and is apt to cause a wreck do to the destraction. If, aNd more importantly WHEN, the NEED to ride grips you again, mount up and injoy the h311 out of it.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

^All of the above. What you do is a personal choice.
          I've gone down more than I care to remember, and a few times it was my fault. Several years ago I was doing one of my favourite runs to Lighthouse Cove and a pickup came around a bend 1/2 way into my lane after I had already chosen a line. Needless to say I had to adjust, went onto a gravel shoulder and came "up close and personal" to a few mailboxes. I let off on the throtlle and rode it out, no braking whatsoever. When I got to the Cove, I had to collect my thoughts for an hour. I came to the conclusion that I don't fear death...... I fear not living my own life. Over the last few years a few of my co-workers and students died, and none of them rode bikes. "Do what makes you happy" is what I adhere to now.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

People die in car crashes every day
            You could trip and bang head on the side walk and die
            You could die in your sleep
            ETC ETC ETC

Higher risk activities could cause your number to come up sooner than later so can you or do you want to live under the cloud of that fear

Riding is probably something you guys have done pretty much all your lives since its kind of a rare thing to have multiple members of the same family riding

Do you park your bike for a couple months or do you walk away from it for a couple years or forever

A member here's Mother inlaw took up riding a couple years ago
            From what I have heard she has had plenty of tip overs etc and I would have thought she would have gave up riding sooner given her experiences
            I know I probably would have

To ride or not is only something you can answer for yourself
            You would not be a "puss" if you decide to hang up your gear
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

A week and a half ago I got broadsided on my bike by a schoolbus that ran a stop sign. I was wearing my gear, not riding fast and paying attention but am here nursing a separated shoulder. For a few days I thought about do I get back on when healed. I decided that yes. I want to enjoy in this life the things that bring me happiness and riding is one of them. All you can do is minimize the odds as best you can and accept what God or destiny has ahead. I know that my situation is nothing compared to the pain and heartache that you are feeling, and you should not feel like you are wussing out because of your doubts, it is totally understandable. Let a little time pass and if you feel the urge to mount up know that you should only do so if you feel confident and commited that you are ready and will not be distracted by bad thoughts. It is hard to understand why things happen but we must never lose the faith in ourselves that lets us venture into the unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by My96coupe View Post
                ...today i got another call my next oldest brother was in a bike wreck due to a cager pulling out in front of him also, and so he laid his bike down to avoid impact and the driver of the truck never checked up just keep going leaving him lie in the street.(obviously a p.o.s person.) hes just got a couple of broken bones it was a 40mph lay down. my thing is this makes me scared to ride on account of other people. ......

If you can park the bike and walk away to never ride again... and be okay with that, then you should.

You will notice the text above from your quote I put in bold. I'm not trying to point fingers or anything, but seriously... and I mean this because once you understand it, you will be better prepared if you don't put the bike away...

If you have time to mentally process intentionally "laying the bike down" to avoid a wreck... then you have at least twice as much time as you needed to react to avoid the accident! People who intentionally lay the bike down do so because they have not prepared them selves with the nessasary skills and muscle response needed.

This biggest clue this is true... Did he go down and hit the vehicle sliding into it? Or did he not hit the vehicle.

It's alot easier to not hit the vehicle when on the wheels... jus sayn.

What you can do for yourself is prepare. Purchase and wear the right gear all the time. Take courses to help give you the skills needed to drive defensivly on a motorcycle to avoid accidents. Take courses to give you the skills needed to better control the motorcycle. Practice frequently things like emergency stops. Make avoidance and emergency maneuvers become part of your muscle memory. Improve your perception of dangerous situations before you put yourself into them.

And sorry to hear about your bros.....

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

As many of the others have already stated on this thread, do whatever you decide to do. One thing to remember should you consider to continue riding, is to always ride your own ride, wear proper gear, and employ SEE - Scan, Evaluate & Execute - meaning always stay alert, believe that no one can see you, and always be prepared that some half wit will be too absorbed texting/GPS/talking/etc to pay attention to their surroundings.
                  2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                  2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Ride safe, but don't stop riding. A lot of accidents can be avoided by riding more carefully. Most wrecks are riders that are riding too fast for the conditions they are in. You have to be ready for a dumb @$$ to pull out. It happened to me once, I ended up hitting the car and laying it down hard, Now I expect idiots to pull out!
                    "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
                    "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

I think the key thing here is for you to be prepared for anything at anytime like everyone else has pointed out. I seen the MSF strategy S.E.E. ( Search, Evaluate, Execute ) posted above and I live by that. Treat every cager like it is out to hurt you. Search well ahead of where you are, and every cager you see, act like it can not see you. Go ahead and plan an escape route and what you would do IF they were to do something.

S.E.E. saved my tail earlier this afternoon. I was doing 60 mph and this car was ready to enter from the left. I was completely cut off and if I wouldn't have been ready I would have been a new ornament on her car. But I was ready and chose to swerve around her. As I did, I looked at her and guess what, she was on her cell.

You can never be too prepared. Take a safety course even if you already have. Practice safety maneuvers over and over. Sorry to hear about the family, I know that has to have your head going crazy.

Comment

well you will all be happy to know im keeping the bike. 85% of my family is against it butt who cares, its what makes me happy. as im sure its the same with all of you when i get on my kat all of my problems fade away and their is truely nothing like a nice day on the kat. i have even had a close call since this original post butt thanks to me paying attention the accident was avoided. thanks for all the advice guys!

Comment

Working...
                        X